Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should We Scrap This Car?

Mike5100

We got a mobile diesel service to come to the house and he discovered that something had gone through the turbo and deposited molten bits in the cat. The car runs but with zero boost. Also there's a snapped coil spring (how does a car even drive with a snapped coil spring?). It's a 53 plate Rav 4 GX so at best it would be worth 2000 quid trade in, so I'm thinking these repairs are pointless.

How does one go about getting a car scrapped? and do you get any money for it. The car buying sites are suggesting they would give £600 or £700 but my guess is that wouldn't happen when they visited to inspect the car?

Any helpfull suggestions would be very gratefully received

BTW I joined the forum several years ago when it had a DMF problem and the advice on here was great.

Mike

o to one of the online places that deal with scrap cars like cartakeback.com.Put in your reg no and post ode, they'll search all the car recycling places in your area and give you the best quote(s). If you agree you get a reference number, take it to the centre and you'll get your guaranteed price.

A lot of places these days will come and collect it but they may give you nothing for it. Price of scrap has fallen dramatically from even a year ago.

Would you get more selling it at auction, sold as seen?

• 1 month later...

Price for scrap is a joke. They offer you nothing, yet they make a fortune selling spares.

Latest quote for me is a sun visor 54 quid delivered, by the time they sell the spares it would pay for half a new car.