Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Prius But Which Model?

MSNP

Hello all,

This is a really stupid question but here goes.

I've had my new Pruis for 3 days and love it. I bought a T Spirit but it doesn't say it anywhere on my car, unlike my only Toyota, which had it on the back.

So how do I verify which model I have?

Thanks

Mario

Should state the trim level on the V5 registration document, and you will have the 2015 Prius, not the 2016 (as per your profile)

v5 arent always right though

We've haven't experienced any errors in the descriptors on the V5's for our new cars (18 to date), and as the V5 informs one of the VED banding for the car, it should be accurate.

If it has SatNav & little headlight washers on the front bumper, then it's almost certainly a Spirit

Thanks for all your replies.

V5 says it's the Spirit but what I'm getting at is why isn't this on the exterior of the car, like it is on my old Toyota Carrolla?

There haven't put trim level badges on some models (like Prius) for some time.

Not sure why.

Ah ok. That explains it then. The last time I bought a new car was 15 years ago.

It does seem odd why they've stopped doing this, how ate you supposed to tell which model you have!

Toyota aren't alone in ceasing to identify the trim level of their cars at the rear. My 2012 Auris has no external Badge to identify which trim level it is, our 2012 Hyundai i20 didn't and neither does our 2015 i20. VW doesn't on some models.

Identifying the trim level by badges isn't ideal - especially where one can buy a Badge from a higher level model and stick that on a lower level.

2 potential reasons that I can think of:

cost: save £1 per car on badging & that's £10 million saved a year.

they did research that said that they would sell more cars if they didn't Badge trim levels

Hahaha so I could buy a T Spirit Badge and stick in on then! I think it's an odd thing for car manufacturers to do!

yes, you can. I have - but like yours mine really is a T Spirit rather than someone trying to pool the wool over their neighbours eyes.

...Identifying the trim level by badges isn't ideal - especially where one can buy a badge from a higher level model and stick that on a lower level.

Not just trim! Many years ago a friend bought a Morris Marina which was ordered, paid for, taxed and insured as a 1.3 litre.

When about 18 months later I heard him mention how quickly the 1.3 went, I told him it was a 1.8!

I hadn't seen the Badge on the boot, but it had the grille of the 1.8 and more significantly the distinct throaty exhaust note of the MGB GT which shared the same engine!

I wonder how the insurer would have reacted if it had been involved in a serious crash...

yes, you can. I have - but like yours mine really is a T Spirit rather than someone trying to pool the wool over their neighbours eyes.

I remember seeing a mk 1 Prius many years ago with a "Turbo" Badge on the boot lid!

Yeah, right!

2 potential reasons that I can think of:

cost: save £1 per car on badging & that's £10 million saved a year.

they did research that said that they would sell more cars if they didn't badge trim levels

and maybe they thought the weight saving would help mpg & CO2 ;)

Toyota dealer, Parts King (send him a personal message detailing your car - incl reg no - and what you want), or Opelise - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/OPELISE-COM-Genuine-OE-Car-Badges/Genuine-TOYOTA-Badges-/_i.html?_fsub=1845203013&_sid=668700293&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

There haven't put trim level badges on some models (like Prius) for some time.

Not sure why.

Since 2010, the 2009 Gen 3 had the Badge, the 2010 didn't.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links