Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problems With Tns 510

The Silver Flame

Hello fellow Toyota drivers,

I bought an Avensis 2010 last Friday and so far the only downsides are that it likes to drink diesel like it is the last day on Earth and the other is the reason why I am here.

I have a TNS 510, shocking I know, its not like a said it in the title, jokes a side. The sat nav says it can't read the SD card. "unable to read data. Check if the map SD is correct." I use a micro SD with an SD card adapter. So far I tried the SD in an outside card reader with no problems for both the SD and micro SD. However, I tried copying a music file on the SD and it said that no playable music was found.

Since I purchased the car with the SD set inside I am unaware if it is the correct version for the navi, if it installed or copied correctly and even if it is legally acquired.
I am going to check and see if it can run a normal SD card later today.

I hope you guys can give me an advice how to fix it.

Thank you all in advance and see you soon.

The Silver Flame

welcome to the forum. :)

in case you don't have it already I believe that this is the manual for your system http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7BAA1D1449-9E87-E79E-E0BA-A85EA4D19E87%7D/01955_TNS%20510_OM_LR.pdf

which engine & what sort of mpg are you getting from D4D?

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the manual. I will read it good and furrow.

Actually the engine is D-CAT Automatic gear box. I know it is a big car and all, but my father drives a merc 450hp with 10l/km (sorry in Bulgaria we don't have it as mpg, so I do not really know how to calculate) I don't know how to explain it, but it just something trivial that makes me slightly irritated. Still a good car and I love it.

On a more on point note, I found out that this 510 can't read SD's bigger than 4GB. I tried several SD carts, micro and normal, but those that were more than 4gb could not be read even if it was just music. But to me this sounds wrong, I don't know. What is your opinion?

ps. I got my hands on an SD cart that is 4 Gigibyte which can't hold the navi files. From this SD I could run music on the TNS510.

so you have a 2.2 D-CAT with the 6-speed auto box? I wondered if that was the case. It's the thirstiest version of the engine with the least economical gearbox so you get a double hit - probably ~20% less fuel efficient than the non D-CAT with a manual gearbox.

Is it that it can't read cards larger than 4GB or files larger than 4GB? 4GB is a file size limitation in FAT32.

I guess my question now is, how can I check if the map SD that the car came with is fine? It was inside the car so I can only guess if it was ever working. If I copy the files on a different SD would that help? And does any one think that the SD I have was interfered with by previous owners of the car?

Just a side note. The reason why I am asking these stupid questions is because I saw that to order online the map SD it costs 150 euro, and the local dealership said 300 euro. Which may not be a lot, but where I live, the minimum wage is 130 euro. Of course I am rocking a little bit more, I am getting about 600-700euro per month, which for Bulgaria is like 5 000 pounds in the UK.

Sorry for the wasted time reading this pointless explanation.

Best regards

The Silver Flame

Never had a TNS510 so sadly can't help from personal experience.

I presume that you are operating the head unit according to the manual (on a very brief inspection I note that it mentions selecting mode when swapping between map & music cards)?

I suspect that the SD card that came with the car is either corrupt or non-OEM&never worked (out of interest could you post a picture of it?) but I can't say for sure. I believe that you can't simply copy all the files to another SD card - there is some form of encryption/validation to the original card.

Automotive manufacturer upgrades to satnavs are rarely value for money as they are more expensive (Toyota are actually amongst the cheaper) than a standalone satnav with "lifetime" updates, often get fewer updates & those updates are usually out of date even when first issued (it can take a year between the mapping data arriving with them, coding/compliance testing & issuing it). Of course the units are better integrated with the car but it's a personal choice whether that is worth the cost.

N.B. I believe that you should NEVER disconnect/reconnect your Battery without the map card in the TNS510 - apparently it includes the operating system & if you do so you will brick the system even for audio use. There is more info on this I think in the IQ forum.

• Like 1

First you can't copy the map SD cards, second disconnecting the Battery for a period of time does mean that the unit will reset and read the information from the SD card but I think that it will still read the info if the SD card is put in later but perhaps safer to leave it in place.

Bigger music files can be played using the USB connector.

Well, I was able to copy the information on my SD. But the device can't read from SD cards bigger than 4gb. I am starting to think that this SD that I have is fake. Well, truth be told, the moment I saw "Can't read SD card" the first thing that came to mind was fraudulent forgery.

oh, different question. Does any one with a TNS510 know how big their SD card is? it should be very easy to check.

Thank you very much, Revband, I guess this confirms the faked card that I have in my car. oh well. I don't really need the Sat nav any way.

To be honest I have given up using mine, earlier this year I bought the latest overpriced Toyota maps to find on a trip down France that they were still not showing a lot of new roads, I have downloaded Sygic to my Android phone and found it so much better than the in car system, I use that instead, it cost me just over £14 for lifetime use with four free Tomtom map updates every year speed limit warnings speed camera warnings and all the roads not showing on Toyota system are showing correctly, the 3D mapping is superb I can store routes Etc, sit in the house and program it in comfort, far better all round.

• Like 1

The original SD card has a Toyota sticker on it, sorry can't check mine as have just sold the car.

This is the problem with the factory Sat-Navs. Limiting functions, restrictive search, poor mapping, expensive and out of date updates.

I have only ever used standalone Tom-Tom or Window 8.1 and Android mobile phone sat-nav, with no issues. Even better, when connected to my bluetooth system*, I get clear instructions that cut in over the music.

So you can have integration that works better than the expensive option, of trying to upgrade maps that are out of date.

There are some good aftermarket systems that function as good as factory, working with the steering controls and even have reverse camera, as well as the sat-nav. Look at Android and Apple CarPlay.

* The Novero bluetooth system installed in my Mk1 is very flexible and allows the voice directions to cut in. I have not yet tested my Bluetooth/USB adapter installed in the Mk3, to do the same. The early bluetooth handsfree built into the Mk3 can only function with phone calls.

Thank you for all for the information.

To Mike:

Well, I thought that it should. Mine does not have Toyota brand logo on it. Oh well.

To Konrad and Revband:
I know I could use some other sat nav options. On my phone I have a free program, that does not need internet to function this is the only reason why I got it, that and because the maps are pretty plain thus take up very little space on my phone. Maps.me it was called. It is not that bad as a map and navigation tool.

I don't really need the Sat nav, but I have it and if I have something I always want to get it to work, even if i don't really need it, so I wanted to see if there would be an easy, cheap, and by cheap I mean almost free, and secure way to get my built in sat nav working.

Best wishes,

The Silver Flame

Some free phone apps are reasonably good. I have used "Navmii" on an iPhone to find a location that the TNS510 couldn't. I had the Avensis for 4 years and each time I used the 510 found it difficult to use and often gave up except for just basic mapping, you can't enter a full postcode for example. If you should want to spend money then you would be best to spend it on a standalone system than pay for the Toyota maps.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Good evening,

My TNS 510 Navigation system for my Toyota Hilux 2011 is displaying the following message 'a program cannot be read, please consult to a dealer'.

How do I resolve this error? I can't even play audio function because of this error message. Please assist.

Regards

Moses

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links