Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Kind Usb Adapter Would Work In 2008 Auris

Aur

I want to buy a USB adapter for my 2008 year Auris. Radio model nr is W13831.
Can anyone recommend from their own experience a USB adapter that works with the specific Auris radio (W13831), including the steering wheel controls.
I would like to order from eBay, loaction is not important (do not have to be in the UK) and bluetooth function is not needed. The USB is enough.
I was also wondering what happens with the built-in CD box with six slots. I know that the adapter goes into the CD box slot, but is this ment for the so called external CD box? Does the adding of the adapter influence the work of the built-in CD box?
Can the Auris radio already have somekind of plug on the back of the CD box slot? If there is, what kind of cable do I need to buy additionally?

Pretty much all of these USB adaptors plug into the CD-changer slot which normally goes to a CD multi-changer box somewhere else in the car. Normally this would mean you have to choose between the two, but since yours is built-in, you might be able to have both? I'm not sure...

There are a few different makes for such devices; The main ones are Connects2, XCarlink and GromAudio. Have a look at their sites to see what they have.

The next main thing is figuring out what connector you have; About half-way down this page:

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=35&cat=11&page=1

...are the two connector types commonly used on Toyotas; Yours is a newer car so it probably uses the smaller connector.

Most of the time there is something already plugged into the socket so you need a Y-splitter cable, which you should be able to buy with the unit. I had one hell of a time trying to find one when I bought my xcarlink (Even Toyota weren't much help!) but pestered the xcarlink people and they now stock them separately on their site.

You can probably buy these things on eBay but it can take some searching.

A nice site is http://www.fitaudio.com/ - It has guides for lots of cars on how to remove their fitted radios.

Can I add to Cyker's reply that I added a USB/Bluetooth adapter, since my car did not have USB. This adapter works on all Toyota's and was very cheap.

Read my post: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/169513-added-usbbluetooth-adaptor-to-w53828-in-avensis-mk3/

Here is the eBay sellers Auris version:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-USB-SD-AUX-MP3-Player-CD-changer-adapter-Toyota-Auris-Corolla-Yaris-2006-12-/121474706644?hash=item1c4874ecd4:g:lFYAAOSwcu5UUnGv

The best bit about any USB adapter, is you can change tracks albums via the steering controls. It is quicker than the MP3 CD I also have loaded. The only disadvantage is some adapters like mine only show track numbers, not names and titles. Also no Apple iPhone/iPod support -The bluetooth version can control the device via bluetooth, which works with smartphones and via steering controls. There are expensive brands like Dension that support track/artist names, and work with Apple products.

http://www.dension.com/products/car-multimedia-solutions/gateway-lite-bt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XDension+usb+toyota.TRS0&_nkw=Dension+usb+toyota&_sacat=0

There are a lot of choices that give good integration.

Konrad

Ooops, forgot about Dension! I've only really played with the xcarlink and gromaudio ones - The xcarlink is a bit buggy and does weird stuff sometimes, but has built-in support for SDHC cards as well as USB and AUX.

The GromAudio has options for vrious connections but not SDHC, but can display tracknames on any headunit that supports CDText (Mine doesn't alas!). It also supports more formats (e.g. OGG, which is much better than MP3) and has firmware updates to fix bugs and add features, which the xcarlink also doesn't support.

I forgot to add Yatour, which is sold via eBay.

Cyker mentions that Xcarlink being buggy. The Connects2 iConnect device for Sony I have, had a bug that occasionally it would swap the mode so that the USB and CD changer moved up one and became CD1 and CD2 whilst Sony's internal CD became CD3. The other bug was the USB playback was not available. That was when I first installed it about 8 years ago, and happened maybe five times during ownership. The latest issue was the cable being too bent at the socket, but I recent swapped that with a cable with right angle plugs.

These devices will be around so long as there is a demand, because most later cars now have USB/SD and AUX fitted.

I see people saying "just use AUX", but I dislike it because you cannot change the tracks easily. The sound is can be bad too, as the output level might be low, yet there is distortion when trying to raise the volume to a line level, in some devices. bluetooth control is better and input/output may have the same issue as AUX, but again this is down to the volume/EQ settings. My Samsung has an independent volume setting for bluetooth output.

This is why I prefer USB/SD with well converted MP3/WMA files. I am using 16gb memory stick at moment, and also have a MP3/WMA CD loaded. Better than carrying lots of CDs, which I used to do in the past.

I've got a yetour device from Amazon that has bluetooth, usb, auxiliary and card reading facilities cost me about £65 took 10 mins to fit and place the microphone

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links