Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Alternator Belt Replacement

Jemmo

Am I right in thinking I can simply slacken off the alternator, remove the belt, and replace?

No need for lining anything up right - just a quick 15 minute job?

There are two bolts that need to unlock/lock and adjust the tension. The on the side of the block is the unlock, and the longer bolt is the adjustment. If you have air-con and need to adjust that belt, the idle pulley has a lock nut in the centre, and the adjustment bolt between the block and alternator.

Thanks.

Doesn't sound as simple as on the old Triumph Toledo.

I'll leave it to the garage to sort out.

Turned out to be a broken crank pulley. So I now have 3 new belts, a new pully and and am £205 lighter.

Broken pulleys are quite common apparently. First time I have heard of it - on a Toyota or any other motor.

Happened to me a few years ago. Most cars now seem to use these vibration damped pulleys. I replaced mine and the belts too!

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/138128-7a-fe-crankshaft-pulley-buying-from-ebay/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/157605-avensis-18-19978-7a-fe-belts/

I had bought spare belts and when the pulley destroyed the belts, I was only a short distance from home. I replaced the alternator belt and drove home. The rest is explained in the links.

Seventeen years is good going.