Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Dodge Import Duties?

MattMR2Turbo

Hiya, haven't been on these boards for a while since I've got my Civic.

I need to get a 4-1 stainless manifold asap for my engine conversion, but the cheapest (by far) place to buy it from is America.

I know a friend of a friend in America who I can get it delivered too. If I get them to send it to me as a 'gift' can I avoid the duties this way??

Thanks

Matt :thumbsup:

yes mate get them to send it as a gift, get em to write Happy Birthday or summin on it somewhere too. I ordered my Apexi RSM from eBay off a seller who sent it as a gift, no duties on that :thumbsup:

Sometimes depending on value and stuff they might charge you tax, my uni class bought tria markers from america as they were only 30 quid a box as compaired to 50 here, we order about 20-30 boxes and got them send as a gift but still got charged tax as it was opened at the airport or someting. (box is only small containing 10 pens)

I think its just your luck really, get him to put a birthday card in with it. lol

lol yeah, if its suspect !Removed! customs will rip it apart! Make sure youre mate removes any clues. How bout getting em to write Happy Birthday in giant letters on the manifold itself :P :lol:

thing is with ur uni markers there was loads of em (boxes full). It'l be no problem if u've only got a single box.

P.S is ur mate lookingto earn a few bob, theres some stuff i want from the US... :rolleyes:

-Z

I got my clutch put down as a FOC replacement for faulty goods ..

Hmm, he's a friend of a friend, don't know him myself.

So what's the best thing to do? Try and send it as a gift (get him to put birthday card in it and stuff!) or do as you said Bibbs?

Goods sent for repair are duty exempt too, i think youd be better off oding it this way since its a bit more believable than a manifold for your birthday

Gift or not, anything over £30 in value is chargable...

I suggest you look up the HM Customs and Excise website for more info.

got too do it properly. I got an LSD from japan, off eBay, seller boxed it wrote value nil, happy birthday mate all over it and wrapped it in christmas wrapping paper. = no duty at all.

seller in america got cams from, wrote GIFT value nil, then idiot wrote return too sender if undelivered, insured for $500!!! needless too say i had too pay duty.

LOL, if its obvious its not a gift, e.g. lots of something (several boxes of pens :P ) they will see through your plan.... i got a spoiler for my sx from japan, came loose ly wrapped in really cheap happy birthday paper, blatently obvious what it was, but as it was entirly possible for it to be a prezzy (there was only one of them, quite possible someone in japan sent em a £120 spoiler for my b-day!) they cant go charging you tax on it....

As long as you dont take the wee wee you should be ok B)

John R - I'm putting a B16A2 into it. It's the 160bhp 1.6 DOHC VTEC - hoping to get 200bhp from it in the end.

I'm only getting the one manifold so it's only going to be one box. I'll get them to write 'GIFT - VALUE NIL' on the box then if that's the case. I can get it sent however I like, so whatever's best I will do!

Should save a lot of money though!