Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash Light Dims? When Switch On Lights?

Wayne2015

Hi

I have a 2012 Auris Hybrid

My dash and stereo all light during normal driving

once I put the lights on (not on auto lights) all the light dim

But a few ocassions I noticed the dash lights (speedo) not dim

Today, with the lights on, the dash dimmed - then SUDDENLY they appear BRIGHT again (as if lights not on) :eek:

So,

I deliberately switch the lights OFF and on again a few times,

I can clearly see the stereo lights DIM and then unDIM - but the DASH (speedo) lights just stays on bright??? :fear:

Any reason why? :help2:

Mine all dim when the lights are turned on, but the speedo and the dial on the left (the rev counter substitute on the hybrid) remain a little brighter than the other things that dim.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Mine all dim when the lights are turned on, but the speedo and the dial on the left (the rev counter substitute on the hybrid) remain a little brighter than the other things that dim.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Cheers

But my dash lights stayed on EXACTLY the same brightness regardless if lights were on/off :eek:

Think it depends how the dimmable instrument lighting is set.

For the first generation Auris (up to Nov 2012) with the headlights turned on, press the right hand button on the instrument panel until one sees either five bars or five series of dashes (depending whether one has Optitron or non-Optitron instruments). If you press and hold the button, the brightness of the instrument lighting, etc will adjust - more bars/dashes the brighter the lighting.

For the first generation Auris, the owners manual provides some info at around page 187.

Would imagine there will be a similar arrangement for the second generation Auris (from December 2012).

• Like 1

Think it depends how the dimmable instrument lighting is set.

For the first generation Auris (up to Nov 2012) with the headlights turned on, press the right hand button on the instrument panel until one sees either five bars or five series of dashes (depending whether one has Optitron or non-Optitron instruments). If you press and hold the button, the brightness of the instrument lighting, etc will adjust - more bars/dashes the brighter the lighting.

For the first generation Auris, the owners manual provides some info at around page 187.

Would imagine there will be a similar arrangement for the second generation Auris (from December 2012).

Cheers Frosty!

Found the button on P.194 :thumbsup:

Will give it a go tomorrow

Strange thing is I did not touch that button at all

so why its suddenly BRIGHT??? :eek:

I know its happened a few times before, but couldn't bother to look into it then...

It sounds like the resister or what ever is controlling the brightness has a fault or loose connnection. So if it fails the dials will stay bright. Better than not illuminating at all!

It sounds like the resister or what ever is controlling the brightness has a fault or loose connnection. So if it fails the dials will stay bright. Better than not illuminating at all!

Will it be covered under the original toyota warranty?

Check dash light settings:

1. Normal driving:

IMG_20151106_065751_zps5hkrxipb.jpg

2. With lights on (DIMmed and working as normal :)

- also intensity set to 2 bars

- will check again when it doesn't work proper again...

IMG_20151106_065721_zps2om8ryxu.jpg

OK

2pm

Still day light

Lights on (not on auto)

IMG_20151106_142925_zpsfht31obz.jpg

Broke! :(

Dash lights NOT dim!!!

Also NO OPTION to select set dash light intensity (when push that button on dash) :( :( :(

Also

When drive under bridge where it gets dark, my dash light THEN dims!????

Then undims once passed bridge!

Do you have an auto dim function for the dashboard lights as well as the headlights?

Do you have an auto dim function for the dashboard lights as well as the headlights?

Does my car offer such option?

I don't think so

"Also NO OPTION to select set dash light intensity (when push that button on dash) :( :( :( "

Were you trying to do this whilst moving? If so, I don't think that you can.

"Also

Then undims once passed bridge!"

Sounds like this is being done by a sensor detecting exterior illumination level & adjusting dash brightness accordingly.

Alternatively, are you sure that you don't have it on Auto lights?

To adjust the brightness turn on your headlamps press and release the RH dash button until the headlamp dimming function appears ( display will cycle through MPG. Av MPG, Av speed etc ) once on the dimming option hold the RH button and the dash will cycle through dimming options, you do not have to be driving and yes cars with auto headlamps have a dash dimming function separate to the headlamps being on so driving under a bridge or dark area even with the lights off will dim the dash.

• Like 1

"Also NO OPTION to select set dash light intensity (when push that button on dash) :( :( :( "

Were you trying to do this whilst moving? If so, I don't think that you can.

"Also

Then undims once passed bridge!"

Sounds like this is being done by a sensor detecting exterior illumination level & adjusting dash brightness accordingly.

Alternatively, are you sure that you don't have it on Auto lights?

Car was parked up when trying to push dash button

Deffo NOT on auto-lights, hence I posted that pic of my light stalk in main beam position (not auto light positon)!

To adjust the brightness turn on your headlamps press and release the RH dash button until the headlamp dimming function appears ( display will cycle through MPG. Av MPG, Av speed etc ) once on the dimming option hold the RH button and the dash will cycle through dimming options, you do not have to be driving and yes cars with auto headlamps have a dash dimming function separate to the headlamps being on so driving under a bridge or dark area even with the lights off will dim the dash.

I see! (ref auto dim when under bridge) :thumbsup:

Still does not explain why:

1. There is no DIMMING option (when my car was parked up and light s on) :( :( :(

As I said before, it works fine before (DIMMING option with light s on and dash lights dim when lights on)

But in some case, as like today, it doesnt! :eek: :help2:

As Konrad said above, maybe bad resistor?

I may take it to dealer, but if the problems not appear everytime - very difficult for dealer to trouble shoot :( :( :(

Will ask when at dealer next time...

but for now found this:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-2nd-generation-2008-2013/417084-dashboard-lights-auto-dimming.html

>>>

Have you noticed the dash lights will only slightly dim when you turn on your lights (still daytime), but not the full dim seen at night? If they went to night time dim, it would be hard to see them during the day. The sensor is there so that if you have your headlights on (and transition from daytime to night with them on), they will dim the lights when its dark enough so they are not overpowering at night, and are bright enough so you can see them while its still bright enough out....if that makes sense

It dims under overpasses because the sensor is usually checking every few seconds, but its easy to fall within the checking "window" for short tunnels/underpasses

>>>

THAT must be it! :thumbsup::yahoo:

Couldn't find any reference to it in the user manual....

Does anyone else with auto-light confirm the same? :help2:

• 5 years later...

Bit of a strange one the other day the CVT drive display ( just underneath the charge /power dial) completely disappeared after turning on then after driving for a few miles restarted again CVT display reapeared !,the CVT was functioning normal during this time , mentioned to dealer and there completely baffled had the car 4 years never seen this before  , everything normal for the last few days after this happened 

Probably led's are on it's way out, or just bad connection. There have been few topic about LED being replaced on the dash, more on the newer ones.

When they are really close to going out, they start to flicker.

20 hours ago, jet1969 said:

Bit of a strange one the other day the CVT drive display ( just underneath the charge /power dial) completely disappeared after turning on then after driving for a few miles restarted again CVT display reapeared !,the CVT was functioning normal during this time , mentioned to dealer and there completely baffled had the car 4 years never seen this before  , everything normal for the last few days after this happened 

Same sort of thing happened when I had an Auris TS. Driving along and realised that the CVT display was blank although working when I set off. It didn't come back on until I parked up and restarted the car when all was OK. Only happened the once and never happened again. Had the car for quite a while after this without it happening again so put it down to a computer glitch.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links