Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Tourer T27 Front Brake Pad And Disc Replacement

doggy

Big mileage is the main reason a car that runs on tractor juice adorns my driveway. With big mileage, service intervals come around quicker and more items become consumables. I knew the front pads were on the way out and I had just gotten Toyota to put rear discs and pads on, so it made sense to take the opportunity to do the front discs also. After nearly 6 years on the car, the discs were in need of replacing, and the pads were shot. The consumables list grows.....here's how I made the Daddymobile stop on a nickel and give a dime change.

First job, jack up and secure on axle stands. Jacks fail, seals fail, life's too short to be injuring yourself so take your time. Once the wheels are off, this was the sight that greeted me:
1.jpg
First tip is to use a spanner on the flat as when just using the socket to undo the calliper sliders, it will just rotate until the spanner holds it to break the bolt. I think the slider was 17mm and the spanner flat was 19mm, but open to correction on that. Go carefully you don't want to round off anything.2.jpg
Here's a better picture of the flat for the spanner.
3.jpg
Once the calliper bolts are out, put them away safe, and remove the calliper, hanging it somewhere out of the way to prevent strain on the flexible brake lines. I hung them on the strut, as below.
5.jpg
Which leaves this. Discs have seen better days and pads haven't much left. Not before time then.
4.jpg
So pry the pads off with a screwdriver, along with the little clips (don't break these). The caliper piston will have travelled to take up the worn pads, so it needs to be pushed back. Minor panic set in here as I don't have a wind-back tool but I didn't need it and my G-clamp did the trick, winding it back slowly after a bit of a clean with degreaser and brake cleaner.
6.jpg
Now the rest of the caviller holder must be removed to get the disc off. So undo the two bolts (19 or 21mm something like that), and give the disc a few pucks with a hammer, taking care not to hit anything important (Studs, etc.) When it comes loose, apply brake cleaner liberally to clean everything up and use a wire brush also.

7.jpg
Now it's time for some Mintex goodness and Ferodo pads, noting the copper grease to prevent squealing (there were no anti-squal shims on the old pads so lots of grease needed.
8.jpg
Side on view looks like this:
9.jpg
Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly, bleed the brake fluid and torque up the bolts before test drive to bed in.

Great write up and photos as well, your post is going to be a good guide for future owners. Sensible choice of Ferodo pads, I use them myself.

Looking at your discs, considering what you said about 6 years with high annual mileage, they didn’t look all that bad. I can see the wear grooves but did you measure them for thickness by any chance? Rust around the outer rim usually responds well to a chipping hammer!

A couple of minor points though, a bit liberal there with the copper grease on the pads methinks. Also I don’t put copper grease on the hub radius any more where the alloy wheel mounts, you can still get dissimilar metal corrosion. I prefer using an inert lithium grease.

Excellent photos.

Because grease in general terms is bad news around brake assemblies, I only use a rather miserly amount of copper grease on the backs of the pads (& much less than in photos).

However, although I agree with Tom's comments about dissimilar metals, I've always smeared the hub & alloy wheel interface quite liberally with copper grease, with no adverse reaction over the years to date.

Thanks for the comments. You're right about the chipping hammer, I had got a good deal on discs and I hadn't time to take them off the car and get machined etc. so i went with the replace option. The extra grease was to compensate for lack of anti-squeal shims. Good point on the dissimilar metal corrosion. To be honest, it was heading for about 2degC, the weather was closing in and I still needed to jack up the rears, get them on axle stands, bleed and torque all corners! Pet hate of mine is not greasing wheels and leaves you needing a sledgehammer if anything goes wrong on the side of the road.