Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do You Suspect This Private Seller Is A Dealer?

Adam Zapple

Sorry to bombard you guys with so many questions but I've no experience of buying second hand cars. I've had company cars all my working life but I've just been made redundant. My confidence has taken a hit and I'm living off my savings at the minute. I'm prepared to travel a reasonable distance to find an honest car but I'd like to weed out any suspicious vehicles before I spend money on fuel. I hope that didn't sound like a sob story. I'm not fishing for sympathy, honest! Lol

I've just seen this estate for sale. Again, it's not on my doorstep but it's a doable distance. I know I'm arguably the world's most suspicious man but the service history puzzles me. The seller claim he's private and claims the car has full Toyota service history. The book's there showing all the stamps and the last one is recent but this guy is in Bolton yet all the history was done in Wrexham (the first couple in Mansfield, I think). Does this sound like a dealer whose buying at auctions?

Here's a link to the car: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601069865962?radius=55&sort=locasc&search-target=usedcars&price-to=4500&fuel-type=petrol&model=avensis&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&transmission=manual&make=toyota&postcode=s752tp&page=6&logcode=p

He could be dealing. When you ring first say I am calling about the car, if he responds "which one?" you will know, also always ask how long he has owned the car and why he is selling. He could be connected with the motor trade or buying at auction both are common. I always look at the number plates, if they are new or the back and front have different logos I am suspicious, this is surprisingly common.

• Like 2

That car has almost a full history at our Wrexham branch so no problem with that. The owner lived locally to here :thumbsup:

• Like 2

You're not a trader yourself "Adam" are you - punting stuff on here with direct links to Auto Trader? and maybe Gumtree coming up next?

Definitely a trader.

Why do they hide? Is it to avoid fees (I'm assuming trade advertising is more expensive than private) and make tax free money or is it to avoid any legal responsibilities once a sale is completed? Or all three?

All three but most likely to avoid any responsibility in case something goes wrong after the sale. There is nothing wrong to buy a car from someone like that as long as the car is good and he is honest. The things with used cars is that if you are not prepared to travel and to disappoint you have to buy whatever is close to you. I live next to the biggest used car retailer and never found anything good for me. Traveling is the only way to go, and I never trust any of those mechanics that just earn their living and doesn't care of you and your car. At the end any used car purchase is kind of risk but if you don't take it you want have any car except brand new. Just give a try to whatever you short listed.

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Brave_Jan said:

So this guy turned out to be a trader?

He's probably retired by now 😉

• Haha 2

There are many small traders that buy from an auction that the public does not have access to and offer cars priced between main dealer and private sales. I have bought a couple of cars from small dealers working from home without any problems and both seemed decent guys. Why not ask the guy, be upfront and voice your concerns. How he deals with that will either allay your concerns or re -enforce them. Just a guy trying to make a living! The main thing is to check the car to your satisfaction.

• Like 2

OOps had not noticed how old this post was.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sproutdreamer said:

OOps had not noticed how old this post was.

Still relevant today, in case the subject comes up. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by the term "dealer", can mean all sorts, what do you mean?