Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of A Becoming An Auris Owner

Shid786

Hi

I am thinking of owning an Auris and would be grateful if Auris owners can help steer me in the right direction with regards to my potential purchase. I am contemplating either a petrol or 1.4 diesel. I want a hassle free car so any advice on whether to go for petrol or diesel and what size engine would be great. Furthermore what are the common faults to look out for on my purchase?

Thanks in advance for your help

what mileage/style of driving do you do?

which generation are you looking at?

I would avoid the SR180/T180.

I went shopping for one, for my trust Toyota dealership to tell me to avoid at all costs due to engine, egr and other issues.

I drove the 2010 1.6 Valvematic SR, I was impressed and it packed 140hp, which is considerably more than your standard Focus, Golf etc.

If it wasn't for the paintwork on the SR, I would have bought it!

The Hybrid is surprisingly good too, its quite pokey and the steering is pretty light, again the 1.8 petrol puts out 136hp.

If it's in your budget go for a Hybrid one, no doubt this is the best Auris. Watch if steering makes knocking noise when turn slowly or when going over rough surface, common fault with Toyota. Check the car for any signs of crash damage and make sure you check all 4 brake discs for excessive rust, typical for hybrids that are not driven very often or low miles examples. Also good to check tyres conditions as they are expensive too. It's always better if the car has full service history especially if still under warranty. I bought recently a 1.4 diesel and went into so much trouble, worst car ever , lucky that I've could return it so now looking to get another hybrid.

I think that's all. Good luck

A reasonable starting point are the Honest John reviews:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/auris-2007/

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/auris-2013/

Petrol: 2007- late 2008 1.4 and 1.6; 2008 - November 2012 1.33 and 1.6; December 2012 - July 2015 1.33 and 1.6; July 2015 onwards 1.33 and 1.2 turbo.

I went for the 1.6 petrol Valvematic and have been generally very happy with it. The Auris petrol engines appear to be bullet proof in terms of reliability, the 1.4 diesel doesn't seem too bad, but the 2.2 diesel is probably best avoided IMHO.

Avoid the MMT (multimode transmission) versions as some people have had issues with them!

Definitely go for the Valvematic petrols which are 6 speed, and more power, over the older vvti and 5 speed, especial on high speed journeys.

My budget is £4500, is the 1.4 diesel more problematic than the petrol version. Also what is 1.4 petrol version like?

My budget is £4500, is the 1.4 diesel more problematic than the petrol version. Also what is 1.4 petrol version like?

If you drive mostly on city, go for the petrol, but if you're driving highways, go for petrol. Small trips on city are bad for dpf on diesel engine.

I did a search using a Wigan postcode and got a few cars up. You can usually get the car at a price lower than advertised.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/toyota/auris/postcode/wn11ar/radius/50/price-from/3000/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/onesearchad/used/price-to/5000/fuel-type/petrol/sort/default/page/2

There are some good car within your budget, but see them in person. I would go for either the Valvematic 1.6 or the dual VVTi 1.3 as they are better and have 6 speed gearboxes. There is nothing wrong with the earlier Auris, but I would find the short gearing spoils the car when on the motorway. Other times it is not an issue. I would like to know the gearing of all the petrols. My Avensis is quite high geared, so the engine is doing around 2500 rpm at 70 mph. I know the 1.6 vvti Auris will show 3500 rpm at the same speed, and my old Mk1 1.8 shows 3000 rpm (same as my Mk3 in 5th gear). All this means a smooth, quiet and relaxed progress on the motorway.

Another preference is the kit level. The higher the spec the better.

I test drove yesterday an 1.6 valvematic Auris with 47k miles on 10 plates and did like the engine, however didn't like the car enough to make me buy it. Engine was running well, responsive and powerful to keep up with the traffic and here was where the good things finished. What I didn't like:

Gear lever position too high and very difficult to move in all directions, believe me or not but other Aurises I try it before were very similar

Gearbox whining at 50mph no matter what gear is selected

Noises- so much tyre and wind noise that plus when I Rev the engine I felt like I am inside next to it under the bonnet, it's a shame that car manufacturers like Peugeot, Ford, Vauxhall make better sound proof cars then Toyota. Overall not too bad car , but not too good either. No comparison to the hybrid ones especially t-spirit trims. Doesn't make sense to buy non hybrid Auris over the hybrid unless price difference is from £3000 and up.

It just goes to show how much experiences of previous cars affect ones opinion on test drives. Coming from a Skoda Octavia TDi I was immediately impressed how quiet the Valvematic engine was, how smooth and well positioned the gear change is and how little tyre noise there is in the Auris! :-)

I am very tempted by an Auris hybrid mind you, but my wife is set on having another larger car so it will probably be an Avensis estate next.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

If you drive mostly on city, go for the petrol, but if you're driving highways, go for petrol. Small trips on city are bad for dpf on diesel engine.

Agreed, diesel should be avoided by all accounts if you're likely to do short runs, unless you're willing to commit to a routine of potentially pointless longer journeys in order just to regenerate the DPF.

I've just switched from a 1.6 VVT-i (petrol) Corolla to the Auris (pre-2015-facelift) Hybrid, and although I loved the 1.6 for its responsiveness, I am really enjoying the smooth drive of the hybrid system. And the CVT which so many reviews complain about is just fine if you don't thrash it. It's no race car, that's for sure, but if economy and efficiency are the priority then it makes a lot of sense (and there's always the power mode button...). But if your budget doesn't allow for that, I've read good things about the 1.33 and the 1.6 in terms of reliability. The 1.33 might feel a bit slow depending on what you're used to. The 1.6 should feel good, but running costs aren't so good compared with many of the options out there these days.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

On my short test drive for a 6 miles journey on a B road at 50mph the Auris 1.6 returned around 42mpg according to the trip computer which I think is very good, as I did few hard accelerations to see how the engine will respond. The similar test with 1.4 diesel was 46.7 mpg so not a huge difference. It's very interesting what actually the Auris owners gets with their cars in daily use, will appreciate all comments, I am still looking for a car?

It's very interesting what actually the Auris owners gets with their cars in daily use, will appreciate all comments, I am still looking for a car?

You can see my gas mileage in my signature. The current tanks mileage is worse (5.5 l/100 km), but weather is cold - below 0°C (-1°C to -15°C), with snow and ice and heavy traffic (15 km/h AVG speed) and ICE kicks in more often just to be able to heat the interior car to the desired temperature (22°C)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links