Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris Hybrid... Fuel Consumption During Winter

Toyota_Auris_Hybrid

Correct, at 70mph (110km/h) with sensible driving on a long run can achieve around 60mpg (4.7l/100km)

Hybrid drivetrain is very sensitive to acceleration and high hills climbing, also if the car is fully loaded the fuel consumption increases a lot. More real world numbers are 47-55mpg (5.2-6.2l/100km) for the first gen Auris hybrid.

Really, when was the last time anybody drove at 70mph on the motorway and didn't have anybody overtake them. LOL

Really, when was the last time anybody drove at 70mph on the motorway and didn't have anybody overtake them. LOL

Duplicate post deleted.

The point of highlighting the 70mph speed limit was to say that people in the UK probably won't have fuel consumption figures for 80mph or 100mph - not to enter into a discussion about the merits of abiding by the speed limit or not.

So what is your car's fuel consumption at 80mph and 100mph?

Never done more than 70. My norm is 60-65 and consumption varies between 57 and 72 depending on many many different conditions. Rain and wind are killers. Oh, and puddles

Carful motorway driving but can't get anything above 50mpg.

A long flat motorway and lots of roadworks with 50mph limits helps! Lol

I got 60+ I think in mine :)

So there are people who loves the dreaded roadworks!!!! ;)

That's right, seems like hybrid only efficient when driving slow and in town or B roads, definitely not a motorway cruiser. Now it's my third day using my wife's Auris on the motorway and can't get anything better then 50mpg, with the diesel ones and same driving style always 60+. Done some town driving and got 69.4mpg for a 12 miles trip. I know how to drive those cars but motorway it's not what they like:)

I have made many posts on customers MPG in the past, it makes me smile that this person gets this MPG but that person gets something different.

There is on simple answer, we all drive differently and under different conditions

Most people think there is something wrong with their car, in reality that is rarely the case, the honest answer is driving style but people dont want to admit that

My current MPG in my Auris Hybrid is 57.8, in the first couple of weeks it was 55 MPG, I put this better MPG down to the warmer weather and my steady driving style. I somebody gets 50 MPG, its either the type of driving (Hills, Motorway, Town or whatever) or their own style of driving, its as simple as that in my book

• Like 1

I have made many posts on customers MPG in the past, it makes me smile that this person gets this MPG but that person gets something different.

There is on simple answer, we all drive differently and under different conditions

Most people think there is something wrong with their car, in reality that is rarely the case, the honest answer is driving style but people dont want to admit that

My current MPG in my Auris Hybrid is 57.8, in the first couple of weeks it was 55 MPG, I put this better MPG down to the warmer weather and my steady driving style. I somebody gets 50 MPG, its either the type of driving (Hills, Motorway, Town or whatever) or their own style of driving, its as simple as that in my book

Of course you'll be getting better mpg since you shed a few pounds, No?

post-140480-0-23127900-1450794062_thumb.

• Like 2

:lol:

Sadly since buying a job lot of Greggs shares, the diet is not going so well ;)

:D: :D:

Aye but once you get the tyres shifted over you'll be a new man.

PS Watched an old film about Sweeney Todd the other day; he certainly could have done with a pie chart.

post-140480-0-72210600-1450798083_thumb.

The weather won't be helping for sure! I thought I'd accidentally gotten into a Crab instead of my Yaris the way I was being blown around on the motorway! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my Auris is still doing 60 plus mpg no matter what the weather or what road I'm on. Quite remarkable really. I had to have sometime off due to eye problems so the car still has only 10,550 miles on the clock rather than an estimated 15,000, if I had of been fit. I do not do any warm up period either. For those that don't know, the vehicle ( estate/sportswagon hybrid 2014) is used as a taxi.

Fantastic car, without doubt the best car I have ever driven and I've driven a lot of cars.

• Like 2

That's great, 60mpg all the time or even better mpg ., that is what I was getting from my classic Prius when I was driving it as a taxi. Seems like 2014 Auris Hybrid is very different from the standard Auris. Can I ask all owners of Auris 2014 on the motorway or A roads with speeds over 50mph are you getting a lot of tyres and wind noise? Also have you ever feel any vibrations through steering wheel and pedals?

Thanks a lot and Happy New Year

Once again tyre, size, type and wheel choice are critical to the fuel consumption of the Auris Hybrid. Even the advertising brochure quotes 8mpg less for the Excel on low profiles than the Icon on sensible tyres. The problem is in UK Toyota specify the tyres that make the most profit and do not let the customer choose smaller wheels on the higher spec cars. On a Taxi I guess you can pick what you want but for most private buyers you get into insurance problems if you change wheel size. I tried to get the smaller wheels when I bought my car, could not get them. Having said that the car is much better to drive and live with than either of my two Prius. I think the shorter wheelbase and rear suspension of the TS make it better to handle than the Gen 3 Prius and it feels more solid on the road, and of course it's faster than the Gen 2. Very little wind or tyre noise on the Excel TS , but it has different rear suspension to the hatch. I have not driven a hatch so can not comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Sat in my car

Freezing outside even though only 6 degrees (snow showers predicted tonight)

Been 10mins

Ignition on

EV mode

Stereo and heating on...

But MPG not drop???

Battery starting to drop a little after 10mins...

Good?

IMG_20160113_144249_zpsfoz09krj.jpg

IMG_20160113_144300_zpsqbsi9bhv.jpg

• Like 1

Of course is good, been in the car for hours and never turned off, heating on, radio on plus charging my phone, Battery drains but for any 30 min the ice runs for about 5 min to produce some heat and recharge the Battery, all private hire drivers do that every day :)

Another great thing to own a hybrid over the standard car.

Hours????

U mean sat in car for hours and MPG stays same?

I remember I sat in my 27mpg Subaru for a car wash....literally 5mins waiting it was showing 5mpg - eeeek!

OK

25mins its good :)

Then engine kicked in (and auto rurned off EV mode) at just over 25mins..

IMG_20160113_145813_zpsokdbrksi.jpg

IMG_20160113_145956_zpsk5wqzvwj.jpg

Once again tyre, size, type and wheel choice are critical to the fuel consumption of the Auris Hybrid. Even the advertising brochure quotes 8mpg less for the Excel on low profiles than the Icon on sensible tyres. The problem is in UK Toyota specify the tyres that make the most profit and do not let the customer choose smaller wheels on the higher spec cars. On a Taxi I guess you can pick what you want but for most private buyers you get into insurance problems if you change wheel size. I tried to get the smaller wheels when I bought my car, could not get them. Having said that the car is much better to drive and live with than either of my two Prius. I think the shorter wheelbase and rear suspension of the TS make it better to handle than the Gen 3 Prius and it feels more solid on the road, and of course it's faster than the Gen 2. Very little wind or tyre noise on the Excel TS , but it has different rear suspension to the hatch. I have not driven a hatch so can not comment.

Post today on Toyota's blog says that the Auris hybrid can't take 16" wheels due to the steering rack. Does the hybrid have a different steering setup from diesel/petrol ?

It seemed odd to me as I believe that you can get 15" wheels on an Auris Hybrid in Active trim, possibly she made a mistake?

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/whats-changed-2015-toyota-auris/comment-page-1#comment-1544024

Mpg never stays the same, always goes down but once you drive off and goes back to normal. To me doesn't matter what the display shows but matters what I put in the tank. I drive 600-1000 miles per week so any penny adds up but I never try to drive too slow or not to use air con heating example. I keep the car always (on) ready , when I seat in to prevent drainage of the 12v Battery, better lose some mpg then get flat Battery and trouble.

Post today on Toyota's blog says that the Auris hybrid can't take 16" wheels due to the steering rack. Does the hybrid have a different steering setup from diesel/petrol ?

It seemed odd to me as I believe that you can get 15" wheels on an Auris Hybrid in Active trim, possibly she made a mistake?

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/whats-changed-2015-toyota-auris/comment-page-1#comment-1544024

I have recently bought an Auris Hybrid Business Edition - it has 16" wheels, and that was one of the reasons I chose that model.

I can't see how that Toyota reply about the steering rack is correct.

I have 16 inch tyres on my 65 plated touring sport Excel.

God help the dealer if that statement proves to be correct, but the brochure did indicate that 16's were available but not the 15's

Never spotted this before....

So if sat in car waiting one thinking have 25mins of free Battery to use...

But this morning noticed the downside....NO HOT AIR :( :( :(

IMG_20160117_072200_zps2aeswinb.jpg

Oh yes, if no ice running no heating, so let it goes for while to do its job and all will be great. Heated seats is another good think but I haven't see many Auris with that extra.

Oh yes, if no ice running no heating, so let it goes for while to do its job and all will be great. Heated seats is another good think but I haven't see many Auris with that extra.

So better to wait 25mins til ICE kicks in?

Or increase temp to force ICE to kick in (then when warm reduce temp)?

I mean in terms of using as least petrol as possible (but keep cabin warm)...