Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Ignition/door Keys Are Cracking Up .

The Bobster

Hi there , i,m new to this forum and have only just joined he club . My problem is my 53 plate Rav 4 came with 3 keys , 1 solid non remote key and 2 remote keys , the problem is the 2 remote keys are all cracked and one of them has already been glued up and may not come apart if the Battery needs replacing . my question is this , Do i have to go to Toyota and order a new key from them (probably expensive) or is there a cheaper way of overcoming this problem , I look forward to any helpful advice , many thanks Bob .

• 3 weeks later...

Had same problem on my 54 plate - beware that the eBay ones [ well the ones I got from eBay anyway] are pretty poor quality and after about 4 months the new key was cracked and broken - like the Toyota one was after 10 years...! Be aware also that the key section is not transferrable so you will be buying a blank which you will have to get cut.

I have a slightly different solution second time round: the third key [ the solid grey one] - which is meant as a valet parking key I think - I am now using as the key to start the car. On my keyring I have the head only [ ie the bit containing the remote and immobilser electrics] next to the grey key SO the central locking is worked by the button as usual, the immobiliser deactivates because it senses the key head close by AND the solid key does the turning / switching work [ and wont fall apart, ever!]

Hope that helps!!

Hi there loanheadhouse , thanks for the helpful advice . I have purchased 2 new blanks from eBay , had them cut and they are working fine so far , only time will tell how long they will last . But thanks for the tip about the solid grey key and the electronic gizmo bit this could prove to come in handy in the future . Thanks again , Bob .

• 5 weeks later...

Glad to hear of an inexpensive fix. :clap:

Recently had the same issue - got a new key cut at a local branch of Timpsons - £20 but guaranteed - a simple transfer of the electronic innards and all working fine. I ordered one of those eBay spare casings just in case the other original Toyota fob cracks as although Timpsons won't cut a key using a 3rd party 'blank' (they can't guarantee the part quality) there's always an 'indy' who will probably do it.

• 1 month later...

I got a blank cut at an indy. I swapped the electrical blob into the new blank. The buttons work remotely; the blade opens and locks the door; the blade turns in the ignition barrel. All good? No. The engine won't start. This is something to do with the immobiliser I guess? The old key, when pressed against the steering column, allows the new key to start the engine. What haven't I transferred? 

Look at the image attached. There is a gluey strip in the blue box (the old key), and an empty slot the same shape in the red box (the new). There is something in there that deals with the immobiliser, is there? Would welcome confirmation before I take a pen knife to the slot on my old key.

DSC_0090.JPG

Hi There Glynn , this key is very different to my 53 plate key . and all i had to do was swap the electrical gizmo box from old broken key to new replacement key and it unlocked , disarmed the immobiliser and started the engine so i really can't tell you any more . just be careful though because if you damage what ever is buried in that glue you may not be able to start your car . and this could end up being costly . sorry i cant help you further , good luck and success , Bob Smith .

The eBay ones don't last, they're cheap copies and the plastic is crap. I've recently switched over to the flip design type often found on VAG based brands. It's neater and the design (although not perfect) stands a better chance of not shearing off.

The transponder coil is what's in the glue - a small grain of rice shaped glass vial, i've swapped them over on Seat/Audi's to turn 'standard keys' into flip keys and re-code fobs for various friends/family. Normally I use a combination of a hot knife to get to it and then acetone (nail varnish remover) to soften the plastic holding it in place then stick it in the new fob.

Sorted, all good to go now. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't last, but for the time being, I prefer it to the original, the buttons feel nicer. I probably would have gone for a flip one if I'd found one for my style of fob, but at the time, I couldn't. Having tried harder, I found this, which I will most probably try if I need another later on.

All in all I think it's a pretty poor show. My wife's Lexus keys all broke, my key didn't break but became unusable. There is no reason why they can't design these things better so that the blades can be reused in a new housing. Or else make more durable housings. Just my tuppence.

Ah well at least you're all sorted for the time being . Take care , Bob .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links