Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low Mpg In Toyota Avensis T25 2007

john79

Hello everyone

I recently purchased a 2007 Avensis 1.8 petrol(t 25) which was only driven 80000 kms with all service records and history.

Now the problem is it has been constantly showing milage of around 35 mpg while My father in law who owns the same model gets around 45mpg to 50 mpg regularly...Is there something which i can do to get a better mileage

Regards

John

Are you both using the same method to calculate the fuel consumption? Is there any difference in the type of driving you do (ie. urban, motorway, stop/start in traffic, etc).

Are you both using the same method to calculate the fuel consumption? Is there any difference in the type of driving you do (ie. urban, motorway, stop/start in traffic, etc).

Both of us are just checking the original display of Mpg in the cars dashboard. Shall i calculate the mileage next time i fill a tank ? What is general mileage of the car on highway and normal mixed driving Mileage

are they both the same age, transmission etc.? Honest John's Real MPG suggests ~40mpg & 50mpg average sounds unrealistic to me.

You really need to compare manually rather than relying on the onboard indication.

are they both the same age, transmission etc.? Honest John's Real MPG suggests ~40mpg & 50mpg average sounds unrealistic to me.

You really need to compare manually rather than relying on the onboard indication.

Yes both are same age but his one has been driven 200000 kms.I will do manual calculation next time I refuel.

Would it help if I put in some fuel injector cleaning fluid in the tank...I am thinking of getting one today

40-50 no chance out of a 1.8 vvti unless its been fuel economy mapped. Service the car. Change oil air filter and plugs to get best mpg and clean maf sensor.

40-50 no chance out of a 1.8 vvti unless its been fuel economy mapped. Service the car. Change oil air filter and plugs to get best mpg and clean maf sensor.

The car was serviced 4000 kms ago according to Toyota service records But i will change the Air filter as it was changed at 60000 kms and now its 82000 km.I have another couple of questions since i am still getting to know the car

1.When do we have to change the air filter in Toyota since in the service history it shows that they changed it at the 60000 kms service.If i change it which brand of air filter shall i use ?

2.Which brand of MAF cleaner shall i use..I have never cleaned it before but i have good idea how to do it.Is there a thread here which explains how to clean it yourself.

3.I am thinking of putting Redline SI-1 fuel injector cleaner during the next refill..how good or bad is the brand ?

I live in Sweden so not all brands are available here

Thanks in advance

as far as I know the air filter is an inspection item & change as necessary as use in different (dusty etc.) conditions will give different mileage between changing.

A genuine Toyota oem filter is ~£25 here. A 3rd party filter is probably 1/3 - 1/2 of that.

My 08 1.8 auto averages about 37 overall on a 50:50 mix of motorway and urban driving. My trip recorder on average mpg is spot on compared to gallons in and miles driven.

I had a 2005 1.8 manual which could return 50mpg or more if driven sedately, and a 2005 1.8 auto which gave around 36mpg no matter how it was driven. The trip computer was spot on in the manual but read 5% high in the auto.

I had a 2005 1.8 manual which could return 50mpg or more if driven sedately, and a 2005 1.8 auto which gave around 36mpg no matter how it was driven. The trip computer was spot on in the manual but read 5% high in the auto.

I am getting 35mpg right now..I will check air filter...Will it help if I put some Redline SI 1 in the tank for fuel injector cleaning ? What else can I do improving the mileage..Any tips

Give her a good service as previous replies, including air filter and spark plugs. I've not used injector cleaner but it can't do any harm.

i have a 2008 1.8 manual petrol and i get a average of around 33-37 going to work which is a 12 mile journey of 30/40 mph roads.i have got up to 50+ on a long motorway/country lane journey but not often.car serviced once a year by dealer.

I have got 45mpg on a jaunt into the city then a 80 mile mostly A road trip from my 07 1.8 just today and it was rising all the time

I have got 45mpg on a jaunt into the city then a 80 mile mostly A road trip from my 07 1.8 just today and it was rising all the time

As i mentioned the car was serviced only a short while ago,Today I will change the air filter and next time when I fill the tank I will put so e Redline in it and then calculate the mileage.According to what I have seen the mileage should be between 40-45 MPG

I'm not one to brag but...run from Ripon to Durham toady from a 1.8 petrol...R86998533eb5fb2450dc3617ee7ce3a58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

a) how does that compare to manually calculated? It's not unknown for (particularly older) trip computers to be way off.

b ) if my car is already warmed up & I pop straight onto the motorway network & cruise somewhere at a leisurely speed then I can get my trip computer to show massive mpg - but that is not what it does as an average over time/conditions which is ~45 summer & 42 winter. I do think that 38-40 is a fair value to expect for an average driver/car/conditions in a 1.8 Avensis over time (& good for a petrol car of it's size against it's peers) & 50 is unrealistic.

• Like 1

I'm not one to brag but...run from Ripon to Durham toady from a 1.8 petrol...R86998533eb5fb2450dc3617ee7ce3a58.jpg

Wow 57.1mpg...I think there might be some error in the trip computer...i am waiting for refill the fuel now and will measure the Mileage manually and will also connect the OBD 2 device and use torque pro to calculate the trip and long term mileage...Yesterday the Redline also arrived so when i refuel the whole bottle will go in the tank as it says it is to be used on 60-80 lts of fuel...Air filter will also be replaced as soon as it arrives :)

That was cruising at a steady 60 all the way, dropped down now I'm back on local roads! It was empty when I put fuel in so will run till empty again and calculate what it's doing

• Like 1

a) how does that compare to manually calculated? It's not unknown for (particularly older) trip computers to be way off.

b ) if my car is already warmed up & I pop straight onto the motorway network & cruise somewhere at a leisurely speed then I can get my trip computer to show massive mpg - but that is not what it does as an average over time/conditions which is ~45 summer & 42 winter. I do think that 38-40 is a fair value to expect for an average driver/car/conditions in a 1.8 Avensis over time (& good for a petrol car of it's size against it's peers) & 50 is unrealistic.

I agree with you that for the car this size 38-42 is a respectable mileage but on Highways/Motorways i have seen the mileage go upto 50 quite easily

"I agree with you that for the car this size 38-42 is a respectable mileage but on Highways/Motorways i have seen the mileage go upto 50 quite easily"

I can get my car to average 60+mpg over a whole motorway run but it's not a true reflection of it's overall average fuel economy which imo is the more useful figure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can now say after 4 days of just motorway driving (65 miles each way) at between 50 through the roadworks and 70mph I'm getting a consistent 45.1

Had a 2003 1.8vvti t25 and got 55+mpg I had tyres inflated to 36-38psi used Millers petrol eco-max injector cleaner regularly serviced all genuine parts and oil..It did have oil issues but constantly putting brand new oil in (5/30w) all the time.its probably why I got that mileage .I had a computer/diagnostic hooked up to double check it.

• Like 1