Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Safety Sense

Bill_F

9 minutes ago, Swede_mike said:

No they had spoken with Toyota, read again.

"We spoke to Toyota UK, which told us this issue could be due to recent bouts of cold weather. If frost is covering any parts of the sensors on the windscreen, the system will stop working. Try giving the glass a clean before setting off."

I made the original post - and the reply to Terry Parrot's e-mail is Auto Express's.

I know but it depends on how you read the answer...

The Auto Express reply was exactly as quoted. Toyota may have 'told us this issue could be due to recent bouts of cold weather. If frost is covering any parts of the sensors on the windscreen, the system will stop working.' 

However the advice to try cleaning the glass may well be the advice of Auto Express, and to assume Toyota stated that is your assumption, and may not be correct.

And the other way around is also possible.

Toyotas explanation is nevertheless idiotic and a slap in the face to us consumers that have theese badly constructed TSS systems.

I felt like the car would have been safer without TSS because of the distraction.

Again you don't know what part of Auto Express's reply was a Toyota statement, so you don't know whether their statement was idiotic.

Well due to the weather conditions is rather idiotic when they are well aware of a big big problem!

I know that this really bad situation has been discussed frequently at top level both in countries and at EU level.

2 hours ago, Swede_mike said:

Toyotas explanation is nevertheless idiotic and a slap in the face to us consumers that have theese badly constructed TSS systems.

Thought you had said previously you had changed the Auris for a Volvo - so if what you said was correct, you no longer have TSS.

As others have shown, it doesn't need ice to knacker the TSS on Avensis and Auris.  Pound to a penny that it's a Toyota PR who added the patronising addenda.

20 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Thought you had said previously you had changed the Auris for a Volvo - so if what you said was correct, you no longer have TSS.

Sorry that is correct!

Thank god for that!

Hi Guys 

just to let everyone who's got the same problem know that's I took my Verso in to Toyota and they put a heating elements inside the TSS Sensors. 

Will keep everyone know if this solved the problem on my Verso . 

Just to update since the Auris went to RRG Macclesfield for the modifications to the TSS on 7 February. 

Since then there have been no recurrences of the error messages.  Even when travelling on the Cat and Fiddle road and the A34, where it has happened before, in damp, foggy and cold conditions, on several occasions, the latest yesterday in minimum of 3C, and fog over the cat, and heavy traffic in and out of Manchester.

Fingers crossed! But seems OK now. 

Great to hear no errors. Does it look like it is working though? Automatic headlights and pre collision warnings?

Good points. Auto headlights OK, and one panic warning (for nothing much as usual) on the pre collision system, so that works in theory. I try not to rely on AI:)

Yeah me too but I would still like it to work in the event of a collision. fingers crossed..

• 3 weeks later...

I

1 hour ago, Makokk said:

The surround camera system is a driver's aid for parking and towing, rather than a driver's aid that is intended to provide advance warning of potential safety issues - so isn't relevant to this thread.

Lol I didn't claim it was a safety issue just a malfunctioning camera system on normal weather conditions that ****** off that couple enough to put a sticker on the car. 

• Like 1

Still not relevant

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Still not relevant

Lighten up and don't be such a bully......

14 minutes ago, Martin23 said:

Lighten up and don't be such a bully......

If the faults had been to do with the Evoque's lane keep assist with driver monitor, blind spot monitoring or similar, which are safety related driver aids, then fine. They aren't - so they're not relevant.

Nothing to do with lightening up or bullying.

In the Netherlands, I have a 2015 Auris Hybrid Touring Sports which was handed factory-new to me in August 2016 (dealers stocked up in 2015 due to 2016 fiscal changes here in NL).

From the autumn and through the soft winter I'm having the same TSS "Temporarily unavailable" warnings. Almost always at the same stretch after roughly 30km on my daily morning drive to work. I was suspecting it was the sun combined with the new broad 2x six lane motorway... Now I've  found this thread.

I'm about to bring it in for a first service, 15.000km according to the manual if I'm not mistaken. Why doesn't the car advise me that it soon needs it's scheduled service??

What is fascinating, is that even being a very popular model here in the Netherlands, we have no owners forum at all, nor do I see any NL drivers on this forum. The explanation I think, is that here in NL this model and most Hybrids are almost always a company car lease, hardly any private ownership, due to NL fiscal advantages for Hybrids.

Anyway, I will address the TSS issue for the service and report back here on their response. Only other issues are the drivers' reading light which almost falls apart when pressing (anyone else?). And the very bad insulation of the steering column which gives cold draughts to your fingers. My previous Auris 2011 didn't have this problem.

Have the same problem with the driver's reading light. I'm planning to take the car in for the update on the tss system that people have mentioned on the forum but it's hard to make the time during working hours..

Just read the entire thread - interesting reading and glad I did......

A number of people previously have said that the TSS is on all Avensis except the Active.  However, looking at the spec' on the current Active version it appears that the TSS is on the car.  Is someone able to confirm 100% if it now comes as standard on all Avensis.

Also be interested to hear about the % of cars where the system doesn't work properly/reliably - personally looking at buying  a new Avensis so most interested in those!!!  There are always a few cars that will have problems but is it across the board as some make out or is it that those without problems are keeping quiet as they have no issues?

Thanks.

You won't be able to assess any realistic percentage via the forum, as we only have a small number of owners of the facelift model. As with any forum, most new members only post when they have an issue, so the percentage of members with TSS problems could be artificially high.