Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr180 2009 Engine Stalling At Low Revs

Denfromfax

Hi Guys, getting to the end of my tether with the Rav4 now. Owned the car since March 2014 and until about 9 weeks ago never had an issue. Full MDSH bang on time with 88K on it now.

9 weeks ago the clutch went on me on the M8 in Scotland while we were going on holiday and had it repaired with new clutch and DMF in Port Glasgow at over £1200 quid. Ran fine afterwards but stunk a bit for a few days of burning oil.

Anyhow fast forward about 10 days and its service time so into RGB in Huddersfield, 3 days later while travelling to York, engine cuts out while waiting at a roundabout, turns on and no power like in limp mode, only light that came on was a low oil pressure!

I do quite long journeys of 300 miles plus a couple of times a week with work. Rang dealer up and arranged to go back in but in between the car would lose power on the motorway or stall in town, !Removed! annoying and pretty dangerous at this time of year.

Anyhow Toyota could not find anything, even though admitting it stalled in their workshop (they assured me they re-changed the fuel filter), they also said they would raise a ticket with Toyota on the engine head gasket as they had issues with these before but told me a few days later that Toyota would not accept it.

So I took it on myself to dig through the forums and have found some great info and carried out the following...

1. Cleaned the MAF sensor
  2. Tried to clean the EGR with Wynnes EGR cleaner but no real change
  3. Stripped the EGR - pretty simple job with some great guides on the net. The valve was completely coked up with both fine hard carbon deposits - car ran much better but still failed on the motorway when warm after about 20 minutes
  4. Used Archoil 6600 turbo cleaner

Drove to York with one blip on the A64 on Monday and then fine until today when it decided to cut out at the lights after I had put my foot down a little bit (is there a link there?).

Are there any good independents in Yorkshire that somebody could recommend or any further ideas?

Thinking about trying BG244 which is mentioned in several posts and also looking at the SCV valves but any info / ideas would be great.

Really ****** off as until that !Removed! clutch went the car had been faultless in the 40k I have drove it in the last 20 months. Oh and it needs another couple of those extortionate !Removed! tyres and they want £50-00 per tyre to fit as cannot find any independents with the equipment.

Cheers

den

what the fuel rail pressure like? could be suction control valve beginning to fail

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links