Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Prius Engine Knocking Problem Solved

AMAQ03

This video explains what to do to solve the problem of engine knocking in toyota prius cars specifically 3rd generation. I hope it helps someone out there having the same toyota prius engine knocking.

• Like 1

How much do replacement injectors or recon ones cost these days?

Mike.

How much do replacement injectors or recon ones cost these days?

Mike.

Mine were just cleaned or reconditioned for about $30 if i recall correctly. but if you're planning to buy new ones or recondition them i'll suggest going to the toyota dealership but make sure the pull them out and clean them and not poor a bottle of fuel cleaner. emphasize that you want the fuel injectors taken out and cleaned to the technicians or the manager in the dealership. If they dont have the machine to clean them then go somewhere else.

The machine looks something like this20120111_161608.jpg

$30!!!

I'd be lucky to anyone here in the U.K to even do one for double that cost let alone all of them......I've just posted up a reply in another topic explaining my situation and wondered if you had the same issue as me prior to any work done on the injectors:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/165658-cold-start-knock-rough-running/page-2

Mike.

• Like 1

$30!!!

I'd be lucky to anyone here in the U.K to even do one for double that cost let alone all of them......I've just posted up a reply in another topic explaining my situation and wondered if you had the same issue as me prior to any work done on the injectors:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/165658-cold-start-knock-rough-running/page-2

Mike.

Yes after reading some of your post i had the same problem.

In your video at 2:23 when looking at the injector spray patterns you say the correct spray pattern means direct burning over the centre of the piston. I don’t think that’s exactly the case.

These are indirect fuel injectors ie they spray a fine mist of fuel into the inlet manifold or inlet port upstream of the inlet valve. Modern IC engines are designed to maximise swirl throughout the induction and compression stroke to more fully aid combustion. Petrol does not burn as a liquid, it has to be converted into a vapour first so the mixture is subject to very dynamic conditions inside the combustion chamber as in the open chamber combustion bowl design.

There’s no doubt that faulty injector nozzle spray pattern affects the engine running but there’s a lot more going on than just the spray pattern.

• Like 1

In your video at 2:23 when looking at the injector spray patterns you say the correct spray pattern means direct burning over the centre of the piston. I don’t think that’s exactly the case.
These are indirect fuel injectors ie they spray a fine mist of fuel into the inlet manifold or inlet port upstream of the inlet valve. Modern IC engines are designed to maximise swirl throughout the induction and compression stroke to more fully aid combustion. Petrol does not burn as a liquid, it has to be converted into a vapour first so the mixture is subject to very dynamic conditions inside the combustion chamber as in the open chamber combustion bowl design.
There’s no doubt that faulty injector nozzle spray pattern affects the engine running but there’s a lot more going on than just the spray pattern.

well yes there are many thing that might cause that engine knock but i had to learn it the hard way after trying everything in the book then i decided to go ahead and clean the injectors which solved the problem for me.

The pattern is important along with many other things. As long as the pattern is uniform and the fuel is sprayed over the spark plugs directly then in a uniform pattern then you'll have a smooth combustion which is perpendicular to the piston pushing it straight down with minimum angular force.

non-uniform patterns will cause non-uniform combustion that will put angular forces on the piston and cause damage to your engine after a while which will make it knock.

This was the case with my old car that i sold after fully fixing the problem. It doesn't have to be the case for every prius that knocks but it's certainly a possible solution for some to take into consideration.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links