Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Brake Discs?

redmini963

Just had my iq3 serviced at toyota and they suggested i need new discs soon as there is only 4mm remaining also said they were rusty, What is the minimum safe depth on the disc can anyone let me know. toyota have fixed pricing for them @£230 kwik fit said about the same price think ill go with the experts but didn't want to fork out all that just after a service.

Can I ask which model year your iQ is?

Chris

iQ² in black ☆ red and white leather ☆ sunroof ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome handles and exhaust

Here are the manual pages if you want to check thickness's yourself.

I'm surprised they said 4mm left when talking about the brake discs, maybe they meant brake pads and suggested changing the discs as well.

They are ridiculously easy things to change yourself and won't take more than a couple of hours. If you look on eBay you can get front discs and pads for £60 and rear ones for about £50. I have changed my pads and removed the discs to paint them, only need to remove about 3 bolts per side.

Craig.

post-116364-0-91460100-1446192352_thumb.

post-116364-0-84120400-1446192359_thumb.

It's a 2009 front discs only drums on rear it's done 65k. Thanks for the reply.

If they do indeed mean 4mm of pad thickness left you will have loads left. I fell for it after getting an amber warning at last service (January) that there was only 3mm left on the front pads. I did a quick through the wheel check and thought they'd be ok for a while. Come spring and time to put my summer wheels on I bought new pads to change at the same time. Now the book says minimum 1mm friction material mine were still measuring 4mm, so the 3mm warning they gave me was 3mm until they get down to minimum thickness, when compared to the new pads it equated to about 60% worn.

Best thing to do is check them yourself

• Like 1