Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Brake Pads Reverse Clunk

richteex

Hi all,

Fitted new pads and discs a month or so ago.

Noticed this week I'm getting a clunk type noise when braking after reversing (only once) and then again when I brake the first time going forward (just once. Apart from that the brakes seems fine

Its as though pads are moving in the calliper. If checked the brakes again and all seems correct but still getting the noise. They are ebc brakes.

Any suggestions? Ive checked I have the right part numbers and all good there.

Cheers

The pad springs may be worn/tired. A replacement kit is readily available from Brakes International. They now operate on eBay so sourcing the correct kit is a breeze.

I fitted ebc disks and pads on the front and they were the worst kind of rubbish. I'll never buy anything from that company again. I threw them away and fitted pagid which are acceptable, but really unless you are into genuine, mintex or ferodo are the way forward imo.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Fitted new pads and discs a month or so ago.

Noticed this week I'm getting a clunk type noise when braking after reversing (only once) and then again when I brake the first time going forward (just once. Apart from that the brakes seems fine

Its as though pads are moving in the calliper. If checked the brakes again and all seems correct but still getting the noise. They are ebc brakes.

Any suggestions? Ive checked I have the right part numbers and all good there.

Cheers

Check that you have tightened the caliper mounting bolts correctly.Clunking noise like that can come from front or rear.

I fitted ebc disks and pads on the front and they were the worst kind of rubbish. I'll never buy anything from that company again. I threw them away and fitted pagid which are acceptable, but really unless you are into genuine, mintex or ferodo are the way forward imo.

I like your comment and in my instance it was Eicher brakes from EuroCarParts and BluePrint.

I had the clicking even when slowing, and after 4 months brake judder. It's been over 8 months since I fitted the Apec brakes and hardly an issue!

Apec brakes have been on my Mk1 for years before, with only one minor issue, so that is the brand I went back to.

Thanks all. Stripped the brakes again today and reinstalled the anti rattle clips..... noise has gone so hoping thats it. Will get a replacement set in the new year

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich, glad you got sorted. I should have been more specific about my own experience with EBC front disks and pads. When fitted they appeared fine, no rattles or squeaks. However over a period of about three months they warped in a significant way, meaning very noticeable brake judder. On inspection I noticed that the edges of the disks were covered in lots of slag and also saw that there were a significant number of pits in the wear surfaces of the disks indicating use of poor quality metal in manufacture. There are posts elsewhere on this forum detailing how warping occurs to poor quality disks due to heat build-up during heavy braking such as exiting a motorway. Once I threw away the three month old ebc disks and pads and fitted Pagid, I found nowhere near the slag formation and the disks are still in good condition 90k miles later. There is a small amount of warping in them, which is why I think I said I'd prefer Ferodo or Mintex next time, but overall my experience has been far superior for just a measly few pounds more.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

UPDATE - Noise came back after a couple of weeks.  So frustrating. spoke to EBC who sent out a set of adhesive shims which I applied to each brake pad and the knock hasnt returned.  Who would know that such a simple thing would solve such an annoyng problem.  Now thats sorted, time to do the rears now.  Not looking forward to removing those caliper bracket bolts on the back.  The front ones were tight as.

Possible the disc mounting bolts?

Has the caliper pistons and slider bolts been checked?

• 2 months later...

I had exactly the same clunking noise with Mintex pads fitted. I went to Eurocarparts intent on getting some new pads and a new spring kit. The helpful chap there informed me that the Brembo pads (£38) came with new springs, whereas the slightly cheaper Pagid ones didn't (and a seperate spring kit would've cost £22) I fitted the new pads and springs and the noise has completely gone. Result.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links