Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 Multidrive Auto - Any Good?

arnold65

Hi, first post! Anyone any long-term driving experience of the 1.8i Valvematic Multidrive, any faults up at higher mileages? Seem to be quite reasonable s/h now, only faults seem to be the dreaded hand-brake problem!

IIrc it's HonestJohn's favourite version. Seems to be boringly reliable & even EPB actuator failures, whilst they certainly exist, don't seem to be common.

• Like 1

Thanks - I think there's a link if I can find it on some chaps modification to the EPB, as otherwise even after replacement it's prone to going again .....

I believe that replacement parts are now a modified version (iirc the 2012 facelift on had it ex-factory).

Had mine a couple of years now, the only problem was rattly brake calipers, fixed under warranty. It has about 38k miles tho, so it's not exactly a high miler.

It's a nice auto to drive but can be a bit revvy at times, especially noticeable at motorway speeds. It sits about 2000 revs at 70mph, but rises to about 3000 revs on hills.

Also consider a Mazda 6, IIRC it's available with a 2.0 petrol auto and around 150bhp. I've not actually driven an auto one but the CX5 diesel auto and the Mazda 3 petrol autos are both a great drive.

Thanks Alan333 - what mode do you drive it in, just CVT, or in the stepped mode? Wondering if the stepped mode (esp the paddles) give it a bit more control than a normal 'slush-matic' torque-converter....

cheers

Thanks Alan333 - what mode do you drive it in, just CVT, or in the stepped mode? Wondering if the stepped mode (esp the paddles) give it a bit more control than a normal 'slush-matic' torque-converter....

I usually just put it in Drive and let it do it's own thing. Paddling up makes a slight difference but the CVT slip is always there, irrespective of road speed or gear selection.

Don't be drastically put off by my comments tho - it's a nice auto to drive, just a bit revvy on motorway hills. On the other hand it gives you plenty power on tap. Sport mode drastically transforms the car from 'slushy mellow comfy' mode to 'sit up and take notice' mode.

Time and time again, a new/prospective owner refers to "the dreaded EPB problem" but there seem to be very few factual reports in this forum of this actually occurring.

So where are all the prospective owners getting their information from about EPB problems?

I think that it's the sheer cost of the fix outside warranty should it be needed that is the bogeyman that casts a shadow ... (of course also true for all other marques using EPBs)

whilst EPB failures certainly have occurred on the T27 as you say Dave, in reality they seem to be few & far between.

• Like 1

Had mine a couple of years now, the only problem was rattly brake calipers, fixed under warranty. It has about 38k miles tho, so it's not exactly a high miler.

It's a nice auto to drive but can be a bit revvy at times, especially noticeable at motorway speeds. It sits about 2000 revs at 70mph, but rises to about 3000 revs on hills.

Also consider a Mazda 6, IIRC it's available with a 2.0 petrol auto and around 150bhp. I've not actually driven an auto one but the CX5 diesel auto and the Mazda 3 petrol autos are both a great drive.

I usually just put it in Drive and let it do it's own thing. Paddling up makes a slight difference but the CVT slip is always there, irrespective of road speed or gear selection.

Don't be drastically put off by my comments tho - it's a nice auto to drive, just a bit revvy on motorway hills. On the other hand it gives you plenty power on tap. Sport mode drastically transforms the car from 'slushy mellow comfy' mode to 'sit up and take notice' mode.

I think that it's the sheer cost of the fix outside warranty should it be needed that is the bogeyman that casts a shadow ... (of course also true for all other marques using EPBs)

whilst EPB failures certainly have occurred on the T27 as you say Dave, in reality they seem to be few & far between.

Alan, you describe the transmission behaviour accurately, even though I have never driven or been in the auto version. I know the engine characteristics, and the CVT compliments it well. If you are doing 70 mph in the manual and need to change down from 6th to 5th, the revs will be similar at 3k rpm. Remember manual 5 speeders are doing that in 'top'. Also since the peek torque is 4k rpm, the CVT will rev the engine to get the performance.

On the flip side, when cruising the CVT has a taller 'top gear' keeping the revs down compared to the manual.

I find that I have hold a lower gear sometimes to keep the revs up, so a lot of gear changing, where as the CVT puts the engine in the optimum power point.

I don't worry about the EPB as I have found a place that repairs the unit at a much cheaper cost, and they are based in Surrey: http://www.surreyelectronics.com/leaflets/TOYOTA%20AVENSIS%20ELECTRONIC%20PARKING%20BRAKE%20SYSTEM.pdf

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links