Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing Armrest Console

toyofandom

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum - thank you in advance for your assistance/comments..

Question: Is it possible to safely remove the central 'armrest' console in a 2004 Pruis without impacting any operations - this would be reinstalled at a later date/resale point

Please see attached image for reference post-152021-0-17516000-1451913545_thumb.

Well, from memory, its only 4 screws to remove it, but the Aux connection point and a 12v charging socket are also in the centre console so if you remove it, there will be wires to be hidden. Also, as I recall, the carpet doesnt extend to under the console, so you will have bare metal in view. If I may ask, why would to want to remove it?

I'm a rather large fella (6ft 2, 280kg/44 stone/620lbs), and I am looking to buy a car that does not have a central 'console' - I need to have no width restriction typically imposed by those increasingly wide and popular central transmisison tunnels you find in modern cars.

The Pruis looked like a likely candidate, if the console was not there because I could then easily occupy more of the width without something digging into my sides..

I wasn't aware that there are wires of any sort in the console - I don't own the car yet and haven't gone to the car sales depots to have a look. I thought I'd enquire online first and see what would work.. It's the only Toyota that was on my shortlist and if I can make the plan work, it'd be the only Japanese car I could realistically look at from what I've found so far..

Its an easy enough thing to remove, the 12v charger and Aux socked are under the armrest, which flips up, which is probably why you didn't notice them. It's a case or raising the arm, lifting the lining at the bottom, and removing 4 screws, the electrics unplug as I recall. possibly a bit fiddly but the dealer could probably do it in about 10 minutes.

hope this helps

Sounds like viable option - I may well consider the Prius if the dealer can recommend someone to install a cover/mat of sorts over the plate..

thank you for your responses on this - hopefully I end up going with the Prius..

Its a great car, if you get one you won't regret it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links