Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering Light Keeps Comming On

sal1960

hi a newbie here just wanted some advice

my aygo auto 07 ...the power steering light keeps coming on and its near impossible to turn so i have to stop and start it till it goes off i can't see anywhere to put power steering fluid so must work some other way any advice please

Hi

I also have a Aygo had it less than a month, its 8 years old with under 59,000 miles on …I love it ….but today my P/S light came on also…it went off a few seconds after starting and I have (so far!!!) no loss of steering, I bought it in Aberdeen it has 3 month warranty, and I also paying extra premium to AA for repairs, anyway any advice would help….like is it safe to drive?

Aileen.

mine has been doing this for a while now but if i stop and start it once or twice its fine to drive but would like an answer as to why its doing it

The Aygo uses electric power steering and therefore there is no pump/fluid.

Unfortunately, the web is littered with stories of Aygo power steering ECUs failing...

Personally I would get it sorted out asap. The problem, although sometimes temperamental, wont get any better and I consider it a safety issue to have power assist with a mind of its own!

• Like 2

I had this also last februari with the wife's aygo. when its now and then. Check out your Battery ( let it messure by your local garage maybe its almost and the end of his life.

I put i a new Battery in de aygo and had no problem with the PS again

• Like 1

I am a mechanic. We have done several different makes of cars with this problem and it's usually the electronic power steering mechanism that needs replacing. The last one I did was on a Clio. We have yet to see an Aygo or the Peugeot, Citroen variants have this happen. The mechanism is usually supplied with the control unit as an integral part of the assembly, these are not cheap either.

Of course it could be something like a bad electrical connection and connecting it to suitable diagnostic equipment might point you in the right direction.

Hope I might have been of some help.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hiya! I have just tried to start my aygo and the p/s and stop warning light came on and although it is happy to turn over it won't start . Not the Battery although a week or so back I did have a flat and have been running the little car fine since. Any ideas~? It is the fact it will not start. It is a 2008 aygo 2 door . Thanks loads

• 2 weeks later...

happened  to me on my older 06 aygo  and it was the  power steering unit burning  out,   it was  in the bad winter of 09  iirc...  took it to the guy who done my servicing and they  tried to fix  it but said it might not last, they  opened it up   re soldered stuff  etc, lasted 3 months  and  ended up getting  a 2nd hand one off eBay,  took it to him and he fitted it for free for me    no  problems  from it again 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

hi

I needs help my 6 year toyota aygo 2012 steering wheel just went stiff out of the blue, its no longer a power steering like it was before what do I do is it the fluids?

Probably electric power steering - not hydraulic, so no fluid.

On all Aygos that have power steering it's100% electric - in some countries power steering was an option (but not in the UK where it is standard).

5 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

all Aygos that have power steering it's100% electric

I fully agree, mine as well i drive all the time with the light of P/S on, sometimes it works when i turn the wheels sometimes not, I guess my one is faulty, but still couldn't find the time to take it to a garage. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links