Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recalls For Door Fires

terryb630

I note that there is already a thread raised regarding the airbag recall, strange how no recall for the door fire problem reported in the Daily Mail and the Telegraph, also interesting is the fact that my Toyota garage hasn't heard about it either, yet if you Google it there are lots of hits!

Apparently the fault is caused by swarf generated by wear in the window winder switch which causes a short within the switch and an overheat and then fire, the cure seems odd, the application of heat resistant grease is Toyotas answer. There have apparently been a couple(maybe more) of instances of this in the US, why no recall here?

Terry B

There has been two separate recalls in the UK - the first was where owners lubricated worn switches with an incorrect lubricant, and the second was announced in October 2015. See the following (especially posts 1 and 11) - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/170243-toyota-recall-window-switch/?hl=%20window%20%20switch%20%20recall

To check if your vehicle is affected, use Toyota's recall checker - https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/recall-checker.json

Hi Frosty,

Thanks for the informative post, assume its the just the more used drivers window button that causes the problem ; do you know if they will be lubricating / replacing all the switches or just the one ?

For the earlier recall, it was just the master power window switch on the driver's door that was involved. Depending on the amount of wear, Toyota either lubricated the switch using a specifically formulated lubricant, or replaced the switch.

The later recall doesn't seem to tie the issue down to the master switch in the same way, so not sure whether it is the master switch again or any of the power window switches.

Thanks for the swift response Frosty, ( how apt that name is at this time of year), I read the posts you highlighted and please accept my apologies for missing them, I obviously didn't put in the correct search term, that's what being computer illiterate is all about!

I had already used the Toyota recall checker you linked but I'm afraid in my opinion it's about as much good as a chocolate fireguard, all it says is that my vehicle is subject to a recall and to contact my dealer, this I have already done and it has been booked in for the airbag recall, the recall checker doesn't say why my car is subject to a recall, but since the garage checked and booked for the airbag I can only assume that is the reason for it, this is also how I know that (my garage at least) still don't know about the switch recall (or so they claim). My car is a 56 plate corolla diesel which puts it right in the middle of the affected range.

It is my information that the recall for the airbag and the recall for the switch can be traced back to the same manufacturer, no not Toyota but a name similar which escapes me at the moment, (Dementia again) the thing I find concerning is the denial of knowledge by the dealer, don't they watch the news or read newspapers?

Terry B

Takata is the airbag manufacturer - and the airbag recalls cover approx 11 vehicle manufacturers (including Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Daihatsu, BMW, Fiat/Chrysler, Ford .....), and in May 2015 34 million vehicles globally were thought to be affected.

As regards the UK recall system, when a sufficient number of reports of a possible safety issue are received by the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA - formerly VOSA), together with the vehicle manufacturer, they conduct an investigation into the potential problem, and, if warranted, launch an official recall. DVLA supply contact details of owners to the manufacturer, who then sends out recall letters - the accuracy of contact information is dependent on whether owners notify things like change of address, etc.

If an official recall isn't justified, the manufacturer may issue their version of a service bulletin or similar to dealers, in the probability that potential issues are picked up during the service regime - although if servicing is done away from franchised dealers, issues can be missed.

This recall for the drivers side window switch is an expansion of the original recall. It involves stripping the drivers side electric window switch and greasing it with a special electrical grease

Customers will be written to, and will be phased over a period of time so that not every customer arrives at the dealer on the same day!

You will get a letter, stick tight until you do

Kingo