Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Using Two Sets Of Wheels/tyres

FROSTYBALLS

Information provided by Auris 1.6 vvt-i - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/user/71851-auris-16-vvt-i/

The new Auris (2015) accepts 2 sets of TPMS, so the main set does not get overwritten. It doesn't matter in what order they will be written to the ECU - just need to be written and the car manages them, so no re-learning necessary when rotating tyres. The only thing one needs to do after switching summer and winter sets is to press the TPMS initialization button in the glove box 3 times and that's it!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I contacted Toyota Uk last week regarding the use a second set of wheels with TPMS fitted here's a copy of their reply. They appear to contradict the assertion regarding the ability of the TPMS system's ability to store two sets of data, I be interested to hear if you've heard anything different from anyone else.

Regardless of this I've gone ahead and purchased a second set of OEM rims with TPMS valves so I'll just have to see how things go when I put my winter tyres on.

Dear Kevin,

Following my previous email, I have now heard back from the Technical Team.

Firstly, they would not recommend using a TPM sensor on a steel wheel. As the TPM sensor is aluminium, the reaction between this and the steel in the wheel, can cause bi-metallic corrosion, which will cause a failure of the sensor. This is why winter steel wheels are not recommended. They also mention that the Auris does not have the functionality to store 2 sets of TPMS valve IDs, meaning every time you wish to change the wheels the other set of codes would need to be registered.

They have also included a list of approved winter tyres that are suitable for your vehicle:

- ESKIMO HP MS 205/55R16 91H Sava Winter (List part deleted)

In a final note, I have spoken to your local Toyota Centre (Macrae & ***** Toyota) and they have informed me that they do offer a tyre 'hotel' service. They will fit your winter tyres for you when necessary and store your summer tyres. Come spring, they will re-fit your summer tyres and store your winter ones for when they are needed again. I understand that you did not want to be referred to your centre, but just in case you wanted to discuss this offer in more detail with them, I have included their details below.

May not be contradictory, as the original post was specific to the facelift Auris.

Sorry, I should have said that my car is a 2016 Auris Hybrid Icon, The information I received from Toyota was based on my registration number so does this make any difference to your reply ? 

Very few Toyota Owners Club members are clairvoyant, which includes myself.

Your profile is still showing your Toyota model is a Yaris, so my reply was based on that.

Please update your profile accordingly

• 1 month later...

I assure you, the new Auris can store two sets of TPM sensors ;) I can bet my "pink slip" on it! :D

• 2 weeks later...

So do u have to replace the tpm  sensors when get new tyres?

• 5 weeks later...
On 15.10.2016 г. at 9:57 PM, spen2811 said:

So do u have to replace the tpm  sensors when get new tyres?

Not, unless the sensor's dead. It just measures the pressure and temperature of the tire (any tire).