Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Head Gasket Issues Resolved?

alexmasonuk

Hi,

I was reading through a number of posts regarding the Avensis 2.0 and 2.2 diesel engines. I am just looking at buying a 2012 Avensis Tourer (T-Spirit D-CAT) with the 2.2 engine, but I wonder if the head gasket issues have been resolved? A lot of the failures I have seen reported here are in pre-2010 models. Just thought I would ask advice on that prior to making my choice, as it looks a nice example with auto box and full leather.

Many thanks,

Alex.

Hi Alex, while nobody can guarantee that you will never experience head gasket failure, the issue with premature failures was addressed and I read that models manufactured in or after February 2009 are fixed, so with a 2012 model you are well out of the danger zone.

An extract from the following thread http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Vehicles Covered

Those vehicles fitted with AD diesel engines;

* Avensis with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Feb 2009)
* RAV4 with 2AD (Prod. Date: Jul 2005 to Dec 2008)
* Auris with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Sep 2006 to Sep 2009)
* Verso with 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Nov 2008)

Having had a 2007 2.2 (which thankfully never suffered the problem) I bought a 2012 2.2 with full knowledge of the previous issues (tbh I went out looking for a 1.8 petrol TR but got offered a deal that I couldn't resist). I have faith in Toyota standing behind their product & warranty but I have availed myself of the "2 years for the price of 1" offer on extended warranty (transferable) which should take my car through to 2019 when I expect to be looking to change.

The head/head gasket issues do appear to be behind them as we have seen virtually none on the T27/RAV4 here after 2009 build cars.

One thing I will say is that the D-CAT Auto is a thirsty combo, probably averaging 15-20% less mpg than a non-D-CAT manual.

Many thanks all for the responses, that puts my mind to rest. With regards to the fuel economy, thanks for mentioning that Heidfirst but I wanted an auto for a while now so I will probably give it a go. Haven't actually had opportunity for a test drive yet, perhaps tomorrow.

Hi Alex, while nobody can guarantee that you will never experience head gasket failure, the issue with premature failures was addressed and I read that models manufactured in or after February 2009 are fixed, ]

Thinking of a 09 tr myself,any way to find out if engine was built after February,have engine number from car report

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links