Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 150Bhp Xt-R Real Mpg

ninja365

Hi all

I am thinking on trading in my 2007 T180 for a 2010 XT-R in an effort to get a much better mpg. I have read on honestjohn's real mpg that the 2.2 D4D does just over 40mpg. My T180 manages 29mpg if i'm really gentle and doing 22,000 miles p.a. economy is pretty important.

Can you some XT-R owners feedback their MPG figures please?

Thanks

Joe.

Hi Joe, i have a 150bhp D-Cat Rav XT-R automatic,, 2012 last of the old shape, not done 10,000 miles yet, diesel of course, because it has 2 valves on it i think they are called ERG and a regenrating one in the exhaust somewhere where a 5th injector squirts fuel to clear out the muck which makes a mockery of a clean burn engine as far as I am concerned, almost as bad as the VW scandal going on now so I get a double whammy of fuel knock back economy and I generally only use it for short runs and once a week it needs a long run for the 5th injector to work, well I have never managed to achieve 30mpg. I know this is not what you wanted to read but these are the actual facts with my car. The car itself I am very pleased with but the fuel economy is poor to say the least.

Regards.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this and your right, this isn't what i was hoping to hear. Anybody else out there that can add to this?

I also have a 2.2 150bhp and mine is far better on fuel than Mickys. It's a 59 plate and one of the first 150's.

Around town, school run (grand children) etc I get high 20's / low 30's. On a run @ 70+ I get low 40's and that is up through the lakes and over the penines to Durham so plenty of hills.

Once whilst following my son who was towing a caravan I got 55 but I was driving like miss daisy.

Towing my caravan I get 25 - 30.

Mine is a manual and does not have a dpf or the fifth injector which is there to burn out the carbon in the filter.

All modern diesels have an egr system which is there to reduce NOX emissions, like wise all modern diesels have a dpf system of some sort, it's the law, an EU directive I believe.

DPF's can be a problem if you do a low mileage and don't get them hot enough to burn out the gunge.

Hope this helps.

Keith.

Our previous RAV was a 12-reg XT-R DCAT automatic that we bought in Aug '13 with 20K miles up. For the first few months it averaged 31.5 mpg in mixed driving, which included commuting up to 180 miles per day (A-road & M-way). We fitted a Lindop Chip and mpg improved to 35.5 - calc'd B2B in all cases and not per OBC, although that was accurate to within 1% of actual.

Traded it against an LC4 in Sept '14 when it was approaching 40K miles.

I had an 2009 registered SR180 - so mechanically the same as your T180 and manual - and that averaged 37.3 mpg over 56,000 miles. I now have a 2013 4.4 auto with the 150 bhp D-CAT engine that has averaged 38.4 mpg over 30,000 miles.

At 22,00 miles pa, assuming that a decent amount of that is on motorways and A roads, your T180 really should be doing better that 29 mpg ... I think.

Hi again Joe, my wife did a 54 mile run today and it made the fuel mpg better but because my car is mainly used for short runs is never really gets warm enough, if i'd of known then when i bought it what I know now i would of bought a petrol automatic version. There was a thread on here about a man with a Rav the same model as mine and the dealership literally too it for an about a 70 mile drive on a fast road holding it in 3rd gear to make whatever underneath regenerate whick is another way of saying they made the 5th injector squirt which in turn 'decokes' the exhaust system.

The other thing i suggest you ask, whatever model you go for is does the car have a cambelt or a timing chain, Toyota swopped about a bit through the years, in reality a timing chain is better as of course a cambelt is more likely to fail and is not cheap to get replaced.

I believe my model has to have either 0-5w or 5-15 LOW ASH engine oil otherswise it will wreck the engine, i just let the dealership do it so i don't worry but if you do your own oil changes the choice of engine oil is critical.

Mike.

Hi all, thanks for your posts. My T180 has never been good on fuel, I have tried a Lindop Box and it made a marginal difference on fue but had some side effects!. My driving is a lot A & B road with some dual carriageway thrown in so mostly 40 - 60 mph. To quote Northern Lad, i am driving it like Miss Daisy and there is very little difference which is disappointing. A Full tank gives an indicated range of 330 miles and i measure the MPG from fill ups (distance travelled divided by fuel in).

If i get an XT-R i would be hoping to get high 30's on combined driving but hit 40ish on a M-Way run.

Any more helpful folks out there wanting to share their economy figures??

Going off topic but on the subject of economy, at this time of year the engine management system increases the tick over speed from 800 to 1000 or even 1200 rpm until the engine is hot or outside temp gets above 10c.

If like Mickey you are pottering about, this wastes a lot of fuel and the engine will never get hot. If you turn the heater off the revs drop saving the fuel.

Penny pinching I know but if you are only averaging 28 mpg, every little helps.

Keith

The diesel has a two element electric heater incorporated in the heater unit, if you turn the heat control down one notch from high the engine will not idle up as it is only the highest heat setting which switchs the elements on. Lovely toasty on cold morning, don't forget to put control to recirculate mode.

keith

• Like 1

" A Full tank gives an indicated range of 330 miles"

bear in mind that it counts down to "reserve" & not truly empty (typical Toyota caution but running a diesel dry can be a pain to then restart). The reserve is usually ~9-10 litres.

Sorry big end but I don't recognise that type of control, is it on the 4.2 models.

Ours has dual mode climate control and you just change the temp scale on either side. It increases engine revs if the temp set at is above outside temp.

We have a 2.2 150 auto. We get around 35 mpg on combined to and fro work including 8 miles of dual carridge way and 45 on our regular run to Kent from Norfolk. Bearing in mind that is with 2 adults 2 teenage boys and a big dog.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links