Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What I Have Learnt About My Tourer Tr 1.8. My Review.

Konrad C

I have owned my Avensis Tourer TR 2009 nearly 3 months and most of it has been good.

The worst things about the car is the electric parking brake (EPB). It is reliable but a little slower than using a manual handbrake. The button position means you have to reach forward to operate the EPB. On the latest Kia Ceed, the EPB option is in the same location as the manual handbrake - next to the driver. You could drive either Ceed and not have to adjust.

The built-in bluetooth pairing is too convoluted and confusing, compared to other systems I have used: - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/169403-the-most-convoluted-bluetooth-setup-i-have-ever-done-succeeded/

I also know not to jet wash or hose under the rear of the car, as this could lead to problems with the EPB.

The car came well specified for the early version of the TR model, but misses the USB not fitted until revisions. I have done my own upgrade adding a better bluetooth and USB - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/169513-added-usbbluetooth-adaptor-to-w53828-in-avensis-mk3/

There have been some TR Nav models which gets the Sat-Nav, big screen audio unit, reversing camera, SD memory card, USB and bluetooth.

Driving the car the 1.8 Valvematic engine is fine, but if you require power/torque, you have to rev the engine a bit. Actually I only need a little over 2000 rpm. By 4000 rpm it does really go, but I rarely need to go that high. The 6 speed gearbox is easy to use and the ratios are well matched to the engine. At the legal limit the engine is doing about 2500 rpm. My Mk1 would be at 3000 rpm! The clutch has no feeling. The is hardly any vibration and the engine is not noisy. I have stalled the engine a few times, but recently have adjusted well. I still use my Mk1 which has more low end go - 1200 - 1600 rpm.

The cruise control is okay but is slow to respond to increase and decrease speed. Best to use on less busy roads. Speed limiter handy. Fuel economy good considering traffic stop/start driving 35 mpg. I regularly go 430 miles and fill up 46 litres. So the computer is being conservative about the economy and range.

The steering is light and there is not much feel. The ride is good but tiny bumps and ripple filter through. Brakes are good.

For a large car it is easy to park, and this car has no aids! May be it's me. The mirrors on my car are 'not' electric folding.

On the maintenance side, the car had been serviced before I bought the car and the oil is clean and not dropped a bit. I changed the air and cabin filters, and was shocked to find the spark plugs look like the originals and over due, so changed those.

Air-con very good and clears misted windows fast.

Some minor bits were missing and they have replaced. Some minor scratches on the left of the body work. The are 2 dent in the front left door, but I sorted the larger one out, as it was on the rear edge. The other dent is hardly noticeable. Rear bumper has a slight crease. Wheels in good condition.

Load space is great and I can carry my bike and other kit, with space to spare. Talking of space, the rear seats have so much room. My nephew is well over 6ft tall and is happy.

Overall happy with the car and what I use it for. If buying an Avensis, make the TR the lowest spec to go for. There is a lot of kit missing on the T2.

I had a year and 40k in a 11' plate 2.0 D4D TR Tourer, i agree with handbrake, really bad design compared to the Passat i had before with its auto function. Except for lacking a bit of power they are a quiet and comfy solid motor, good value as well.

I went to Rome and back in her :thumbsup:, had my Tom Tom as well....

50a9dfd1-3cb9-408d-b9bd-0c57aa0c02cc.jpg

I had a year and 40k in a 11' plate 2.0 D4D TR Tourer, i agree with handbrake, really bad design compared to the Passat i had before with its auto function.

later Avensis with manual transmissions have auto setting when you switch the engine off (& retained the auto release on clutch take up if you want to use that). I presume that later CVTs also got the auto setting on engine off but can't say for sure as I have no experience of them.

@ Konrad C

Found your review interesting, as I'm vaguely thinking I might switch from my 1.4 Corolla to a 1.8 Avensis next year. I find the 1.4 in the Corolla to be quite torquey at low rpm, which suits my driving. I take it the T25 (circa 2008) with the 1.8 has the same charateristics?

Avoiding cars laden with electronics is getting more difficult, but the issues I've read re the EPB make me lean towards a T25, rather than the later model, although in all other respects, the later model (say 2009-2010) would otherwise suit me fine.

@ Konrad C

Found your review interesting, as I'm vaguely thinking I might switch from my 1.4 Corolla to a 1.8 Avensis next year. I find the 1.4 in the Corolla to be quite torquey at low rpm, which suits my driving. I take it the T25 (circa 2008) with the 1.8 has the same charateristics?

Avoiding cars laden with electronics is getting more difficult, but the issues I've read re the EPB make me lean towards a T25, rather than the later model, although in all other respects, the later model (say 2009-2010) would otherwise suit me fine.

Today I drove 4 up, and when the revs go over 2.5k rpm there is a step up in power. The gear change indicator comes in at that point, unless more gas is applied. It does pick up well for a heavy car.

The only thing you don't get is 6 gears, but I don't think you would miss that. I drive my Mk1 and it is fine in 5th gear with instant acceleration without changing down, and still quiet with only 500-600 rpm more at 70mph. That is 3k compared to 2.5k of the Mk3. The Corolla will be doing 3.5k rpm at the same speed. Mk2 should be 3k @ 70mph.

The EPB is okay, so long as not jet washed directly onto it, or flooded. It supposed to be sealed. The Mk2 vvti will be fine, so long as it is the revised version in a good trim level. Also there is the hatchback!