Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cheeky/impertinent Work Suggestion During Service?

2912pwil

Just had 20,000 mile service: During it it was pointed out front tyres were apparently getting worn nearing limit (thanks) and, I quote, "Air con requires service, £59:95" & also pollen filter dirty. My last Avensis got to 140k+ and never had air-con serviced, air-con still lovely & cold..

Struck me as either cheeky or blimey, the quality of Mr T's air-con units has dropped dramatically...

Any views (I politely declined the kind offer btw..)??? or what else has your garage suggested needed doing the struck you as your-'avin'-a-larf....

Best regards to all

I have never been able to understand why a car aircon needs service, it is no more than a refrigeration unit, how often do you need you fridge servicing?.

it's recommended by most car manufacturers that you get an aircon service every 2 years. However, at £59.95 your garage is having a laugh - mine charges £39.95 or £35 if booked with a service ...

Our local Toyota dealer doesn't even have the equipment to work on A/C's. Now this is a main dealer with BMW, Mercedes, MINI, VW & Lexus dealerships all within a 400 yard radius and all owned by the same group. What do they do, they farm the work out to a Land Rover dealers next door who are owned by a different group. I know A/C equipment isn't cheap, but it's not exactly lottery money to have the right gear..

They often recommend things like that on an interval rather than whether it needs it. My old Toyota garage were always very confused as my car was out of sync with what they had on their computer. I always thought they'd make a note of what was done to a car but either they don't or they never checked it and just went by age/mileage.

As for aircon specifically, it depends on how often you use it. Cars where it's used all year round or with climate control very rarely need to have the aircon regassed, but if it's only used on the 3 hot days we get a year then it will need to be regassed a lot more frequently because the seals dry out and all the gas escapes.

The latest recommendation is replacement of the fuel filter and a carbon pollen filter at enormous cost. Regarding air con it does require topping up of the refrigerant as it is not a sealed system like a refrigerator. You can buy a gauge/applicator on e-bay and get the refrigerant at Halfords. It costs £39.99 but that includes £10 deposit on the can which is returnable. Full instructions come with the gauge. An ambient temperature of at least 18C is necessary to run the air con for testing. It requires running at lowest setting for a few minutes before taking the pressure reading at the LP port on the return pipe near the Battery. It is marked LP and screws off to reveal a Schrader valve and the gauge just pushes on. The top up can affixes to the pipe on the applicator and pull the trigger to top it up.

Fitter

it's recommended by most car manufacturers that you get an aircon service every 2 years. However, at £59.95 your garage is having a laugh - mine charges £39.95 or £35 if booked with a service ...

Aye, every 2 years: My Avensis is not even 15 months old...

As mentioned they've also suggest 2 new tyres, both reported (on paper, black 'n white) 2mm all over: Faifr enuf, but they looked like they'd got more than 2mm to me.

So I invested in a tyre-depth guage: No 2mms, only 3, 4 or 5mm... Wonder if they are aware of s2 of the Fraud Act 2006 & getting 12-month **free** holiday at the Windsor chain of down-market hotels...

""2 Fraud by false representation

(1) A person is in breach of this section if he—

a - dishonestly makes a false representation, and

b - intends, by making the representation—

(i) to make a gain for himself or another, or

(ii) to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

(2) A representation is false if—

a - it is untrue or misleading, and

b - the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.

(3) “Representation” means any representation as to fact or law, including a representation as to the state of mind of—

a - the person making the representation, or

b - any other person.

(4) A representation may be express or implied.

(5) For the purposes of this section a representation may be regarded as made if it (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without human intervention).""

The latest recommendation is replacement of the fuel filter and a carbon pollen filter at enormous cost.

Don't know about the fuel filter but a carbon activated pollen filter is an upgrade over the standard one. No idea how much that one is as a part but the standard one is usually ~£20 & the Toyota fixed price for a pollen filter change is £39 (so £20 for 5 mins. labour, nice earner for the dealer).

" Regarding air con it does require topping up of the refrigerant as it is not a sealed system like a refrigerator. You can buy a gauge/applicator on e-bay and get the refrigerant at Halfords. It costs £39.99 but that includes £10 deposit on the can which is returnable. Full instructions come with the gauge. An ambient temperature of at least 18C is necessary to run the air con for testing. It requires running at lowest setting for a few minutes before taking the pressure reading at the LP port on the return pipe near the Battery. It is marked LP and screws off to reveal a Schrader valve and the gauge just pushes on. The top up can affixes to the pipe on the applicator and pull the trigger to top it up."

An aircon service should be more than just a top up.of refrigerant.