Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Charging In Situ' Ctek, Streetwize Or Aldi ?

PapaEcho

Hello. On retirement 5 years ago, wife and I decided to buy a new Yaris. Mileage is fairly low now, so we're hoping this car will 'See us out' :)

I'm also looking at a charger that will maintain a spare 85Ah Battery, I use for other stuff. Searching the net, I came across an Auto Express article which recommends :-

CTEK MXS 3.6 at £50

CTEK MXS 5.0 at £60

Streetwize at £30

Newsgroup uk.d-I-y are talking about the Aldi XS charger, due out this Thursday at £13.99. A quick google at the pdf user instructions, shows that it can be permanently charged and (I guess) the technology is very similar to the above, more expensive models. Since retirement money is a bit tight, so the Aldi job looks attractive. I'm aware that charging a FLAT Battery in situ is not a good idea. However, for maintenance purposes ...

Q1. Does anyone charge their Battery in situ? in their garage.

Q.2. If 'yes' where's a good spot on the body to attach (-) neg crocodile clip?

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

I got both the CTEK 3.6 and LIDL Ultimate Speed 3.8 - and both work a treat!

Though LIDL (or ALDI) ones are much much cheaper :)

I used to SORN my summer car, but leave the Battery in the car,

So charger/conditioner is permanently and directly clipped on the Battery terminals for 6months ...

Usually Battery is charged (or completely re-conditioned) within 48hours - dependent on the condition of the battery....

I have a cheap eBay Battery conditioner connected to my Morris Minor (I think it was around £12 some years ago). The car stays in the garage all winter. It's permanently connected to the negative and positive terminals (positive earth) which remain insitu at the same time. It alternates between charging to capacity then discharging for a period.

The Battery must be 5+ years old now and still good. So using the device doesn't appear to have had any detrimental effect. I was a bit apprehensive at first considering how little I paid but so far so good.

I'd have a go with the Aldi jobby first, it looks to be similar in style to the one I have which is 12V only and just has a green and red l.e.d. . :jockey:

Ah, thanks Wayne and Mrpj, I think I'll take a punt with the Aldi XS. I'm still a bit puzzled why the online pdf instruction manual, suggests you connect the charger's neg croc clip to the chassis, rather than the neg post on the battery.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ow3fs8r

If I remember right. It's ALWAYS better to connect negative to ground (chassis) - even when jump starting a car!

Don't ask me why - someone will come along and explain...

I just find it easier to connect to neg Battery :)

CTEK I have had my CTEK for around 8 years Brilliant, I got it for my Honda Gold wing It was left on over winter with Battery still connected also used on my BMW 530 just left on all the time. I now have a Prius Plus and I always charge car Battery every month it good practice, you can leave these chargers on all the time they fully charge then discharge around 5% then do a maintenance charge called a "float charge" if your cars in your garage just attach and forget, designed to stay on Long term

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links