Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Required.please

mudinuri

Hi,

Just returned home from a wasted journey to Snows, Toyota dealers in Southampton. I rang them a few days ago to arrange for them to fit a new Ignition barrel for which they quoted me approx £120 +vat which included the labour charges. I arrived at the agreed time this morning only to find out that the barrel they ordered does not fit my car because my car has a toyota factory fitted immobiliser, and they now tell me that the barrel I require only comes in a kit which includes the complete switch and will cost £290+vat + labour, but it has to come from Belgium!!!

On my way home from there I called into an Auto Locksmith who told me he could rebuild the barrel for approx £20.00 if I took it off first.

So, the help I need is. IS IT POSSIBLE TO REPAIR THE BARREL AS HE SAID AND SECONDLY, HOW DO I REMOVE IT????

My Haynes manual tells me that I have to remove the whole of the front facia including the steering wheel, but the mechanic at the Toyota dealer took the old one out and put the old one back in in approx 15 mins(Unfortunately I did not see how he did it)

Please, I am desperate because I cant use the car without getting this problem sorted, so any help or advice would be so very much appreciated.

I think you take the cover off around the ignition switch three philips screws, put key in turn to aux the position before full ignition, you should be able to see a small hole in the barrel housing press a small pointed implement in the hole the key and barrel will come out, not done one for a few years but can't see it this process changing much hope it helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links