Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flickering Dashboard - No Key In Ignition

MissRedders

Yaris SR, 11 reg, 23,000 mileage

Recently i notice my dashboard started flickering every now again after the engine is switched off, or without the key being in the ignition. Sometimes it stops flickering over night.

the AA looked at it, but couldnt find any faults, restarted the Battery but with no joy. He said he had never come a cross it before but could be to do with the electrical side.

i phoned up toyota and explained the situation but they havent come across it either, asked me to take it in first thing in the morning but will cost me £95, which i wasnt too keen on paying. the next morning, i noticed the dashboard stopped flickering so i called toyota to cancel the appointment and left it as that, it was back to normal until 4-6 wks later, it started flickering again, it has been doing it a few times now this month.

i went to my local garage and showed him the video i recorded of my dashboard and he said the person who might have an answer was not in, but after finding out the age of my car and my low mileage he advised me to take it to Toyota, as they must look at it without charge and could still be under warranty.

so i took his advise i drove straight to Toyota and showed the staff the video he said another customer had the same issue 3 weeks ago (which is now resolved), he said he has been working for Toyota for 10yrs and have not come across it before.

So now i have booked in to have my car fixed! (and yes it is still under Warranty,just! phew)

in 2015 (jan) i had a winter check with Toyota and they discovered an oil leak by the engine oil, and they said its a known fault (but will not be recalling those cars that are affected), so one of the parts had to be replaced. If i hadnt had a winter check, and later find out this problem it would have cost me £000's to replace as i would have been out of warranty.

later in 2015, i received a letter from Driving & Vehicle Standards Agency about a recall

something about the Drivers airbag inflator, but i was to wait for another letter to confirm when to return my car for modification.

it makes me think... are Toyota still a reliable car to drive? are any other make any better?

i bought this car in 2013 (second hand), i cannot believe i had so many issues with it, i did not think i would since it was a newish car, with a very low mileage!!

As fasr as the flickering dash lights issue is concerned, it seems to be a common problem these days. If you do a quick Google you'll find all kinds of cars affected, everything from bad connections and components to cracked circuit boards etc. There's so many electrics and electronics on modern cars and so much downward pressure on supplier prices it's just a fact of life.

post-140480-0-14031700-1453057565_thumb.

Toyota are very proactive as regards recalls, more so than some other manufacturers.

The airbag recall is to do with the airbag manufacturer, Takata, and isn't just confined to Toyota. So far with the Takata airbag recalls over 53 million vehicles have been recalled globally involving at least 11 vehicle manufacturers - including Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, BMW, Honda, Ford, Fiat, Chrysler, General Motors, Subaru, and Mitsubishi.

As regards official recalls which are co-managed by DVSA and the vehicle manufacturer, these only occur where the issue is safety related. An oil leak would not usually affect the safety of a vehicle.

Having said that, most vehicle manufacturers have something like a service bulletin system in place where non-safety related known issues are picked up and addressed as part of the service regime that vehicles are subject to. Your oil leak, even if it had not been picked up during your winter health check, may well have been picked up and remedied at the next service, especially as it was a known issue.

• Like 1

As fasr as the flickering dash lights issue is concerned, it seems to be a common problem these days. If you do a quick Google you'll find all kinds of cars affected, everything from bad connections and components to cracked circuit boards etc. There's so many electrics and electronics on modern cars and so much downward pressure on supplier prices it's just a fact of life.

attachicon.gifFlickering dash lights.png

Thanks, i did google to find what is causing it but the symptoms is not the same of what is doing to mine, some are reporting they can no longer start the engine or their headlights flashing, or it flickers when engine is running. but mine does not flicker when the engine is running, it flickers when the engine is turned off. and its not all the time, its intermittent. i would say its once every week now. it stops flickering over night.

i will get more info from Toyota when i take it in, they didnt get into much detail as they dont know much themselves and it is the only the second car that have reported the same symptoms at their place.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, I know its an old post, but did the original poster manage to fix this dashboard light flickering problem?

I seem to recall that there was a TCB for flickering dashes - Devon Aygo will know.

Isn't this problem due to the 'ECO run module' which I believe is easy to replace. Its cropped up on the forum several times with regard to Auris and Yaris 1.33L engines. 

There is a Technical service bulletin from Toyota that sounds possible:

BE-0070T-0514

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report that the lights of their combination meter start to flash after the ignition is switched to OFF.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The ECO RUN Converter assy* has been improved.

REPAIR PROCEDURE Replace the ECO RUN Converter according to the Repair Manual

Repair part for your Yaris is:

G92C0-52050 - ECO run converter

90159-50385 - Screw x2

F1334-52020 - Bracket

hey guys, i got it sorted last year had to take it back couple times though as the first visit started doing it again not long after they said they had fixed it. Second time i took it back they told me they needed to replace something but i cant remember what. i bought an extended warranty so it covered the cost of the replacement. i dont think i would have paid it since ive raised it within warranty and they hadnt fixed it the first time round.

thanks for the information.

3 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

There is a Technical service bulletin from Toyota that sounds possible:

BE-0070T-0514

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report that the lights of their combination meter start to flash after the ignition is switched to OFF.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The ECO RUN Converter assy* has been improved.

REPAIR PROCEDURE Replace the ECO RUN Converter according to the Repair Manual

Repair part for your Yaris is:

G92C0-52050 - ECO run converter

90159-50385 - Screw x2

F1334-52020 - Bracket

thanks for that, 

would this stop the eco (stop start) function from not working either? I may just bite the bullet and buy a new eco run converter as thats what it seems to be pointing towards...

• 4 years later...

i got it sorted recently 😆 just gave some hard knocks on the dash board and it was ok. So far issue dint pop up. Give it a try n see. Success.