Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Not Starting

Soeley

Got in the car today and it wouldn't start!

The Battery is not flat, plenty of juice in it and in the petrol tank.

Now, this has happened twice before in the past (4 years of ownership), then when you try it later on has started no problem so have been unable to pinpoint the cause. It was turning over as it should but just not firing. Fuel is getting through as I could smell petrol fumes in the garage at the back of the car. I would guess either there is no spark being generated or it is just flooded somehow?

I'm edging toward the flooded engine as quite often when starting the engine from cold, upon it firing it does rev up quite a bit as if I had my foot pressed down on the accelerator pedal - which I haven't, foot is firmly flat on the floor. So I am wondering if that is a symptom? Could too much fuel be getting pumped in on startup and causing it to over rev? The next worse step being flooding and not starting!

Battery is currently on charge as I could tell it was weakening, but it nearly started on last attempt.

What could cause an engine to flood with fuel injection and ECU's?

Any ideas?

I think I have found the answer to Instant Flooding on Startup. It seems a common thing then the last time the car was used it was only moved a few feet and switched off again. Now I did wash it yesterday and the started her up just to put her in the garage, apparently that confuses the ECU and floods the engine. When this happens, apparently flooring the accelerator pedal whilst starting shuts off the fuel pump and it should start after about 30 seconds of cranking.

Just been out to try again and she very nearly started, but the Battery had totally given up now (luckily it's not my turn to drive tomorrow). This link describes everything from iQ Forums http://www.iq-forums.com/forums/engine-transmission-discussion/2097-my-q-cranks-but-doesnt-start-any-thoughts.html

Funny you mention this as it happened to me today as well but it's not the first time it has happened to me either.

I was having the car park scrape repaired today on the rear bumper and once the job was done I started the car, moved it a few feet then stopped it again. Once everything was tidied away I jumped in and tried to start the car again. Cranked over just fine and sounded like it would start but no, just wouldn't go.

I tried it again using some throttle and it did fire into life with a splutter but once running it was fine and drove normally.

Like you I can only assume the short start in cold weather over fuels the engine and then trying again a short while later adds more fuel making combustion difficult.

Hope you have yours going again now?

Craig.

Me too

Sometimes on my multidrive, i hold the break down in a "lazy" way and lift my foot before it starts "usually cold weather" and it stops igniting. A second attempt is disasterous as it floods. Have to wait a while or trying flattens the Battery

David

Yes it started fine last night after charging the Battery up. I just didn't think you could flood an engine nowadays, unless something was faulty.

Don't worry about this

It is a common fault on all cars. Its just flooded.

Every car I have ever owned has done it and when I worked at a garage and had to move cars maybe 10-20m they did it too.

Just don't move your car VERY short distances. Or if you are leave it ticking over for 2 minutes after you have.

• Like 1