Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Aygo Ice

unclefester

Not much done to this - picked up a genuine rrmrest off eBay, so fitted that today ... nice and secure, definitely worth getting the proper one. Also picked up a set of new mats off eBay for peanuts, comes with BOTH holes for the drivers side mat..

I can finally throw out the really cheap ones it came with.

The eagle eyed will spot that the plastic is grey and my car is black plastic ... but with the silver paint that shows inside the car, it sort of fits and being honest, i could care less when i'm driving as the arm rest will be down.

20161217_135052.jpg20161217_135013.jpg20161217_135027.jpg

I really fancy one of these. I did try getting hold of an armrest months ago but nobody had one so I gave up. I didnt know there was actually an OE one available. Do you mind measuring the width for me? I just want to make sure it would fit between my seats as the gap I have is quite a bit less than stock. Thanks.

I'd say 10cm at the narrowest and 12cm at the bottom ( widest) with a gentle taper from 12cm to 10cm as you move up the neck to the top piece. If you have the original handbrake surround fitted, the bottom piece is exactly flush with that as it sits in / on the rear ashtray recess of that piece.

Thanks Fester, I will have a closer look. I am using the stock centre console, but it sits underneath the area of the seat bolsters so its not a problem. I think I will be OK, but I will have a measure up today.

• 2 months later...

Picked up a brand new Irmscher ( From Irmschers eBay shop in Germany) backbox for a shade under £200 - there were / are two on eBay for £185 and £195 respectively but both were > 3 years old and looked a little shabby. Figured i'd rather cough a tiny bit more and have new.

I could care less how much power it doesn't have but i DO like the noise it makes, a noisy triple is a  happy triple. 

edit - they clearly have more.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=262869917684#ht_1152wt_1397 

Fitted in 30 minutes on the drive .... was expecting that to be a worse job than it was however the original silencer is FUBAR. The mount in the right hand wheel arch ( drivers side ) was just about ready to snap off.

2 new tyres fitted, existing cheap Nexen 3000 **** had gone 50p shaped. They came with the alloys so not worried.

Will replace the other 2 at the weekend and then that's all the horrid droning dealt with.

What tyres are you going to replace those with?

Tbh @ 50 quid each fitted ... Whatever the tyre place chose. I'm motorways / A roads on my new 15 mile commute so they just need to be round :)

Suppose if they're £50 you didn't get cheap no name tyres. I did that once when I was skint, the minute it rained I would go in a straight line if I was trying to go around a round about.

• 1 month later...

Fitted a reverse camera ( had one lying around ) stupidly easy and stupidly pointless. Think this might get sold soon  for a Swift Sport.

• 5 months later...

After carrying almost 800kg of sand / gravel / paving stones and other stuff back from B&Q a few months back, the time has come to replace the suspension. Picked up a Koni STR.T kit off eBay for the princely sum of £250 delivered ( brand new ) so that will be going on over the next few weekends.

Hopefully that will sort the handling out.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice subtle drop, handling / roll much improved / reduced.

22496296_10154820962365264_6477345545703142212_o.thumb.jpg.26532c58e9411828042b30776f22f161.jpg

• Thanks 1

Nice work Fester

I am quite fond of Koni/H&R and the price you got it for was a steal.

Your recent B&Q escapade woke me up a bit though...800Kg load?! My car with only me in it and a full tank of fuel was 970kg on a weighbridge. With a Max GVW of 1190kg for the Aygo, you would have been around 49% over the limit. Current DVSA sanctions are £100 for 5~10% over, £200 for 10~15% and £300 for 15~30%. Anything more than that and it's straight to court. And at 49% it's quite possible that the case would have been aggravated with a 'dangerous vehicle' tag. It would have been quite a nasty penalty mate. Be careful!

Edit: And just to add, theres quite a few more DVSA officers floating around than people realise - most get mistaken for Highways officers or some other enforcement. The added chance that your car would have been very visibly overloaded would have been too tempting for any DVSA officer to ignore.

*chuckles* 

If you stuck 4 really %$(ing fat people in there you could hit 800kg no bother at all!

Yep and still be up in court!

Its quite surprising really, I only started looking at weights when, out of curiosity, I got mine on the weighbridge. The Aygo pro-rata for its size seems to have much less capacity for weight than many other cars and even 4 'regular' adults would take it to the limit. Probably why a tow bar isnt reccomended either. They seem to have scrimped everywhere when designing the Aygo, as weight limits are 90% based on brakes, suspension and chassis components which is prob why they fitted rich tea biscuits for brake discs. That said, braking seems pretty strong in normal conditions IMO. It could all go to pot of course at the max weight (which I have never done). Could be a worrying scenario in court in the event of a fatal though, given that most users would probably assume that 4 fat adults and a full boot would be perfectly within limits! 

It's how they kept the weight / cost down - pretty sure the clutch is only just about up to the 67bhp as are the bearings and other components. When you come from a FIAT Seicento, cheap and tinny is relative :D

11 hours ago, unclefester said:

It's how they kept the weight / cost down - pretty sure the clutch is only just about up to the 67bhp as are the bearings and other components. When you come from a FIAT Seicento, cheap and tinny is relative :D

Coming from a Fiat Cinquecento (1994 model), I second that :-)

• 4 months later...
On 27/10/2015 at 12:54 PM, unclefester said:

Ok next job is the speakers. So looking at the diagram below and using a bit more of Google .....

Connectors1.jpg

Had the tweeter out of the dash and it looks like there is an inline filter and then it passes an untouched signal back out for the existing stuff which is good as it means once the tweeter 4 way plug is disconnected, there is nothing else going on at either side of it.

Left dash tweeter 4 plug contains

Pink - input from HU

Purple - Input from HU

Brown - output to door speaker

Black - output to door speaker.

Right dash tweeter 4 plug contains

Blue - input from HU

Green - input from HU

Red - output to door speaker

White - output to door speaker

I need these for the line in feeds for the new crossovers.

A2 - Right front + = BLUE

A6 - Right front - = GREEN

A3 - Left front - = PURPLE

A7 -- Left front + = PINK

I'm not remotely worried about the colours of what feeds the new door speakers / tweeters when i hook up from the crossover outputs, i'll make sure i go from marked - / + on that to the correct -/+ on the new speakers as i'll use the existing wires to the doors and new wiring for the tweeters.

What door speakers ? Vibe Liteair 6 - mount depth 44mm and a healthy power handling ability ... should bolt in without too much issue.

unclefester - Tom Man Great Post very useful!!! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

What does the name of the topic "Aygo ice"  to do with the comments below ? :)

• 11 months later...

Because that's what the model of the car is - or was because as of tomorrow, it gets replaced with a 2014 Fiesta ST3.   I no longer need two cars so both the Aygo and the S2000 are off to new owners and i'll be either in the Fiesta or on the Z1000.

Thanks for all the help folks, seeya around 🙂

Sorry to see you go Fester, been good to cyber chat with you.

That said the ST Fezza is a cracking car, I dont blame you for the change. Bit envious tbh. Although the S2000 is a good bit of kit too.

Stay the right side up when on the Big Z though, and may you have many joyous summer rides on it 🙂

Just be aware that Fiesta/Focus ST's are easy and popular thefts. Take precautions such as a good quality approved steering wheel lock and protect the keys.

Last February, a neighbour had his 2017 Fiesta ST stolen from the roadside outside our house. Driver's window broken, admittance gained through the window, device plugged into the OBD socket to mimic key and driven away. Took all of three minutes at around 11am on a sunny Saturday morning.

Thanks both - not worried about theft around here. I'll multilock it if anything.

WBAC was brilliant with the Aygo. Utterly hassle free and 750 over trade in, about 250 off private sale ..... Except no buyers to deal with.

Will pop some pics up of new one tomorrow but as above, thanks for being a good set of folk and it's been a pleasure.

If anyone is after a fun fast replacement for their Aygo, i can recommend either of these!

53048040_10155888785490264_6683885512568078336_o.jpg