Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Secondary Air Pump Delete

Aidankeenan

Hi guys,

I know this has been discussed alot through the forum but I cannot find any resolutions. I have a faulty secondary air pump and rather than replace I want to see if it is possible to add a resistor in place of the pump. Has anyone here successfully done this?

Any help much appreciated

Aidan

Its quite a while since I had my TSport...

From what I remember, the pump had quite a substantial current draw as you could see any lights (event the panel lights) dim as the motor kicked in.

If the ECU detects the current draw as means of determining a problem then you are going to have to be in the right ballpark to fool it. I would guess the motor was around 150 watts (which would be 10 amps +).

As an initial test it might be worth trying a normal headlight bulb in place of the motor. That would draw around 4 to 4.5 amps. Does it fool the ECU ? If it does then a 2.2 ohm 100 watt resistor bolted to the chassis would probably work. That would draw around 6 amps. If it wasn't enough then you are looking at a 1 ohm 200 watt part.

Disclaimer...

All the above assumes the ECU can be fooled in this way. You need to work down in resistor value to find the highest value (in ohms) that will reliably work (highest = lowest current = least heat = cheaper part). The power rating of the part needs to be equal to or higher than '200 divided by the resistor value in ohms'. So a 1.5 ohm part would need to be 200/1.5 which is 133 watts. So you would need a 150 or 200 watt part.

http://cpc.farnell.com/te-connectivity-cgs/hsc1002r2j/resistor-ww-100w-5-2r2/dp/RE03530

http://cpc.farnell.com/te-connectivity-cgs/hsc2001r0j/resistor-200w-5-1r/dp/RE04137?ost=resistors&selectedCategoryId=&categoryId=700000011448

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone? replaced my pump, replaced fuse, still getting the p0410 fault code for the air pump

Did you replace with a second hand pump? Also did you disconnect the Battery to reset ECU?

yes, the pump itself isnt the problem, and yes i reset ecu, light went off for a few days but its back again. 

I think i might have a small hole in the exhaust (to be confirmed), would that effect anything

How do you know the pump isn't the problem?

Don't think a hole in the exhaust would cause a problem unless it's in the manifold area before the CAT.

becuase the plastic fan part is turning freely, Also when i fitted it I could hear it knock itself off after about 30 seconds or so. Heard a faint click. This was about 2-3 weeks ago so unless it failed like the day after I put it in then I dont think its the pump. 

What is the name of that valve component that the pipe leads into from the air pump (the one near the abs pump). What is the best way to take that apart to clean it and what should I use to clean it? 

If my CAT converter was damaged would it effect it? (almost certain it isnt though as i passed the Irish MOT here with flying colours with regards emissions and that was maybe 5 months ago) not getting any o2 air sensor faults just the p0410

Think that valve is the injection control valve although not sure how you would clean it.

Maybe you have a air leak in the pipe work between the pump and the manifold, worth checking.

Don't think a damaged CAT would cause an issue but maybe a crack in the manifold might, you did say you had a suspected leak in your exhaust.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links