Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition Switch

mudinuri

Hi all,

Having a problem with my ignition switch, can anyone please advise.

When I place the ignition key into the ignition switch sometimes it will not turn and I have to pull the key out, put it in again and if it won"t turn on pull it out again and try again and again until it turns. It can sometime taken 6 or more tries before it will actually turn. I have tried my other key and that does exactly the same, so it looks like the problem is the switch.

I don"t really want to change the switch because it would mean having 2 keys, one to open the car and one to turn the ignition on, so, is this a common fault and if so what can I do about it. If not it looks like a new switch. Is it pretty easy to change the switch and what tools would I need.

Help please

The electrical switch is separate from the key and barrel, you can change the electrical bit without changing the keys

It sounds like a mechanical problem in the barrel (worn tumblers?) rather than an electrical issue.

Is it possible to have a new barrel rebuilt to suit the existing keys? Maybe Kingo can advise?

As Kingo says you can just replace the electrical bit thus keeping old keys etc, fitted one to my father in laws Lexus ls400 recently was straight forward and easy, two screws at the bottom of the switch holds the white plastic electrical bit on and a elec bulk connector and then it comes off from the ignition switch, just screw new one on. Ignition switch stays on car just remove bottom plastic bit. I got mine direct from Japan at half price of Lexus (£89.00 from Lexus) kingo could give you a price for genuine Toyota.

You could remove the plastic bit and try keys in again to see if barrel or plastic switch, my guess the plastic bit as there is a few balls and springs in there that wear easily.

Item number 251612781252 on eBay is the plastic bit but check right part for your car or see kingo.

Sorry I mis read that, I thought you meant the engine wont turn over

You can get a new barrel with keys, but the new keys would need to be programmed in.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

If I fit a new barrel, where would I have to get it programmed and roughly how much would it cost?

By fitting a new barrel that would mean that I would now have to have two seperate keys, one to open the car because my C/L is inoperative and another to start the car!

Is there no way the original barrel could be repaired?

I read somewhere that spraying WD40 into the barrel sometimes helps so I will try that first.

cheers

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

If I fit a new barrel, where would I have to get it programmed and roughly how much would it cost?

By fitting a new barrel that would mean that I would now have to have two seperate keys, one to open the car because my C/L is inoperative and another to start the car!

Is there no way the original barrel could be repaired?

I read somewhere that spraying WD40 into the barrel sometimes helps so I will try that first.

cheers

Back in the good old bad old days they used to sell repair kits for the ignition switch barrels, it was a new set of brass tumblers and springs. You fitted all the new tumblers, which were untrimmed, inserted the key then scribed off the tumblers level with the barrel body and proceeded to file them down until they were flush which would allow the barrel and key to rotate in the switch housing. It let you keep the original key and saved you all the hassle of having different keys for door and switch etc.

Help.

Where can I get another ignitioin switch barrel from? I"ve been looking on the internet for hours and bar for brand new ones from a Toyota dealer I cannot find one for sale anywhere.

Is it correct that if I fit the ECU and Barrel from a donor car it should work? and also someone else told me that a Locksmith would be able to adjust the tumblers on a new barrel to suit my old keys. Does anyone know if this is right?

any ideas?

cheers

Might be your problem is just dried out lubricant in the old switch and / or a broken bit of tumbler (aka wafer) jamming things up. Maybe if you removed the barrel (aka cylinder), cleaned it all out carefully and reassembled it with a coating of light lithium grease it would work OK.

Never done it myself on one of yours but from what I can gather it’s fairly easy to remove the barrel:

1. Remove the chrome bezel around the switch

2. Insert the key and turn it to Acc position.

3. Locate the little pin underneath the switch and press it in (might have to remove some shroud panels.

4. Withdraw the barrel and key together.

5. Be careful not to withdraw the key once you have withdrawn the barrel/key assembly because if you do all the tumblers (aka wafers) can fall out.

6. Look for any pieces of broken / loose parts inside the switch housing. If you find a broken tumbler don’t worry, your switch will still work without it.

7. Clean out carefully. Wipe off the barrel thoroughly and coat lightly with grease.

8. Reassemble barrel into the switch housing and make sure it clicks home. Try the switch operation.

I might have a result.

This afternoon I phoned my local Toyota dealer ie:Snows of Southampton and spoke to a really genned up guy in their parts department. He told me that the problem could be the key and advised to have a new one cut, he even went as far as looking up the key number for me. Brilliant, thanks mate. Well I later called a company, Complete Security of Holbury near Southampton and they told me to pop along and they would cut me a new key, which I did £19.99 Bargain. Well, this key works a treat as long as I hold the old key as close as I can to the ignition switch before putting the new key in the ignition.

The really helpful guy at Complete Security told me that the original key has something inside(I forget what it is called) which can be transferred to the new key he cut. Now my question is, how do I get into the key to get this whatever it is out?? I have 2 original keys so I don"t mind vandalising one of them. Will it work if I can get the whats it out?

help please

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links