Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Rav 4 -Fuel Filler Pipe

Aqualung666

Having problems locating the above part for my Rav. I'd filled up the tank over a week ago and came out of work to discover a nice pool of diesel and a steady drip from just in front of the rear passenger side wheel arch..drove it to my local gargae (not Toyota) and left it with them whilst I went away for a few days. Rang the on thursday to see how they were doing with the repair to be told that they had had to order the part from Belgium as it had to be a Toyota part cos no other parts companies did it.

I called in to the garage where the car was up on the ramps with the wheel and wheel arch off and you could clearly see almost the entire length of the filer pipe is corroded. He said he had chased up the part a few times but they were talking November for delivery and a cost of around £180 + labour + Vat...so expensive!

I've had a trawl around the internet and can't find this part anywhere so I believe what they are telling me, but thought I'd try on here to see if any one knows of an alternative or quicker way to get the part.

It seems to be a fairly common issue with Ravs and a poor design by Toyoya as you wouldn't expect to have to change a fuel filler pipe after 8 years driving. I'm more anoyed at the length of time to get the part though as it is looking like it will be 3 weeks without a car! Never mind I'd filled the tank full prior to the leak appearing :angry:

Thanks Frosty...I did see that post, in fact I've read quite a few posts on various Toytota forums concerning this issue and there are a few brave/talented souls who have managed to find a work around with various combinations of plastic hoses and jubillee clips. If i had a drive, or garage and the ramps I'd try it but, I live on a very steep hill which is basically a dirt track and there is no way to work on the care in the vicinity.

I'm going to give the garage a few more days and see what they say, but other than waiting I can't see I have much option.

I recently reitired from repairing motor vehicles but I have been contacted by two old customers with this problem they were told Toyota as ran out of the pipes, this is going to be a massive problem, I have recently repaired two Toyota's by using rubber hose/clips etc. don't think it will be a recall but it's going to effect many,many RAV4's good luck with that

it is true to say the part is currently back ordered, but it is not discontinued, there is just a shortage in supply. Place a VOR order with your dealer and you will be put on a priority order

Yep I understand it's on back order, I think it's because Toyota have sold out we will all need one sooner than later I would think, my Rav4 as been really looked after and the grime/salt behind the plastic cover is not ideal, I took my cover off about three years ago when I first repaired a RAV4 with this problem It was power washed then wax oil applied, but I think most RAV4 owners will find it too late and will need a couple of pipes just for piece of mind.. maybe Toyota will realise it's a bad design and offer some repair don't hold your breath...

Ive taken a look at the sales history, it is not a massive mover, the last time I sold one in the whole group was 18 months ago so they dont "all" suffer from it

Spoke again to my garage today and he said he'd been thinking about it over the weekend and the possibility of making a temporary fix until the part comes in but said something about an awkward diametre on the pipe. Anyway he was going to speak to one of his mechanics later today and see if they can do it. I hope so as it is now 10 days it's been off the road and causing me all sorts of problems with work and getting around.

Kingo, do you have any idea of what sort of timescale we are looking in terms of getting the part...the garage said they won't give him any date and it could be November! I haven't asked him if he's requested it as a VOR (what is a VOR?) but I assume he would have done.

Vehicle Off Road

Did not state they all suffer but in my opinion they all may the area is badly designed and a massive void un-sealed which fills with crud/salt, ALL RAV4 owners need to get the plastic guard removed and cleaned and then add some kind of protection, also protect the large pipe forward of the rear wheel plenty of lube needed around the plastic pipe, this is designed to stop stones etc. but again crud and salt get down the short length and it's a ticking time bomb...my ex customers two of them told me Toyota had sold out, I will tell them it's not true and demand one instantly, one every 18months is not much maybe Toyota needs more stock

Well, the Rav is still at the garage, (2 weeks so far)despite being phoned yesterday to say the part was in the local depot and would be fixed later that day...only to be phoned back and told it actually wasn't for my car! Toyota are still saying November for the delivery which I suppose could be next week, or it could be another 5 weeks. It's absolutely dreadful service from them, especially when it is clearly a design fault of their making, and then to have the cheek to charge 180 for what is basically a 4 foot bit of steel tubing.

My garage is going to try and make a temporary fix with some tubing just so i can at least get to and from work, although he did say I shouldn't put more than 5 gallons in the tank...I just hope it's safe to drive around and that no bits of rust etc got into the fuel system when it was corroding.

Whilst I appreciate Toyota have a great reputation for solid build and reliability, I can't say I've experienced any of this with the Rav 4 and it's cost me a small fortune in the 4 years I've had it for very little mileage. I think the next car will be a different SUV or I may even go back to Fords!

The fuel pipe corrosion issue will be a very big problem in the near future, nothing else to say on the matter not sure if I can answer the ford question, without going off subject, the Kuga is superb but ford selling ECO drives very cheap but they are a bit smaller than the RAV4

The fuel pipe corrosion issue will be a very big problem in the near future, nothing else to say on the matter

Thank dog for that then, otherwise you will be giving another set of wild opinions that are yours only

Like I said, the fuel filler neck is NOT a huge seller and is not likely to be a "very big problem in the near future" it is pure speculation based on a few of your customers cars in the past

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying Kingo but why is it so difficult to obtain the part if it's not something that is a widespread issue. I may be wrong, but I always understood that manufacturers had to keep a reasonable quota of all parts?

Think of it this way.

There are several hundred thousand parts lines held in stock in the UK and Belgium. Multiply those numbers of lines Worldwide and you can understand that most of those are made by outside suppliers making them on behalf of Toyota. Those other manufacturers will also be making parts for Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and any number of other car manufacturers. From time to time there will be occasions when those suppliers are unable to meet demand, maybe through planned shut downs, holiday periods, shortage of raw materials or any number of unplanned delays. Parts demands are very carefully monitored, if as the Fox suggests, this part fails regularly, then you can be assured Toyota will make them to supply demand, after all, they make money from supplying goods, they make nothing if they cannot get hold of those parts

I am sure this is one of those temporary glitches we get from time to time, Toyota have a 96% first time pick rate, the highest in the industry, sadly your part is one of the 4% that cannot be supplied from stock

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see...would be my luck to be in the 4% bracket...I wonder if, when the part is fitted, it would be worth protecting it with grease or something to repel water? I don't imagine I will still have the car by the time it corrodes again but I wouldn't want anyone else have to fork out around £300 for it all doing again in 7 years. Mind you by then no doubt the engine will have gone anyway!

...I wonder if, when the part is fitted, it would be worth protecting it with grease or something to repel water?

Yes, Waxoyl, taking care not to coat the rubber parts

• Like 2

My garage phoned me today, they now have a date for the delivery of the part -24th November! Unbelievable, that will be 6 weeks waiting for a part from a global car manufacturer. I understand the issues which Kingo explained, but I'm sorry, this length of time is unacceptable. The inconvenience it will cause is massive and for a part which is faulty entirely due to a bad design.

Hopefully, I will get my car back tomorrow or monday with a makeshift fix, but won;t be able to use it other than for work and other short journeys and will constantly be worrying about if it goes wrong and I get stuck.

The mechanic I spoke to today said it was amazing the amount of corrosion on the pipe and that it shouldn't have been exposed to the elements as it has been. He did say that there was no holes or faults around the wheel arch where water had penetrated, it was entirely down to the design of the system which may well indicate that this, as Fox suggested is going to be yet another widespread problem.

Hate to say it but I have truly had enough of Toyota and once I get passed xmas this car is going.

Well I decided to take a look at mine today after washing the car. Taking the plastic cover off showed the pipes to be in good condition, apart from the bottom bracket where there was obvious corrosion and crud collecting. Not very happy about that as the pipe will need replacing in the future, and it it a design flaw as this area is a trap for rubbish.

It's all very well saying this isn't a fast moving part, but if they're all like this then a lot of this era RAV4s are going to be finding leaks in the next few years! Just for info, my rav is a low mileage 2008 that was garaged and fastidiously maintained the first owners for 5-6 year before I got it. I always wash the road salt out of the wheelarches but this has had no effect it seems,

Maybe I should order the pipe now as the delays in supply are an issue! Another black mark on the supposedly build quality for me, as the last time I replaced a rotten fuel pipe was on a early 90s cavalier.

I have no doubt that there will be a glut of Ravs needing this part in the coming years. Toyota are on to a winner with this part, £185 + fitting and VAT for, what is essentially a fairly simple bit of hose. Seemingly no other parts maker makes it so they have the monopoly on it. If I had the skills I would just do what some others on a different thread did and make their own for around £30.

I'm sorry some don't like my honest statements, the fuel pipe issue will be a big one, the crud/salt trap is on all RAV4's I know some member on here make a living via Toyota which I find the comments they make some times blinkered, If you don't like complaints try working somewhere else or let members if they believe the fuel pipe run is a bad design let them have thier say without personel comments, all RAV4 owners need to remove the plastic guard and wax oil both pipes, and wax oil the convoluted pipe just forward of the rear wheel this is to stop stone damage to the large fuel pipe but it allows crud/salt to hold between the plastic pipe and meatl fuel pipe, only time will tell, but i have seen three badly corroded pipes and been contacted by two other owners I know it's only FIVE

I read this last week, yesterday found a large diesel stain under my Rav ! 2007 ! looks like it's coming up to the time for it to start happening to a few owners. My local garage said Toyota have quoted 10 days for delivery

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally had my fuel line fixed on friday...Toyota had quoted 27th November but it came a week sooner which was good. The temporary fix that my garage had done to keep me on the road for the 4 week wait had worked perfectly and I didn't have any leaks etc. Nevertheless, in total this will have cost me close to £500 to put right and one hell of a lot of inconvenience. Of course Toyota wont be interested in the fact that their design fault is the cause of this ...and as with the steering clunk they are happy for us to have to deal with it ourselves. Yes, I know they have been good about replacement engines and the window switch and suspension but so they should, it is thier errors.

I have the old fuel line with the adaptions my garage put on it as the mechanic said it's likely somebody somewhere will be needing a temporary fix as I did and I'll stick it in the cellar until I can be bothered to put it on eBay or similar. When I inspected it, it's quite scary really as the entire length of the fuel pipe is corroded and it will be a miracle if any Ravs will survive without this leaking at some point.

I would urge people if they can to get the rear wheel off and remove the wheel arch to check just how bad their corrosion is, if you catch it early you maybe able to slow it down. If Ian above was quoted 10 days to get the part then Toyota may have realised that the demand is increasing and hopefully people won't have to wait a month as I did.

Had mine fixed on Tuesday 17th, part was in after a week! I didn't have a temporary fix as not doing many miles and the leak was high up on the pipe so just kept less than half a tank in. It was corroded along the whole length though! Haven't got the bill yet (about a month later usually ! Devon!)