Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Headlight Adjust

kblevis

I have just bought a Toyota RAV4 (2007) diesel D4D.The headlight beams are too low.When I turn the Headlight beam adjusting screws nothing happens,the beams stay the same.Could a member help me on this,I might be doing something wrong.Many thanks for any help.

Hello - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Post moved to the Rav4 club.

Do you have the roller switch to the right of the steering wheel to adjust the headlamp beams and if so does it
work?

Are both the dipped and the main beams low or only the dipped?

It may be you are trying to adjust the dipped beams but are turning the adjuster for the main beams.

Take a look at the post linked which may help you, it includes has a little pdf manual for beam adjustment

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/118195-43-headlight-alignment/

Greetings,Tom.Re the roller switch,it's working fine.It seems I've been adjusting the main beam,whereas the problem is with the dipped beam.Would you tell me where the dipped beam adjuster is please? This will solve my problem.I will say,this is a good site and very helpful.Many thanks,kblevis.

Greetings,Tom.Re the roller switch,it's working fine.It seems I've been adjusting the main beam,whereas the problem is with the dipped beam.Would you tell me where the dipped beam adjuster is please? This will solve my problem.I will say,this is a good site and very helpful.Many thanks,kblevis.

If you follow that link in my previous post, under that thread go to post #5 and click on the attachment Headlight Aim.pdf. If you open up the attachment on page 4 you will find a pictorial diagram of how to adjust the beams. You will need quite a long screwdriver.

Greetings again,Tom. I've had a look at the lights and have found a white Allen key socket deep down on the dipped beam bulb fitting.Hopefully,this is the adjuster to use.Have I got it right? if so,many thanks for your help as I will be able to see where I'm going now.Regards,kblevis. :driving:

That may be the adjuster you have located, I don’t know what headlamps are fitted to your vehicle. You may have the originals or someone may have fitted replacements which have different adjusters. If they’re Allen type they’re probly in the 4 to 6 mm range. Some of these female Allen type adjusters may also have a Phillips head located deeper inside.

Headlamp adjusters come in all kinds of configurations, some are accessed from the front, some from the top and some from the side or even underneath. Some incorporate a 90 degree change in linear direction. When you turn your vertical axis adjuster one way the beam should go up and vice versa. On the horizontal axis the beam should move left and right.

Don’t go adjusting your beams willy-nilly, they need to be set up, ideally with a beam setter, but failing that, against clearly marked out lines on a grid as described in that pdf attachment otherwise you’ll become one of those motorists who blind other people at night.

I don’t know what kind of tool kit you have but if you’re going to do DIY projects on your car you need to get a good set of tools. A ¼ drive socket set is really handy with a comprehensive set of bits for all the different type of screws etc you may come up against.

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll get there.​

Greetings,Tom.Many thanks for your reply,very helpful.Ref. the lights,I have the projector type with H11 bulbs in the dipped beam in so I think you've cracked it.I'll take your advice and on the next service they can put it on the Beamsetter.Regards,kblevis. :cheers:.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links