Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Runflats On A T180

Ogster

Chaps

I would care to change out the horrible runflats on my 2008 T180 for normal tyres.

I believe you can simply grind through the reinforcement steel band and fit normal tyres without affecting the tyre pressure sensors in the valves.

Can someone please confirm this. No-one in my area has the "special machine" required to pull them off without damage.

Cheers

Mark

Yes. Though I haven't done so personally, several folk have reported cutting away the support ring and if done carefully to avoid damage the pressure sensors will continue to function as before.

A Toyota dealer should be able to find a machine to remove them ... after all Toyota fitted them in the first place!

Philip

Thanks for this. Since found out that a reasonably local Toyota dealer has the special machine and charges 25 notes a corner to remove the bands properly - provided I buy the tyres from him. Seems fair enough, so that is the route I will go. What I would like to do is refurbish the rims by powder coating the wheels. This involves an oven. Therefore, can the valve sensors/transponders for the TP warning system be removed from the rims easily enough?

Hi Philip

Just some hopeful words of my experience re tyres from a Toyota main dealer. As they do free punctures i took a tyre and wheel in to get a puncture repaired , they were very professional and showed me the screw had gone in the 'corner' or the tyre so I needed a new one and was quoted £125.00 fully fitted and balanced. I phoned my local tyre place and they only wanted £102.00 for exactly the same tyre so Toyota price matched the price saving me £23 so in your case you could save close to £100.00 if you find out before hand what your local tyre dealer will supply the like for like tyres for.

Incidentally I have read posts like yours before, some people just grind off/cut through the ring but of course you must not damage the rim.

Mike.

Chaps

Interstingly the alternative of simply buying new rims is a possible alternative. Removal of steel bands for 4 wheels is £100 and powder coating each at £65 gives a total of £360. New rims are not far off that price........and it saves a good deal of hassle. In addition if I buy the rims and tyres from the same supplier, there is a considerable saving to be had there.

The only issue is running without tyre pressure sensors - which is not a big deal.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark.

If I were you just check with your insurance company before you buy alternative wheels, you may find they will put your premium up or if you don't tell them and unfortunately need to make a claim you may find because the car is 'non standard' they won't pay out.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine removed the tyre pressure sensors work fine with normal tyres.

i rang my insurance and there was no increase in premium either.

the car drives a lot better now and it's worth doing I have had a puncture once and it was a lot easier than having the car taken to Toyota as an Indy garage sorted a replacement

Awful runcraps removed on the rears and rings removed. Replaced with "normal" Hankooks. Do not know what ride is like as I am refurbishing the rims at present, but judging by the size and thickness of the steel rings, I can fully understand why the ride was so harsh beforehand. Fronts next........

12 minutes ago, Ogster said:

Awful runcraps removed on the rears and rings removed. Replaced with "normal" Hankooks. Do not know what ride is like as I am refurbishing the rims at present, but judging by the size and thickness of the steel rings, I can fully understand why the ride was so harsh beforehand. Fronts next........

Can I just ask if you don't mind how much is it costing you to refurb the alloys?

i am thinking of getting mine done too.

4 minutes ago, yaris781 said:

Can I just ask if you don't mind how much is it costing you to refurb the alloys?

There are several methods I considered

Remove tyres and pressure sensors, get contractor to blast and powder coat, replace tyres and sensors....£90 per wheel. Naturally you have to jack car up properly and leave it for a few days.

Take car to local alloy wheel refurbishers. He would have redone the face of the wheel only....£60 per wheel. No requirement to remove tyre or jack car up of course.

Replace with new Toyota rim - pricey. Best I found was 130 each......

Replace with new aftermarket rims. Decent ones about £450 for 4

I chose DIY...I had all the paint required, and the wheels were off the car anyways. Besides which, it was only the rears that required attention. The secret is good preparation, plenty of advice on the web. £0 per wheel for parts, but it did take an entire weekend for 2 wheels.

46 minutes ago, Ogster said:

There are several methods I considered

Remove tyres and pressure sensors, get contractor to blast and powder coat, replace tyres and sensors....£90 per wheel. Naturally you have to jack car up properly and leave it for a few days.

Take car to local alloy wheel refurbishers. He would have redone the face of the wheel only....£60 per wheel. No requirement to remove tyre or jack car up of course.

Replace with new Toyota rim - pricey. Best I found was 130 each......

Replace with new aftermarket rims. Decent ones about £450 for 4

I chose DIY...I had all the paint required, and the wheels were off the car anyways. Besides which, it was only the rears that required attention. The secret is good preparation, plenty of advice on the web. £0 per wheel for parts, but it did take an entire weekend for 2 wheels.

Thanks for that 

I wouldn't be able to do them myself and to be honest the prices aren't too bad.

let us know what you think of the drive on the car once you've had all the dreaded RF's replaced