Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dab Radio

Parrotperson

Can anyone advise on fitting an aftermarket (as toyota don't do one) DAB radio to an IQ. The radio on the it is pretty rubbish so I though as an Xmas present to my husband I'd get one but am not getting very far with research. Halfords don't want to know with an IQ.

Any help would be appreciated.

Can anyone advise on fitting an aftermarket (as toyota don't do one) DAB radio to an IQ.

afaik there may be 2 Toyota DAB upgrade options for the IQ. The original fully integrated upgrade https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B53C9063E-E758-AEF9-9658-9FB7DAA7E758%7D/IQ_DAB_RHD_PZ473_T0210_A0_AIM_001_298_2.pdf which will cost you~£600 iirc & the later less sophisticated add on (~£250 iirc).

You may find

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/87296/car-stereo-reviews-single-and-double-din-head-units

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/88304/dab-car-radio-adaptor-reviews-group-test

reading.

It's worth trying to find out what DAB reception is like where you are likely to be using it - I know that a lot of people have been disappointed.

Dab signal is fine here. I have no problem in my hybrid auris

I went to Toyota today and there is no longer a Toyota upgrade. I don't think there's anywhere to out a built in unit in an iq

I'm afraid I can't open the other link you provided.

Thank you though. I think it might be impossible!

Thank you.

I'll go back to Toyota. They so say look the reg up on a computer made a phone call to the Toyota parts people and said no go for that model. I'll take that info with me and see what they say.

What type of radio do you have?

If you have the satnav version with the big screen I think a DAB add on was available and it's probably these that are being talked about above.

If you have the standard radio though with nothing but a CD slot in the top of the dashboard then you can't add anything extra onto it.

The only way is to do what I did and get a spare radio housing from eBay, Cut it about, fibreglass new material into it and re-paint it to match. you can then fit a standard DIN radio but it takes a lot of effort and sanding!

Craig.

post-116364-0-99628200-1448960317_thumb.

post-116364-0-56321500-1448960333_thumb.

Damn yes it only has a cd slot. Oh well. Thank you. You did a good job on yours!

Hello, there is also this option http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/car-accessories/dab-digital-car-radio/universal_3576/autodab-connect-universal-upgrade-dab-digital-car-radio-tuner. This company also recommended the DAB1001 which they said "Yes it is compatible with IQ and will operate with the Display as long as your vehicle Radio has RDS facility. "

I can't see the DAB1001 listed on the site now but it might be worth getting in touch and asking?

I decided against DAB as we have poor coverage and FM reception is much better along my commute.

A word of caution if thinking of using it in London. As of just now, i counted 47 Pirate stations on FM. Making it very difficult to get a free FM channel to set the adaptor to. And if you do find one, you only have to move to a different Borough and its likely a Pirate will be sitting on it

David

Thanks mark. Will take a look. We have good coverage here so I hope that's not a problem

We live between Bristol and Gloucester David so I'm hoping it'll be ok. But of course you never know and as I'm finding out its almost impossible to get any good advice about this subject - present company excepted!

There was a company advertising here a while back for DAB conversions; I can't remember what they were called tho', something-connect??

• 2 weeks later...

It's on the same vendor site posted earlier, I found out: http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/car-accessories/dab-digital-car-radio/toyota_3571

EDIT: hmm it either sits between the FM cable and the FM socket and allows you to switch between FM and DAB(+) or it's a FM transmitter. Maybe some bluetooth solution would be better to maximize quality and reduce install difficulty.

Hmm this might be something: http://www.dension.com/products/dab-solutions/dabu

Just a short winge on DAB

First, most DAB statios have a bit rate of 128kb. You would need 160kb to be near equivelant audio quality of FM, but never actually achieve this as the highest audio frequency is 14khz as compareed to 15khz. For FM. You would need a a bit rate of 192kb to reach anywhere near CD quality. The stereo image is very "blurred" vurtually non existant. Since consumer Vinyl everyrhing else has beeb a compromise of quality verses convenience. You can also listen to a FM station when signal strength drops many db's but with DAB it has a threshold cut off because it cant decide the bit rate due to errorr correction at low signal strengrh. Oh, nearly forgot its a Government con becauae they wast everyone off FM so they can sell the frequencies to the highest bidder which they dont own anyway. Radio is Free.

David

Thanks Phuncz. I'll look into that.

I feel your pain David but my husband only really listens to talk channels so music quality isn't important to him. The IQ radio fm/am is so bad you have a real problem listening to anything frankly so I think DAB would be better in the long run.

Thanks Phuncz. I'll look into that.

I feel your pain David but my husband only really listens to talk channels so music quality isn't important to him. The IQ radio fm/am is so bad you have a real problem listening to anything frankly so I think DAB would be better in the long run.

I find my FM is very good, I get a bit of a drop off in certain parts of my commute but that is really out in the sticks where DAB in none existent and mobile signal disappears. I have just remembered though, when I first got my iQ 4 years ago I did notice bad reception on the FM in places my wife car didn't have any. I replaced the standard stubby ariel with a longer one (about 6 inches). It just unscrews from the base and replacement screws straight in. Might be worth a try?

• Like 1

Being a Radio Broadcast engineer, i did some tests on the original iQ antenna against the short Bee sting ones. If we reference the original Antenna at 0db ( which it isn't). We find the Bee sting at -6.5 db. So a fair amount down on the original. Infact, the original antenna is short by about 150mm. Our Verso has the correct length antenna for the iQ. My guess its a matter of asthetics. The iQ's antenna is tightly helically wound, whereas the Verso is wider spaced. I am using a sharkfin antenna and although i can get it matched electrically, by expanding the helical spring inside, its efficiency is reduced due ti the fact it is lying close to the roof top. One other point about asphetics is that our Verso can also take the Tns510 satnav. But no antenna change required. Or if you look at it the other wasy, if i had a Tns510 satnav in my Verso and i bought a iQ, without changing its antenna, i would get a reduction in signal strength of -4.2db from optimum which it is in the Verso.

David

Mark Thanks hand thought of that!

David. You've completely let me and I've to admit I've no idea what your talking a about! Sorry. Is changing the ariel worth a go and if so where do I get one? Thanks

Thanks Scott. Unfortunately according to their list it doesn't fit his IQ. Typical!

if the IQ uses a 5mm or 6mm screw fitting it should fit.

Hi Mark

Yes thats the size the iQ should of has but i guess the exterior design guys said " o no no far to big. " if anyone wants a bit more FM range then go for the longer Bee sting antenna from Halfords or eBay etc. Essentially as near as you can get to 75cm is optimum at 100mhz or Kiss FM. . Formula 300.000.000 (speed of light in mtrs per sec) divided by wanted frequency. 100.00.000 (kissfm) = 3mtrs. Divided by 4 (quarter wave) = 75cm. Simples

David

An alternative to DAB altogether, depending on your technological circumstances, would be to connect your iPhone or similar to the aux input and download the corresponding "app" for what you want to listen to.

For example, a friend of mine DJ's on a internet only radio station. I have downloaded their app and can listen to it with my phone. I do have an unlimited data tariff with 3.

Obviously if this wasn't the case, data may be an concern.

Most radio stations do an app or web streaming these days.

Or maybe even a pocket DAB radio to connect via the aux input?

Just some thoughts,

Liam

Thanks Liam mi did wonder if that would work. Except of cours him indoors hasn't got an iPhone and most certainly can't work one!

A dab radio might be a good shout. Might try it and see.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links