Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A 2007 Avensis

MacsJeep

Hi guys

I'm about to buy a 2007 Avensis T Spirit 2.0 petrol with the auto box. It's from a main dealer and has had one lady owner, 29,000 genuine miles, FDSH. It looks and appears to drive mint. Is there anything I need to know about this model, good or bad, or anything to look out for as it's my first ever Toyota!

Cheers :)

I bought a 6 years old 1.8vvti auto with 29k miles on it a few years ago. Mine had road rumble (mainly noticed above about 50mph) which I never got to the bottom of during my ownership (changed tyres, checked wheel bearings etc, and it passed two mot's). Other than that I had no problems. So I recommend listening for it during your road test - perhaps it's a low mile thing, or perhaps it was just my one?

I also owned another 4 year old 1.8vvti manual for about 3 years. During my ownership, apart from engine servicing, it cost me the pricely total of a tail light bulb and a rear wiper blade. Seriously not a single other thing, no tyres, brakes etc, and I covered close to 30k in it.

Toyota had oil burning issues with their 1.8 vvti engine which there are plenty reports about, but I've only read of one person with similar sounding troubles with the 2.0vvti, so your engine should be good. There doesn't seem to be many bad reports on the auto boxes either, except an occasional broken cable.

Make sure the service history is per miles or per year, whichever comes first. So an 07 plate should have at least 8 stamps in the book or it hasn't been done to manufacturers spec.

• Like 1

Hi Dawn & welcome to the forum :)

other than it's obviously not going to be the most fuel efficient car not as far as I know is there any major issue.

You should get 3 keys, 2 remote & 1 grey"valet" key.

Sat nav updates are not cheap & are usually out of date by the time that they come out anyway - better to buy a new Garmin/Tomtom if you want the functionality.

Headlights aren't great but can be improved with upgraded bulbs (Osram Nightbreakers/Philips Xtreme Vision).

Brakes don't have great feel - again a change to non-oem pads can improve this.

• Like 1

Thank you for replying! Fuel economy will probably seem okay to me as my old car is Pajero. My biggest want is reliability. This one comes with a year warranty so that's something. I've fallen in love with it, but wanted to check what real owners have to say. I look forward to posting and chatting more!

• Like 1

tbh I don't know that it will be much better than your Pajero especially if you are going to tow.

A petrol Toyota is usually about as reliable as you can get (subject to proper maintenance etc.).

I won't be towing. I don't know why that avatar has come up. We haven't owned that in ages! Fuel economy isn't really a worry for where I travel now. I'll definitely keep the servicing up, though! Thank you for all your replies. 😃

• Like 1

Picked this up yesterday and the dealer was awesome. Very pleased with how I was treated and with the work done before I collected that I hadn't even pointed out.

Congratulations on your new car - I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Congrats

Hi just buying a similar car to this one but missing it's service book but I have most of the receipts can anyone tell me what the correct service intervals should be,it's a 57 plate 1.8 tr auto petrol and if I can get a replacement book anywhere?

cheers Gordon

Hi Gordon

It's my understanding that regardless of mileage the car should have been serviced once a year. Mine has eight stamps in the book. If it has been serviced by a Toyota dealer, they will have the records for you even if you have no book. The dealer I bought mine from has registered me on something called "My Toyota" where you can actually log in and pull up ALL the car's records, not just the services provided its main dealer repairs. You'll need a code off the log book for that, but you can register on their yourself.

So far, I am seriously impressed with my car. :)

Hope that helps

Hi Dawn thank you very much for that answer, I will contact toyota

cheers Gordon

Hi can anyone with the 1.8 auto give me a rough idea on average fuel mpg to expect

cheers Gordon

Hi can anyone with the 1.8 auto give me a rough idea on average fuel mpg to expect

36mpg average.

Edit...that's a previously owned 1.8vvti, not my current 1.8 valvematic.

• 6 months later...

Have a look at the first post of the following thread - 

It is thought only a small percentage of engines are affected. As you have the reg no, one should be able to check with a Toyota dealer as to whether it has had a replacement, modified engine.

He's buying a petrol so that thread isn't relevant.

Should be a lovely car & if you already have a 2005 you should know about most of the common issues - headlights aren't great (but can be improved with upgraded bulbs), oem brakes aren't the most confidence inspiring in terms of feel/feedback but ultimately work (again can be improved with non-oem pads/discs). Can get condensation/water leaks in both front & rear lights. The satnav will be outdated in terms of technology & the map updates will be more than a new Garmin/Tomtom.

If it's got a full Toyota service history should still be eligible for a Toyota Extended Warranty (incl Toyota Roadside Assistance) & afaik there is still a "2 years for the price of 1" offer on.

Thank you for your answers. I will see the car today, and if all will be fine I will swap mine Toyota for a newer one :D

Hope fully you will see this in time. The engine has direct injection where the fuel injectors are in the cylinder head instead of the inlet manifold. This means the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber, and this is done under a higher pressure.

Make sure there are no leaks and the seals are good.

Usual checks like oil level and condition, all the other fluids - coolant, brake and windscreen washer.

Also check the the EML works when you start the car. make sure you see all the other warning lights. 

When I have checked a car, I have taken photos of  anything I need to note.

Hope the car is what you want. 

I collected car today morning. It drives like a dream. And I negotiate the price because i discover that front panel from navigation don't want to flip, so I am unable to put any Cd's inside. Any clues whats happen and how to fix it? This is b9010 model. I can live with this but any hints how to fix it will be appreciated.

I found partially solution but I'm not sure if i can fit something like Bluetooth adapter to this model of stereo. I already look on youtube how to remove unit and it's lookin quite easy.