Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Led Headlights Install

wastedagen

So after my email to that contact customer support team they immediately booked the car in to have the whole headlight assembly replaced under warranty at my local service centre. Took an hour and a half or so but the replacements are much better for lateral illumination. Seems this is a known issue as the booking mentioned a bulletin that toyota must have sent around. I've now replaced the headlights with Leds, similar to wastedagens. Got them from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221917257719?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Was it both headlights you had replaced or just the passengers side? When they did mine it was both - i think. I know in all the correspondence they talked about headlights plural but as I never got any paperwork i couldn't prove anything.

They did them both, you could see into the workshop from the waiting area. I have some paperwork that mentions replacing them but no reason why etc, just that they were replaced under warranty. Strange that they didn't ask anymore details, mustn't be the first time they've someone has mentioned it obviously. Makes a fair difference to the lateral illumination though!

They are better, there's no question about that but they still don't have that "kick up" at the end of the beams which would pick out road signs etc and that's something i miss. Maybe I should get one of them windscreen pillar mounted chrome spotlamps like they use in the rally cars.

They set mine borderline high and i've got to watch eg if i'm accelerating up a hill at night that i don't blind oncomoing traffic, had a few angry flashes on that so i tend to run with the adjuster down a click. Quite happy with the beam intensity though.

Yeah i know what you mean, they seem to be very effective at cutting out the light above the cut off for low beams. Ah not sure mine are too high, well not been flashed at yet! Cut off seems low enough when coming up to cars infront. Wonder what the new LED ones are like on the 2015 Auris facelift

• 1 month later...

First post here on TOC, so hi !

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on this. Just ordered what appears to be the exact same bulb from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231776460746

Coming from China, so may take a couple of weeks. Significantly cheaper than horizonleds though. Keen to try these in new Auris and will update.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on this. Just ordered what appears to be the exact same bulb from ebay:

Coming from China, so may take a couple of weeks. Significantly cheaper than horizonleds though. Keen to try these in new Auris and will update.

As these aren't CANBUS bulbs, presumably you've also bought the load resistors mentioned.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on this. Just ordered what appears to be the exact same bulb from ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/231776460746

As these aren't CANBUS bulbs, presumably you've also bought the load resistors mentioned.

No, I'll see if I get an error message first. I think the OP was OK without the resistors ? Current draw should be more friendly compared to HIDs in any case.

AFAIK, Toyota's don't have a bulb check, so resistor should not be necessary.

• Like 1

Yep didn't need them on mine. 2007....just plug and play.....

• 2 weeks later...

The new set I installed from the post above (P6 110w 6000k LEDs) seem very good, good spread with no hot-spots. Not sure about brightness vs HIDS as I have never installed them in my Auris. R.

• 3 weeks later...

Have installed it at last led 9012. Its much brighter than the hids that i had and good spread as well no hotspots. I did go for the 8k look

Next will be foglights. I cant seem to fit an h11 bulb on it. Anybody have change there foglights to led?

On 30/12/2015 at 10:11 PM, will.i.am said:
On 30/12/2015 at 10:11 PM, will.i.am said:

Hi, I bought these from Horizon LEDs and I paid £124 for them and they're exactly the same kit, to get these for £33 is quite a saving and i feel like i've been mugged by Horizon.

I ordered from them on 3 separate occasions and I can say in all honesty that in 15 years of online shopping that they are the worst outfit I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. high post charges, indifference and they will post it when they're ready, 17 days wait for the first item, 9 days for the 2nd item and 8 days for the 3rd item, also the wrong part, all this despite the promise of 2/3 days delivery from Bradford to Merseyside, their website is great but they are useless, never again.

On 12/30/2015 at 10:11 PM, will.i.am said:

Update.

The bulbs duly arrived from the Orient in ~12 days or so. bulbs were dead easy to fit and only a small tweak to the headlamp aim was required. I was not convinced they were any brighter than the standard halogen bulbs however. I performed surgery on the bulbs using my Dremel; they now throw a bit more light forward and seem to put more of their Lumens onto the road. I now think they are an improvement vs stock halogens. I also found the RHS bulb had not been installed correctly into the holder, a point to bear in mind if you are attempting this yourself (had no experience with H11 type bulb previously).It's been a long time since I owned a car with HIDs, so cannot say whether the output is comparable. One day I'll get round to a direct comparison with a friends's HID lamps on his beemer.

Autos LED

Autos LED

Auris LED

Thanks for the pics and write up. But I have to say that if you are only comparing to the stock halogens then I think somethings wrong. The ones I got from horizon were as bright if not brighter then my HID's.... Also I didn't have to touch the bulb unit at all... Just installed them and they gave the same beam battern as my HID's. 

One of the reasons I bought from horizon is that they stated they use the NEW Extreme High Power Cree XLamp XHP50 LED imported from the USA. I hope these work out for you once you do compare them to some HID's. And don't turn out to be a Chinese knock-off.... 

• 3 months later...

Well Ive been running my old LED headlights since Mid October every day for at least 2 hours and I haven't any trouble what so ever. Absolutely love them. But as technology moves so do I....

I have now bought and installed new LED Headlights. These are Philips Luxeon LED's where as the old ones were Cree. These are now 4000 lumens each , before were 3000.

Again I have been running these for about 6 weeks, 2 hours a day and again absolutely no issues. Thoroughly recommend....

20160404_095936.jpg

20160404_100009.jpg

20160404_100024.jpg

20160404_100034.jpg

20160405_170432.jpg

20160405_170435.jpg

20160405_170439.jpg

And how it looks installed. No problems either as there is loads of room in and around the headlight housing....

20160404_101432.jpg

20160404_101421.jpg

I do notice a difference in brightness. Never need my Main beam now unless flashing someone. I have also checked my beam alignment and all is good. Never been flashed yet!!!

My old ones are now my DRL's.....They work fine for that too. And also Dim to 30% at night with no issues.i.e flickering etc.....

• Like 1

Where did you get the new ones and what's the price? 

• 4 years later...

Hey guys,

I have Toyota Auris 2013 Hybrid Hatchback and around 1 month a go I've changed to LED Headlights as well. Sending the pic of LED headlights. 

Problem is that on the right side I've noticed that half of LED lights are off and they've started flickering a little bit, so I had to replace them with warranty. Now same thing is happening with left side but not as often, maybe anyone knows if I need to get Resistors for my LED headlights so it betters the signal to the system. I've done a little Research suggesting that LED has almost half less Wats than halogen ones and that can be an Issue with with newer than 2010 cars.

Thanks in advance!

the flickering you are getting is a sign they are starting to burn out and fail,

as long as they're canbus compliant you shouldn't have any issues ,

regarding resistors years ago this used to be a problem with indicator bulbs

as the flash rate would be too fast and canbus errors without resisitors being fitted,

the resistor puts an extra load on the power being used and make the canbus system 

think the std bulbs are fitted

anyway contact your retailer as you're in need of another replacement

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2015 at 2:09 PM, TomdeGuerre said:

If the issue you're having is complete lack of lateral illumination then try going to http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-auris-hatchback-review and register your complaint. I had the same problem, logged my complaint, they put me onto Toyota GB who gave me a case number and eventually supplied new headlights.

Edit: Better to use http://blog.toyota.co.uk/how-to-contact-toyota-uk

Hey, do you think this works today? My auris is from 2013. (I dont know if I need to be in warranty or not )

Also, do you think it works in Portugal?

8 minutes ago, Tiago Soares said:

Also, do you think it works in Portugal?

Need to check with your Toyota importer.

41 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Need to check with your Toyota importer.

I did not import the Toyota. I bought it here. (Portugal)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links