Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Aygo Ice

unclefester

Had it a few months now and it's great. Does all the things it should, doesn't do anything it shouldn't. I do 80 miles a day in it going to work and back - almost exclusively back roads - great fun if a little heavy on tyres and brakes. I've done 6k miles in it since buying it ( it had done 14k when i bought it) and the brakes are almost gone - new discs and pads on the way for it - picked up when it was serviced.

MPG for anyone that cares about this stuff seems to sit around 55 to 60. Usually get just over 220 miles from the first 2 bars on the gauge. Did Glasgow and back for a shade under £80 - utterly impressed with this as well as the comfort.

Wish i'd bought one years ago! It reminds me of my first car, small, light and good fun to throw about - all of the fun is in trying to keep hold of as much speed as possible :)

If you see me fizzing around between Stevenageish and Milton Keynes - wave like a loon!

Stuff fitted

Rev counter :D Can't wring its neck properly without one

OEM mats

4 matching tyres - EcoSport3 or something, much better than the cracked and leaking EcoSport2 that were on there.

Proper AERO Wiper Blades!!

OEM Sill scuff plates

OEM front and rear mud guards

Side protection mouldings so careless people in car parks don't dent the thing

Upgraded headlamps - heavy duty ones that don't vibrate to bits.

Fog light relay, 2013 Headlight stalk with both fog light controls, OEM foglights

Sorted out some rattles though ....

Foam blocks in the sunvisor locating pin recesses.

Wrapped insulating tape around the parcel shelf pins.

Rebolted the rear seatbelts as the washers were loose although the bolts were tight.

Silicon greased the door and boot seals - no more creaking.

Small cargo straps through the rear shelf and under the parcel shelf pins - no more rattling.

It does seem to have a bit of a sticky throttle but it can go back to Toyota for that and the ride could do with being a bit less pogo stick but it doesn't bother me enough to want to spend money doing something about it.

Also - if you want better sounding audio from the built in MP3 / bluetooth unit - play your music via A2DP from your phone - gives a much better signal source and a much better sound quality, although 'better' is relative :)

I guess some pictures of a fairly standard looking Aygo ICE the day after picking it up .....

Aygo 2013 ICE

Aygo 2013 ICE

Aygo 2013 ICE

Now done 10k miles in it. Replaced the front tyres as after 10k of cross country abuse they were worn out.

I cannot find anything about it that annoys me or irritates me in any way at all. Engine is loosening up nicely with use, 2nd gear will pull close to an indicated 60mph now :driving:

Oh and i now have a full bike license and as a result of that, got an old but fun 1994 CB500 to bang around on for a year until i get some miles in.

Update now on 32k miles - done 18k in it.

Removed the polllen filter and slung it in the sink with some hot water and washing powder, it was making the car stink, primarily because it was full of road crap. Sprayed some of that AC cleaner spray stuff up into the vents and put the clean filter back ... all good.

Had a bit more time of late to get fed up with the rattles from the trim in this so decided it was time to do something about it.

Removed the front door cards and rear trim pieces and did the following;

1. Foam strip around any exposed metal that is touched by plastics

2. Foam rubber washers on both sides of the trim panel clips

3. Foam strip under the window switches

4. Foam inserted under the metal speaker grill brackets.

Net result is a car that does not tinkle and rattle its way down the road like a half empty biscuit tin.

That brings me to the next problem ...... now that i can turn the headunit to volume 30 and not distort the sound .... I need MOOARRRR power!

So picked up a doubledin facia adapter from liquidice on eBay and an ISO lead adapter from the same place.

Also picked up a JVC AVH61BT off eBay in decent nick for 140 quid - http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?archive=true&pathId=133&modelId=MODL029190

I didn't need the full MHL/HDMI mirror link thing, i just wanted a bigger screen and better sound source.

Hopefully this all arrives by Friday and i can fit it on Friday .... failing that it will be over the weekend and i'll end up doing the fitting on my lunchbreak at work as usual :D

That's it for the moment, got my eye on a set of upgraded mids and tweeters for the front ... and will definitely be getting a Pioneer or Kenwood underseat active sub but that can wait until Christmas :)

Ok ... i lied .... should not be allowed on eBay at work!!

Picked up a pair of these http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php/index.html/_/reviews/speakers/vibe-lite-air-6-component-speakers-r683

Woofers only for £30 delivered, 40mm mount depth - result. I'll just replace the stock door Speakers with these and that should be good enough until i sort out an underseat sub.

And apparently i lied twice .... same seller for the Speakers had some 'open' packs of Dynamat going cheap ... so that's 3 packs of that ordered too. Might get it into the doors before winter blights us but if not it can wait until a warmer weekend, anyone that's ever fitted that stuff knows it's a nightmare to apply unless it's nice and warm first.

Oh my! :lol:

Sounds like you're having as much fun with it as I do with my Yaris! :naughty::lol:

Got the headunit from a place in Germany, (arrived in 2 working days brand new - £214 as opposed to £140 for something a year old and 2nd hand off eBay .. no brainer ) and the dash adapter in the post yesterday ... so this morning i've fitted the headunit into the dash adapter ready to go in the car.

Didn't bother with the metal cage. Reshaped the holes on the supplied dash adapter brackets to fit where i wanted the radio to go and it sits as flush as flush can be. Fitted sticky foam trim between / around the plastics so there are NO rattles. I cannot cope with rattles :chair:

This afternoon / tomorrow i'll go out to the car and deal with the next part of the job. If that goes as well as this bit did ... i'll be very happy.

20151022 084957

20151022 084951

20151022 084915

20151022 084856

20151022 084848

Won the auction on a set of tweeters and Xovers to go with the Speakers i found on eBay the day before but not going to fit those until i've sorted out the headunit.
Also had to order a PC-86-4 Quadlock Fakra connector and a PC5-137 Aerial adapter .... I'm also on the hunt for the blue trim clips as one of mine has naffed off behind the dash somewhere :D
Emailed contact at Toyota to see how much they are.

Hate companies who tell you they do next day delivery on stuff and then don't - waiting on the poxy loom and aerial adapter :disgust:

Mutters .... got the stuff today. Speaker wires are correct but the Power / Earth side of the Quadlock are just a mess, nothing lines up with anything on the loom and there's SFA ( in English at least ) that i can find that tells me what does what.

Now, i appreciate i can find out most of this with a multimeter ( tomorrow ) but there are 4 wires that come out of the car in the power part of the Quadlock ... these are black and white, white, brown and a light pastel blue. My earth on the new side of the quadlock does NOT connect to anything on the Aygo side ... so that needs moving over.

I can take the feed for the powered aerial from the JVC - that's not an issue.

As far as i can tell, blue is 12V live ( for memory ) and brown is earth - no clue what the black and white and white are for!!

By the looks of the loom i've got, i need to go on the hunt for a switched 12V live to actually power the thing up - possibility that could be the white wire in the block.

Tbh i've had a bellyfull of this for the day and i'll go at it with a multimeter in the morning. I hate you Mr Toyota.

Found it.

http://www.citybugclub.nl/index.php?topic=12250.msg261696#msg261696

I need A9 and A12 which are Earth and permanent 12V live respectively. The second of the connectors in the loom ( that does not connect to the Fakra / Quadlock at all I need B1 ( grey) and B5 (green ) which are Switched live and illumination. I will use bullet connectors to T into those wires.

I will of course test it with a multimeter first but that's the nuts and bolts of it :)

Connectors1.jpg

20151025 095822

20151025 091431

Done. Aerial works, dimmer works on lights, memory / switched live are correct - happy with that.

Good work! Have to say I think the double din units look better than the single din (like mine).

Yep - agreed but I cannot for the life of me figure out why Toyota brought in that wiring change so close to the end of the life of the car - unless that was a precursor to the new Aygo wiring ... but whatever, it's done now and it works. I just wasn't expecting to have to hack into two parts of the loom having gone to the bother of buying the correct adapter :D

Speakers and sound deadening can wait for another weekend, my fingers need to defrost :)

Drive into work this morning ....

1. ***** that's a whole lot louder :D

2. I don't know that it needs better Speakers.

3. I think the money spent on better Speakers would be better spent on an active sub as there's only so much bass / volume the tinny door skins can handle.

I think for £215 ... that JVC unit is just perfect for the Aygo and i don't think there's much wrong with the factory Speakers.

Ok next job is the Speakers. So looking at the diagram below and using a bit more of Google .....

Connectors1.jpg

Had the tweeter out of the dash and it looks like there is an inline filter and then it passes an untouched signal back out for the existing stuff which is good as it means once the tweeter 4 way plug is disconnected, there is nothing else going on at either side of it.

Left dash tweeter 4 plug contains

Pink - input from HU

Purple - Input from HU

Brown - output to door speaker

Black - output to door speaker.

Right dash tweeter 4 plug contains

Blue - input from HU

Green - input from HU

Red - output to door speaker

White - output to door speaker

I need these for the line in feeds for the new crossovers.

A2 - Right front + = BLUE

A6 - Right front - = GREEN

A3 - Left front - = PURPLE

A7 -- Left front + = PINK

I'm not remotely worried about the colours of what feeds the new door Speakers / tweeters when i hook up from the crossover outputs, i'll make sure i go from marked - / + on that to the correct -/+ on the new Speakers as i'll use the existing wires to the doors and new wiring for the tweeters.

What door speakers ? Vibe Liteair 6 - mount depth 44mm and a healthy power handling ability ... should bolt in without too much issue.

Tweeters and Crossovers - £20

Woofers - £30 quid

Sound deadening - £24

Check out how thin Neodymium magnets are for the power handling .... and yes, i realise this is going to need an amplifier fitting eventually :oops:

20151027 130618

20151027 130611

20151027 130552

20151027 130503

20151027 130447

20151027 130434

20151027 130430

20151027 130425

Won an 8" underseat sub on that thing you should never go on when drunk .... almost got an Amp but managed to hold myself back :bag:

• Like 1

Pioneer TS-WX22A - i like the spec because it's easy to drive and simple to wire in. I had an Alpine SWE-1000 in the previous car, wish i'd not sold that on but hey ho eh? I know the sound limitations but equally, i know that all i'm after is the bottom end frequencies taken away from the main door Speakers. To the point that i'll fit this first and then see about door Speakers / sound deadening after that :)

SPECIFICATIONS:
- Maximum power of 150 Watt
- Frequency response 40 - 200 Hz
- Efficiency (1W / 1m) 101 dB
- Woofer size (cm) 20 cm
- Woofer material composite cone woofer with Strontium magnet
- Strontium Magnet Yes
- Built Receiver 150
- Built-in variable LPF (50-125 Hz, -12 dB / oct.) Yes
- Input line level RCA / speaker Yes
- housing capacity of 5 liters
- Dimensions (w. x h. x D.) 250 x 265 x 110 mm

Nice, some bass in the Aygo really makes a difference! I was actually wrong in my previous post, I used Vibe for the 6x9s on the parcel shelf. The underseat sub is a Focal which as I say is astonishing. To this day I still cant believe how much thump a single 8" in a small enclosure can give. Not cheap but the results are amazing.

I had 2 x 10" Kickers Dual2 L7 in my old car .... that got downgraded to one in the S2000 as there isn't the space for more ... i don't think the Aygo would stand up to the abuse of the other spare Kicker - plus i like having some boot space.

Tbh for the £45 i paid - I'm just not going to grumble :)

If i get really bored of the lack of volume, i'll make some spacer rings up and bolt the new Speakers directly to the door - that will stop all this NVH nonsense.

• 2 months later...

Installation was a piece of proverbial ****. Multi grommet in the firewall made the worst part easy and wiring in everything else was a doddle.

Sound?

Vastly improved and no need to turn the thing up to daft volume to get a nice sound and the new layer of bass that's there hides the remainder of the rattles. Not going to bother upgrading the main Speakers, they are fine as they are.

It ticked over 40k miles too - big service done and I guess at some point it's going to need its first wash :hang:

• 3 months later...

Winter tyres need to come off this now - the handling, whilst entertaining is just getting a bit squirelly.

Found some Sparco RTT 15"  wheels in the correct fit / offset with the right ( albeit cheap ) tyres on - perfect for what i need.

Made a foam gasket for the rear high level brake light ( leak fixed ) as Toyota were quoting a 4 week lead time for the part.

Other than that ( and it still hasn't been washed ) the thing is still fautlessly thrashable.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the way that double din looks!

The standard is a single din, though the face of the stereo itself is oversize? Isn't it?

How does the new facia panel make space, does it soft the buttons down a bit and the "cubby" up?

How much was it? And where, eBay?

Standard is a single din yes. Stereo fascia is over sized to fill the gap at the front.

New fascia panel makes space by going deeper into the dash ( hacking required ) and shrinking the top cubby hole a little. Buttons are in the same place.

Think it was from a company called LiquidICE and was <£30.

New wheels arrived today, eBay specials.

6" x 15" ET35. Gives me 8mm more inner and 18mm more outer. That's under the magical clearances that 6.5" and ET40 give me, admittedly only by 1mm but who cares.

Got some Spigot rings to adjust down from 63.3mm down to 54.1 - pictures tomorrow when i get them fitted.

No more 4 wheel drifting on corners on the winter tyres :D

13240727_10153524233360264_7316848040453932143_n.jpg

13263950_10153524233340264_6340999694366936057_n.jpg

13256264_10153524233300264_7668522584942151525_n.jpg

Edited by unclefester
added pics

Looks better. Rides better. Handles better. No more pogo stick ride.

It's a bit more twitchy but not in a bad way and for me, i prefer the extra feedback.

13245483_10153525925605264_2411285202673303930_n.jpg

13320005_10153525925585264_4132346310702461503_n.jpg

13325455_10153525925675264_26763282045204867_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the new wheel centres today - finishes it off nicely.

20160609_102802.jpg