Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris Hybrid... Fuel Consumption During Winter

Toyota_Auris_Hybrid

Hi guys

Im hoping someone reading this and also has a 2010 hybrid is probally experencing the same problem as me.

I have noticed that since the cold start to the weather, my engine seems to be running alot more then the actual hybrid system, the Battery is not fully charging giving me enough distance or speed to travel to allow me to brake allowing the system to fully charge and when i have the oppertunity to have more then half Battery running on 99.9mpg before the engine kicks in again, and what MPG i was getting 49.9 at best and now its giving me 45.3 in the last few days...

is it best to use power mode all the time or have it in eco mode? eco as in the middle of the dash the green light?

can someone please advise me if this sounds normal or if this is how the hybrids work with the cold season.

p.s im not using no heater's or A/C whilst this is happening.

Certainly like any car the colder / darker the weather - the longer it takes to warm up and with lights on the more fuel it uses...

Having said that - I not notice a massive difference yet in my 2012 Auris ...still getting 50+ at 9 degrees in the morning commute or 52+ at 15 degrees - but I noticed with just a slight difference in my driving or driving condition (be it a bit more traffic, or a little heavy on pedal) it makes a massive difference to the mpg

So far my own driving experience I am most happy with the following for economy and driving pleasure:

1. Push ECO button for most snail pace driving (keeping in the ECO dial range)

2. If whenever I need extra lower or uphill or swift driving - I always push the PWR button and go into the PWR dial range as and when I want

- as I noticed if I push hard on pedal in non-PWR button mode - my car seems to sip more fuel

3. For a bit more grunt - I would opt for the NORMAL mode (than ECO button)

So far I am averaging 50+ mpg

With around 400miles range on a 45litre tank

Still way off the official mpg - but I am happy with that based on my type of driving and terrain

Freezing temperatures from the weekend - so will see if that affect my average figures....

PS: I have my air con, loud MP3 songs and lights on my commute to work...

• Like 1

Winter is not a good time for mpg-obsessed diesel and hybrid owners! :crybaby:

That bad??!!! :fear::eek:

Please can u share your experience? :help2:

MPG dropped from 48 - 49, according to the dash readout, to 43 -44 over the last week to ten days, but there is a lot more use of lights, seat heaters, demister etc with the lower temperature.

MPG dropped from 48 - 49, according to the dash readout, to 43 -44 over the last week to ten days, but there is a lot more use of lights, seat heaters, demister etc with the lower temperature.

U got heated seats?

Lucky u! :)

i like that... by the way im not crying as such just trying to get some info if anyone has expreienced the same thing as i am thats all... back at ya

Certainly like any car the colder / darker the weather - the longer it takes to warm up and with lights on the more fuel it uses...

Having said that - I not notice a massive difference yet in my 2012 Auris ...still getting 50+ at 9 degrees in the morning commute or 52+ at 15 degrees - but I noticed with just a slight difference in my driving or driving condition (be it a bit more traffic, or a little heavy on pedal) it makes a massive difference to the mpg

So far my own driving experience I am most happy with the following for economy and driving pleasure:

2. If whenever I need extra lower or uphill or swift driving - I always push the PWR button and go into the PWR dial range as and when I want

- as I noticed if I push hard on pedal in non-PWR button mode - my car seems to sip more fuel

Still way off the official mpg - but I am happy with that based on my type of driving and terrain

Freezing temperatures from the weekend - so will see if that affect my average figures....

Hi wayne

Thanks for the reply,

after reading what you wrote... i tried the same and no luck... but you say that you get 400 miles from a full tank.. i guess thats a full tank? i filled my car up and the range was like above 350... but noticed that the range is not accurate as i think i may be having a problem with the sensor in the tank.. as the last two bars are on and then all of a sudden it comes up with low fuel and the range is 16 miles or there abouts. Drove around today with the heating on auto sat nav on and radio on... managed to get upto 48.8-9 but then dropped back to 47.7 and stayed there no matter how hard i tried to make it go back up.

hi wayne

sorry again with all that on do you notice that the engine probally kicks in more frequently if your either going at snail pace or in traffic... i would assume that when your moving then all is fine

Hi wayne

Thanks for the reply,

after reading what you wrote... i tried the same and no luck... but you say that you get 400 miles from a full tank.. i guess thats a full tank? i filled my car up and the range was like above 350... but noticed that the range is not accurate as i think i may be having a problem with the sensor in the tank.. as the last two bars are on and then all of a sudden it comes up with low fuel and the range is 16 miles or there abouts. Drove around today with the heating on auto sat nav on and radio on... managed to get upto 48.8-9 but then dropped back to 47.7 and stayed there no matter how hard i tried to make it go back up.

Hi bud

As many have said, the car's computer readout is not spot-on so take with a pitch of salt (this applies to all manufacturers too)

Yes, I took a couple of trials and waited til my fuel bar was literally EMPTY (flashing at last bar and computer saying something like 16 miles left) and then I fill-up until it auto-cut off at pumps - I get 400+miles full tank if driving as civilised as I can, and get 385miles when driving a 'little' more grunt when accelerating....doing exactly the same routes and with same temp and with same electrics on....

Recently, driving like a mad man with use of plenty of PWR button - and still got just below 400miles!

But obviously still gentle with the gas pedal on flat roads and gentle braking too :)

Yes, I noticed that on mine too with 2 bars left and then low fuel - but then it still hits the 400miles range so I assume its the same thing with my other cars when the fuel tank sensor is just inaccurate or sticking a bit (bit like when u go uphill, fuel tank sensor reports low fuel, then when u go downhill fuel tank reports LOTS of fuel!) :laughing:

- Hopefully someone on here will clarify for us! :help2:

One other thing I noticed is sometimes my AVERAGE MPG states 99.99mpg - which is fair as say when coasting or steep downhill it might do that, but a few times my car on a level stayed like that for quite a while - which then did skewed my figures giving me a false sense of very high average mpg like 70mpg - when I know on such drives I would never achieve that! :eek:

• Like 1

hi wayne

sorry again with all that on do you notice that the engine probally kicks in more frequently if your either going at snail pace or in traffic... i would assume that when your moving then all is fine

Hi bud

no need to apologise - we all here to learn and help each other :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I find displaying the "Battery or engine driving wheel" mode useful in his scenario:

either:

1. When in heavy traffic - my car will run fine in Battery mode only, but engine will kick in EITHER when my Battery is low or I have so many electrics on the car decides to start (or stay in) engine to maintain the energy used

2. dependent which DRIVING MODE u in - I tested a few times, when I was stationary and the battery was fine - why the engine was still running? So I pressed the ECO button, then the engine cut out - so I switched off the ECO button and the engine came back on - did that a few times and it did the same :dontgetit:

- Didn't understand why, and assume the ECU knew best when in NORMAL mode - but I can force it by pressing the ECO button (or EV button) as long as the conditions are right (see 1 above)

Again, hopefully someone from here will explain :help2:

Ref range

Also bear in mind it will also depend how u drive

I think the ECU will calculate the range dependent on previous driving history

So make sure u RESET all counters when trialing your driving MPG and take into account your previous driving technique/road-conditions when next filling up :thumbsup:

This morning 5 degree s, light traffic

started from cold

3 miles trip

ECO button "ON"

light on throttle

48 MPG

Return trip

one use of PWR button in incline junction

IMG_20151122_131050_zpsezy8zlps.jpg

Battery doing fine

will run the wheels (no engine = no fuel) when needle at MIDDLE or below ECO bands and light on throttle...

IMG_20151122_130518_zps3synlvn6.jpg

Hi. Mine has gone down to around 59 mpg, this with ac/heater on high or around 27, lights on, radio on, wipers on and all the rest. So it has dropped from an average of 65 mpg to the above during the cold snap, before during the rainy stuff it was as I say 65 mpg.

One must remember here, my Auris does a lot of miles and is rarely out of ready mode during, say 8 hours of the day, therefore it does not get cold during the day because it's always doing something. But to add to the posters questions. 47/45/50 mpg is not bad. My mates Passat is down to 38 mpg and that's a diesel 2 litre. Also it depends how long your commute? is, plus other factors, short drives, leaving the car for a day or two standing. All sorts of scenarios can effect fuel consumption, so it's a tricky one to answer.

Mine goes in for it's first service in the morning, so I will report back on any trouble that has may have popped up. But to get the figures I seem to get from an engine that is no where near loosened up is pretty impressive.

I've noticed a big difference over the last few days as to how often the engine kicks in. I only do very short journeys through the week so I am expecting a lot less MPG through the winter. On a side note you guys say you know how much charge is in your Hybrid Battery, how do you know this? I have the 2011 model.

I've noticed a big difference over the last few days as to how often the engine kicks in. I only do very short journeys through the week so I am expecting a lot less MPG through the winter. On a side note you guys say you know how much charge is in your Hybrid battery, how do you know this? I have the 2011 model.

See my 2nd PIC in my #12 post

(Press the DISPLAY button on steering wheel until u see it on dash)

I've noticed a big difference over the last few days as to how often the engine kicks in. I only do very short journeys through the week so I am expecting a lot less MPG through the winter. On a side note you guys say you know how much charge is in your Hybrid battery, how do you know this? I have the 2011 model.

See my 2nd PIC in my #12 post

(Press the DISPLAY button on steering wheel until u see it on dash)

Well, " I'll go to foot of our stairs" I've used that screen many times and never knew it was also showing the charge in the Battery! Thanks very much.

• Like 1

Mine is the 2015 Facelift model and also shows it on the Toyota Touch 2 7-inch display. I guess it is not available on the first generation though, unless it comes with Sat/Nav Toyota Touch... Anyone out there with first generation Auris HSD and Sat/Nav...?

035775604-big.jpg

• Like 1

This morning ...

IMG_20151123_061442_zpswhaofkfz.jpg

IMG_20151123_063357_zpsjv2on5oi.jpg

Exact journey at 5 degrees usually around 50mpg

This morning 43...

Though I had full blast air con (defrost windscreen) + rear demister on this time...

Mine is the 2015 Facelift model and also shows it on the Toyota Touch 2 7-inch display. I guess it is not available on the first generation though, unless it comes with Sat/Nav Toyota Touch... Anyone out there with first generation Auris HSD and Sat/Nav...?

035775604-big.jpg

I got 1st Gen Auris with sat nav - nope!

Don't have that info on my sat nav :( :( :(

Though I do have a CAR INFO button on sat nav - but it dosent work :(

Everything over 40mpg in winter is still good, also depends how long you commute, if very short distance mpg will drop even more.

Everything over 40mpg in winter is still good, also depends how long you commute, if very short distance mpg will drop even more.

6 miles each way

43mpg to work (5 degrees)

61mpg return (7 degrees, no demister/light/air con, just hot air)

• Like 1

This conversation reminded me of an old commercial... :lol2:

• Like 1

This conversation reminded me of an old commercial... :lol2:

Yep, it's really annoying when you pick up the wife's keys by mistake.

Well, i'm totally disappointed with the Auris HSD tourer that recently bought (65 reg).

2500 miles under the belt and an average of 58mpg.

My old Prius, with the same mileage in 2010 at the same time of year, was on 65mpg.

I had expected the Auris to be better, not worse.

Not impressed.

Well Auris Hybrid is not so economical as Prius for some reason. The first gen Auris hybrid are even worse, around 50mpg against 60mpg from the Prius. Auris also feels heavier and slower imo. 58mpg it's not too bad consumption anyway.

Regards