Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 2.0 D4D Cold Starting Problem

Grahamwalt

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble starting my 2006 corolla diesel when its cold, it turns over for approx 10-20 seconds before firing while engine is turning over its like its just on the point of firing but won't until eventually it does. So first thing I done was to check heater plugs, found one faulty so put a set in. Still no better so changed Battery as it wasn't turning over very fast. Check and cleaned fuel sender unit in tank also changed fuel filter (genuine Toyota filter). Still made no difference, after trawling the net found many similar cases where the suction control valve has faulted so if changed that at a cost of £80, no better. I'm now wondering if I've got a problem with the engine temperature sensor? Does anyone know exactly where about on the engine it is and what the parameters are so I can check the resistance in a pan of hot water? Does anyone have any other ideas on what the fault maybe?

Thanks

Graham

I'm totally ignorant of the diesel engine in your Toyota, but I've run diesel Citroens for 30 years, and my first action would have been exactly as you have done, namely check/replace the glowplugs. My next action would be to put a voltmeter on the glowplugs feed, and check that they're getting voltage on start up. This would check whether their control unit was OK (they must have a relay, probably with timer circuitry?).

Yes sorry should have said ive had my test light on and they are getting a feed.

Thanks

Hi Graham,

One thing worth doing would be to check and clean the EGR valve, located just below the pipe leaving the turbo that comes over the cam cover and down towards the intercooler.

Had a family members car struggling to start and sometimes even draining a well charged, new Battery it found it that difficult. There weren't any fault codes stored/lights on either. What it seems to of been is that the plunger mechanism inside of this valve wasnt fully closing when it should of been; due to excess soot and gunk buildup, meaning partially combusted exhaust gas at a relatively cold tempertaure was entering the cylinders at start up and over fuelling and cooling the cylinders beyond a point where the engine could fire. After the 30 seconds + in her case it finally came to life having warmed up enough from all the cranking.

Took of the valve and cleaned using a can of carb cleaner, a toothbrush and a screwdriver to work the plunger inside. Took around an hour and a half in all and solved the problem for me.

By no means am I saying this is your issue but its a possibility from experience. If I can help you further please let me know👍

It is worth triggering the glow plugs a few times before trying to start the car; I normally light them up 2-3 times before trying to crank the engine.

Older Corollas with the 1CD-series engines have a known issue with the starter motor having trouble starting, but only when the engine is hot. Still, might be worth checking in your case even tho' this is the opposite problem :lol:

Thanks to you both for your help if tried cleaning the EGR valve out and I was expecting it to be bad but it was surprisingly clean. I made sure the valve was free and gave it some lubrication. I've also tried giving it 3 - 4 heats but neither have made any difference. The last couple of days now the weather has warmed up its been starting ok so its definitely temperature related. Gonna try swapping the relay for the heater plugs as martin said see if this makes a difference. I would really like to find the location of the engine temperature sensor? as ive got one to try in.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links