Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheels Destroying Gearbox?!

Busted Yaris

Hello, got a fresh one for y'all

If you look in TOYOTA FAMILY forum, you'll see exactly what's up with my Yaris but long and short of it is:

I've had 2 replacement gearboxes in my 99 Yaris, and it's in the garage waiting to see if I'll put a 3RD on in it now!!! all Toyota GB can say is that coz I've taken the 175x65 R14s off and put on 195x50 R15 wheels n tyres, that is what's damaging my differentials! this will be the 3rd gearbox in 20 months I've owned it! :angry:

I've asked around and nobody believes it, what do you guys think???

Keep yourself nice

-Paul :ph34r:

I can't see how chaning the tyres is destroying the gearbox/differentials. It's definately a bizarre situation and I'm sorry to hear how unhelpful Toyota GB are being over the whole matter. Surely even if there is a minute chance it is to do with the tyres it would be beneficial for them to try and replicate the problem to find out exactly why and how the problem is occuring as I am sure your not the only person with after market tyres and non-stock tyre sizes on your car....

While I was working at a dealer last year, we put 18's on our Yaris T-sport demo!! :blink: As far as I know the person who then bought the car has done a fair few miles with no probs at all.

Have you been in touch with customer relations at TGB?

Ask dealer for their area Customer Service Manager to take a look at it. If you let me know what dealer it is I can get you his name.

I saw from your other posts that the dealers in question were McCarthy's, their CSM should be Neil Jones.

cant believe that..It has to be something internally wrong .I have 15s on mine for nearly a year and no gearbox probs at all

I've heard of Seras which have had aftermarket alloys fitted getting through wheel bearings. The cause was down to the wheel offset being incorrect. Fitting suitable spacers to achieve the correct offset solved the problem.

Thanks Dub, I'm gonna have to talk to this CSM dude.

Although Toyota are saying that I've put non-spec alloys on so no warranty, but I recall the car being sold to me without Toyota spec alloys anyway! I test drove it with standard steel rims but they told me they had some alloys going for £150. Bargain I thought, but if you look on most hyundai's with ten spoke alloys - they're the ones Toyota put on my car! Non-spec methinks!! :angry:

hmmmm, any thoughts?

Keep yourselves nice :ph34r:

To be honest they are just st it. If they say this is the cause then ask them for some sound engineering research to prove it.

The rolling radius will be the same or similar yes you will have a bit more traction but it will still be well tollerences.

Total pish from a pish company who make pish cars especially the Yaris!!

Changing your tire size and rim size, doesn't matter if you go larger in width, and rim size , as long as the trans ratio, and diff ratio, can put out , the same power or more. But as you are saying it is not possible that you are breaking diffs because of going to 15/50's, I have the same size tires , but I break axels instead. I know why , Because of my engine torque, and gearbox gears redone. I broke 7 axels already , over non sense, because , someone wanted me to prove some thing. For example, I have a manual

trans (Like I said gears redone) and engine has $6000, in work to it. I can dig a 2 to 3 inch hole in the ground, by power brake, and shifting 4 gears standing still, it take some power to do that. You only see that on the tv. But Seeing so many doubt full, I usually bet on it now, since I don't want to pay any more for showing off.So if you doubt me , and you have money to donate to me and my car please contact me, and myself and my car will appreciate it. Now I'm sounding boastful, but I'm not. I Build racing engines, stock engines as my profession. Trust me Been in this business over 25 years, Even builded hydro boat engines, especially 451 clevelands, or 480 chysler motors, throwing out tremendous horses, and fan tail, up to 40 feet.

lol that had no relevance what so ever to Busted Yaris's problem!

I'm not sure wether I want to put 15's on my yaris anymore now :(

Hi yarisboy. If you want to put 15" on your car then do it!!!. Having bigger wheels are not to blame for busted yaris problems. If you go down to your local dealer they will have 15" in there accessories book ready for you to buy for your yaris.

jerry!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wen a friend of mine was havin same prob but wit a pug 405 mi16 pug didnt know why it was happening so just put it down to like toyota say to you its cos youve got aftermarket wheels on he then took it to an inderpendant garage and they found the problem. Cant remem wat it was now tho lol.

But try taking it to an inderpendant garage.

• 2 weeks later...

Ello

Thanks guys for all the help and advice but reluctantly, after a hefty fight with Toyota (they kept on referring on and on about their terms & conditions) - still saying I put after market wheels on therefore voided all warranty :angry: I had to take the car to a Pinewood garage instead of a McCarthys and they fit a salvaged low mileage (?) gearbox in it for a lump sum £930! nice :ph34r:

Car seems to be running ok now and they said that the wheels shouldn't make a difference if I@m careful <_<

Keep yourselves nice!

• 2 years later...

Ive also had this problem with my yaris.

im running 205x40x17`s and this is the first time ive heard of this on any car.

if any1 could tell me how much a gearbox will be roughly from toyota?

cheers moss

• 5 months later...

id just change my yaris sounds like to much hassel for a small car get rid and get somthing that will handle with bigger wheels NEW CARS ARNT ALWAYS THE BEST get a celica gt-four st185 :thumbsup: very good cars and look very cool B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links