Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flooded Spare Wheel Well In Boot

GavRav4

Hi guys, anyone else's mk1 Yaris (my wife's is a 2003 model) have a problem with a leaky boot? Had to use the spare today to find the spare wheel was practically swimming in that well. Luckily there was a plug in the bottom of the well so was able to drain it but surely it's not meant to flood like that. There was about an inch of water in it!

I've got the same problem Gavin. One solution is to mastic sealant the light clusters to the car as the foam seal at the back of the clusters can fail. behind the lights in the boot are plastic covers, pop these off and the light cluster is held on by one nut. Make sure they're bone dry before applying the mastic and carefully putting them back on. You can still change the bulbs from inside the boot.

I did that about a year ago when I first noticed the issue but I don't think it's the source of the leak as it's still going on, I'm wondering if it could be the sunroof drainage channels, does anyone know where they come out?

I'm wondering if it could be the sunroof drainage channels, does anyone know where they come out?

Pour some water into them and find out.

I have the same problem on my 54 plate Avensis. Maybe a common issue from those years?

I'm fairly sure that mines coming from the rear light cluster judging by the lines of water coming from under the lights.

We had this issue in our 2001 Yaris once, was rear lights related, although I can't remember exactly what, but was easy enough to fix.

• 4 weeks later...

I had water in the spare wheel well, in my 2002 model. I removed the rear light clusters, pulled off the soggy seals and applied a generous amount of clear sealant before re-fitting. I've had no more water in the boot, or condensation inside.

Yeah my 51 plate Yaris was the same did it nearly 6 years ago and still dry! I also had a 07 plate Auris and that was the same fixed by Mr T under warranty lights and vent both sides.

• 4 years later...

I have exactly same problem with my Toyota yaris 2004. I couldn't for the life of me understand where the water is getting in from until reading this post. Will try the clear sealant trick around the back of the lights!

Edited by Jammo

5 minutes ago, Jammo said:

I have exactly same problem with my Toyota yaris 2004. I can't for the life of me understand where the water is getting in from.

Most likely the rear lamp seals, replace the seals or silicone seal them

Possibly the vents behind the bumper are letting water in 

It definitely comes from under the black strips on the roof. The paint is cracked and water comes in and into the boot. Cover it with rubber seal then mount the strips again and it’s solved.

• Like 1