Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d Engine Issues

Blizzard95

Hi,

Just to ask is the issues noted in the diesel models only a small number of cars or a lot?

I have read, or some of you replied to a question i asked, saying that from 2005 to February 2009 production had a higher likelihood of issues.

What I'm trying to say here is I know of a few 2007 cars, no issue with them, so based on this is it generally safe to assume once a car has a full service history and maintained well that the likelihood of issues should be minimal?

Are the 2007 d4d the identical same engine as that fitted to the new shape 2009?

The newer shape Avensis uses both the 1ad-ftv and 2ad-ftv engines and they are substantially the same, but the ones built after February 2009 have modifications to the design which reduces the likelihood of head gasket failure. There are plenty of the earlier Avensis around with no issues, and it has been discussed here that the numbers may amount to a few percent of vehicles in those years that had an issue. If I were considering a vehicle in the problem years I'd read up on the early symptoms of failure, look very carefully at the vehicle in question to see if the head has been off, if it's a private sale question the owner in a very innocent way about oil use and make a call based on the facts. Your likelihood of issues seems to be lower with the 2.0 than the 2.2, but the power will be lower too. 2.0 vehicles pre facelift used the 1cd-ftv engine which is a completely different design and is considered bullet proof by many taxi drivers.

• Like 1

Devon Aygo said this a couple of years ago in response to a query about "Brian's car":

Two faults are known to exist on models fitted with the 2.0 & 2.2ltr AD engines:
* Head gasket failure, this was counter measured in Feb 2007
* Excessive oil consumption counter measured in mid 2009
Both faults have extended warranty cover of 7 years 111,946 miles ONLY on cars built before the counter measures. So if Brian's Avensis was built in 2008 and "only" has a failed head gasket and not excessive oil consumption then his dealer is correct his car is not covered by the warranty extension.
There is only one exception that Toyota will accept which has to be supported by photographs of carboned and gunked up pistons from the dealer, and this is head gasket failure caused by excessive carbon build up on the piston crowns which causes a phenomenon called "Carbon stamping" which damages the head gasket. Toyota accept this as carbon build up is caused by excessive oil consumption for which Brian's car would still have some cover.

Hi,

thanks for reply,

is the 1ad the 2litre and the 2 ad the 2.2?

is that correct about the avensis up to facelift not using the ad engine,

i read this on another thread and it mentions the 1ad and 2ad from 2005 to february 2009

is the 1cd-ftv engine in the first d4d from 2000-2003

just to mention, the car im considering (2009) looking at is with a dealer,that sold the car new and traded back in one owner and 45000 miles, fsh

"AD Engine Out of Warranty Guidelines (0730J)

We are pleased to advise that we have received more formalised guidelines from TME for the handling of AD engine problems on out of warranty vehicles. The coverage and processes are summarised below.

Conditions Covered

1) Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000 km)
2) Overheating & Head Gasket failure due to carbon deposits on the pistons

For all other out of warranty conditions related to AD engine problems, where the customer complaint can be directly linked to a “carbon clogging” concern, i.e. EGR Valve, DPNR, 5th Injector, EGR Cooler, blocked manifold, etc., we would accept this as being linked to an oil consumption condition.

Vehicles Covered

Those vehicles fitted with AD diesel engines;

��Avensis with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Feb 2009)
��RAV4 with 2AD (Prod. Date: Jul 2005 to Dec 2008)
��Auris with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Sep 2006 to Sep 2009)
��Verso with 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Nov 2008)

Hi,

thanks for reply,

i read this on another thread and it mentions the 1ad and 2ad from 2005 to february 2009

just to mention, the car im considering (2009) looking at is with a dealer,that sold the car new and now traded back in to him,one owner and 45000 miles, fsh

"AD Engine Out of Warranty Guidelines (0730J)

We are pleased to advise that we have received more formalised guidelines from TME for the handling of AD engine problems on out of warranty vehicles. The coverage and processes are summarised below.

Conditions Covered

1) Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000 km)

2) Overheating & Head Gasket failure due to carbon deposits on the pistons

For all other out of warranty conditions related to AD engine problems, where the customer complaint can be directly linked to a “carbon clogging” concern, i.e. EGR Valve, DPNR, 5th Injector, EGR Cooler, blocked manifold, etc., we would accept this as being linked to an oil consumption condition.

Vehicles Covered

Those vehicles fitted with AD diesel engines;

��Avensis with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Feb 2009)

��RAV4 with 2AD (Prod. Date: Jul 2005 to Dec 2008)

��Auris with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Sep 2006 to Sep 2009)

��Verso with 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Nov 2008)

Hi,

thanks for reply,

just to mention, the car im considering (2009) looking at is with a dealer,that sold the car new and traded back in one owner and 45000 miles, fsh

yes

as far as I know

I believe T22 1997-2003, then T25 2003- ~mid 2006*

Ask them when it was actually produced (if it's a Toyota dealer they will have access to this info) as there may be a difference of some months between date of production & first registration.

*edited following avensisd4d786's post below

• Like 1

1cd went up to 2006 I have a 06 build date 04/2006

• Like 1

My 2007 Avensis 2.0 D4D had a "new" engine fitted under warranty in 2012 before suspected head gasket failure found by dealer at service. The interesting

thing for me is that Toyota supplied no paperwork so I have no evidence either way about the state of the engine or that there was ever anything wrong with it.

My 2007 Avensis 2.0 D4D had a "new" engine fitted under warranty in 2012 before suspected head gasket failure found by dealer at service. The interesting

thing for me is that Toyota supplied no paperwork so I have no evidence either way about the state of the engine or that there was ever anything wrong with it.

That is common amongst manufacturers where a repair is completed either under warranty or under goodwill. Over the years, we've had the same when repairs to our cars have been completed under warranty - and for cars from Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Mazda, and Toyota. At the end of the day the manufacturer, warranty administration company or dealer are paying for the repairs, so any paperwork goes to them.

The digital service history that Toyota dealers have access to should have the replacement engine recorded.

It is usually the same with service plans - the paperwork goes to the company handling the service plan administration - unless one requests copies of the invoices as part of the service plan.

your 3/4 engine will have another number, you should get the eng. no. off the garage that did the exchange as you have to tell

the DVLA of the change and you will get a new up dated document. don't make the same error I did and put 2AD in front of your number when filling in your old V5 doc. as according to the garage that changes mine said it is no longer stamped on the block and did not appear on the paper work I got from them. maybe this is a way to tell if it has had the updated block fitted?

B-A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links