Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg

nevica

40 minutes ago, Mark_P said:

I had the car Terracleaned this morning, I went for the big cans and that came to 120 quid.  Took over an hour to run both cans through the engine. I could tell the difference almost straight away on the main roads.  Once i hit the motorway, the car felt smoother and more responsive until I hit some very strong headwinds :)

I am doing a long drive to Norwich tomorrow, this will be the test to see if the fuel economy is better.

Good luck on your long journey Mark. I bet, with your mpg success so far, you will be surprised by the mpg. When I first drove the car after its engine clean, I wondered if it was what people call the Placebo effect, until my wife drove it and told me that it was worth the money. She also said that the car felt as good to drive -bearing in mind it's only the 1.0 manual- as it was when we got it. High praise that is from my wife, telling me that money I spent was worth it. BTW, she is not an Ogre, just doesn't like spending more than necessary on the car. As for the car being more responsive, I have found that it 'feels' faster than it did. One last thing, keep a check on those tyre pressures. Due to an oversight on my part I forgot to check the pressures and due to this lovely weather the dust caps got stuck fast. I usually put some copper paste on the valves to stop the metal dust caps 'seating' themselves. In my efforts to remove the last one -only the rear got stuck- I damaged the valve and had to get it replaced. I was treated very well at the dealers too -we were out that way so called in- and it was fixed pronto. Afterwards, got the pressures checked and front two were lowest at around twenty eight and twenty nine Psi. I am ashamed to say I have never let them get that low before. Now I know why the latest mpg was not as good as just after the TerraClean. As Popeye might have said, 'Ya lives and Ya learn.'

Hey Bob,

I check my tyre pressure on a regular basis, I have these valve caps fitted which let me know when the pressure starts to drop so I can top it up again.  I've be upping the pressure before tomorrows road trip.

I'm looking to do more modifications including getting Einstein remapped at the same place I had the Terraclean done. I'll be putting the wife's mazda 323f in for a Terraclean as that is nearing 100k on the clock.

Just got back from Norwich and consensus is NEVER let the wife drive for a few hours as she doesn't understand speed limits or how to drive economically even on the motorway.

:(

3 hours ago, Mark_P said:

Just got back from Norwich and consensus is NEVER let the wife drive for a few hours as she doesn't understand speed limits or how to drive economically even on the motorway.

:(

:laugh:

Aye they need to understand it's a man's seat.

Scottish Stool.JPG

• 1 month later...

Fuel-up Added - 51.6 UK MPG, Details: MPG: 43.0 / UK MPG: 51.6 mi/L: 11.4, Miles: 228.6, Litres: 20.13, Price: £1.02/Litre, Total: £20.51

This has to be the worst ever MPG for our car and I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is this bad. Topped up today at Morrison's in Newtown, Powys, and checked the tyre pressures. Most required was 2psi in left rear, didn't think that small an amount would make such a huge difference, if it is the cause. Average MPG shown on computer was a lot higher. Wondering if the cars computer has gone haywire or Fuelly has. BTW, I went haywire years ago. :wink:

On 07/02/2016 at 8:55 PM, TomdeGuerre said:

Aye they need to understand it's a man's seat.

Scottish Stool.JPG

Love the seat, looks like something Peter Griffin would love from Family Guy. Of course, it would need to be wider. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

At last, a better fuel up. It has recently gone down as low as 53mpg, but pleased it is on the way back up, and will hopefully continue that rise as the weather improves.

Fuel-up Added, 61.7 UK MPG, Details, MPG: 51.4 / UK MPG: 61.7, mi/L: 13.6, Miles: 203.6, Litres: 14.99, Price: £1.01/Litre, Total: £15.12

On 31/03/2016 at 5:54 PM, bob809 said:

Fuel-up Added, 61.7 UK MPG, Details, MPG: 51.4 / UK MPG: 61.7, mi/L: 13.6, Miles: 203.6, Litres: 14.99, Price: £1.01/Litre, Total: £15.12

How do you get so many MPG !!!!

How many miles has your car done and also what's your limit on Revs before you change gear?

I am struggling to see 40MPG out of mine. (but it has done 170000miles)

That's !Removed! good; Getting near to my Yaris! :eek:

But mine's creeping up too as the weather improves... :biggrin:

19 minutes ago, Adam Evans said:

How do you get so many MPG !!!!

How many miles has your car done and also what's your limit on Revs before you change gear?

I am struggling to see 40MPG out of mine. (but it has done 170000miles)

Hi Adam, As I said in my post, it has been as low as 53mpg. Our iQ is the 1.0 manual, 59 plate. I recently had it Terra-Cleaned (see other posts of mine). I also check the tyre pressures regular, like Mark (above) and I expect everyone else. I make a note of my mileage when filling up and enter the details on the Fuelly web site so I can tell how good/bad the car is doing on economy. Also, as stated by many on this forum, there are lots of other factors that affect the mpg. One person in the car, two, three on a blue moon. Shopping or other heavy stuff in the car... the weather... I was pleased to see it back in the higher figures, as last year we did very well, showing close to, on and just over 60mpg a lot. Our car had the computer changed -so it could read over 60mpg- so the mileage was reset, but at our last fuel up it showed 40,291 miles, and before it was changed it was somewhere in the region of 27,000 = 67291 approximately. As for the revs, I usually change up/down just as the arrow on the dash lights up. We have had the car for almost 4 years now and are used to the 'sounds' and feel of it. Sometimes I ignore the change light as common sense prevails when to change gear. I stick to the speed limit as much as possible -with the exception of overtaking- and sometimes creep a little over the 60 or 70 limit, but not often. I accelerate gently but not slowly, or harshly unless I feel a need for speed! I don't brake too soon for junctions or roundabouts, corners etc, and as I look well ahead of where I am going -easier when you know the roads too- I anticipate having to stop or slow as necessary. Al this just to get a few more mpg, but I guess it's worth it as the car is meant for eco-driving, not razzing the R-se off it like I used to with my old Cavalier 2000 GSi.

Maybe try and get the car Terra-Cleaned -look it up on Google- as it is a good way of breathing new life into an old engine, no matter how well it has been looked after. You will likely see more benefit than I did with that sort of mileage. It isn't cheap, but cheaper than replacing some parts in the engine chain (as in, exhaust, catalyser, engine innards, fuel injectors and so on. Ask Mark where he had his car Terracleaned, he's in Merseyside too, well, Liverpool; same thing to me as I never lived there.

So my car has done almost 3 times the mileage of yours, so I can expect to not get anywhere near the MPG you get.

Do feel that the Terraclean worked ?

Do you need to change your profile from the Sera to the IQ?

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's !Removed! good; Getting near to my Yaris! :eek:

But mine's creeping up too as the weather improves... :biggrin:

Yeah, I think the weather has an awful lot to do with our car economy. Reliable -good- weather would make it far easier to do good mpg.

10 hours ago, Adam Evans said:

So my car has done almost 3 times the mileage of yours, so I can expect to not get anywhere near the MPG you get. Do feel that the Terraclean worked ?

If your car has been maintained well, then aside from wear and tear issues, it should be fine. I want to keep my iQ until I can afford a BMW i3 (or an i8, I'm not fussy), so maintenance is important to reach that goal.

The Terraclean worked. At first it was very noticeable, better and smoother acceleration. It still vibrates (being a 1.0 manual) and has the same issues as before, except it now does normal better. If you do a little research on it (there's not much that I had to read before I was convinced it works) you will see that for the price (and only time will truly tell) it is worth it. It just doesn't clean the engine insides, but everything connected to the whole system through the fuel intake to the emissions, cleans the lot. It's like a colon-oscopy for your car.

I have put this link in before, but here it is again- LINK

Caned mine quite hard last week,ran around  80 to coventry and back, returned 48.2 over the 4 days.back to a 65 cruise this week I reckon

On 04/04/2016 at 8:12 PM, atkiman said:

Caned mine quite hard last week,ran around  80 to coventry and back, returned 48.2 over the 4 days.back to a 65 cruise this week I reckon

Well Tony, that is pretty good considering your journey, and my latest MPG figures make for dire reading, especially in light of my last fuel up at 61mpg -see below. This is the lowest of the low from our car.

Latest Fuel-up Added- 49.5 UK MPG, Details: MPG: 41.2 / UK MPG: 49.5, mi/L: 10.9, Miles: 159.7, Litres: 14.68, Price: £1.04/Litre, Total: £15.25. That was from today, filled up at Morrison's in Newtown.

Soon shows, this week not so pushed at work, 65 cruise =53 mpg. Not doing bad for a motor on 92500 mls really, has never missed a beat.

Just got my best mpg ever. Drove from home (Oldham) to London Heathrow Terminal 5, parked up for a week in Prague and drove back today all on one tank full.423 mile round trip using 6.544 gallons (29.75 liters) returning 64.6 mpg. Stuck to 60 most of the way, my wife and I with cabin baggage and hand luggage each.

12 hours ago, Soeley said:

Just got my best mpg ever. Drove from home (Oldham) to London Heathrow Terminal 5, parked up for a week in Prague and drove back today all on one tank full.423 mile round trip using 6.544 gallons (29.75 liters) returning 64.6 mpg. Stuck to 60 most of the way, my wife and I with cabin baggage and hand luggage each.

That is amazing, for the 1.3. Makes you feel good I think, getting that sort of mpg. Was it easy sticking to 60mpg? I often stick to that speed on the A5 dual carriageway near to us. Mainly as people can overtake easily enough.

Before I got this car we had a Mondeo, that at it's best could only do 32mpg! Also, the one before that, my favourite car, the 2000 GSi Cavalier (designed to be driven quickly, and I often did), I once saw 40mpg on the computer, whilst on the motorway at 70mph. Now, I get a little puzzled at the paltry 49.5mpg recorded last time. Our iQ's are certainly quirky.

Yes Bob, I am very happy with that. Not a problem sticking to 60. Going to Heathrow we were in no rush, set off just after lunch time and had a couple of stops along the way. We didn't have anything to do once we got there apart from have tea, so there was no point rushing. same with coming home, checked out at about 10:00 and in no rush to get home (as in we didn't have to be there for a set time).

I'm finally getting my stats back in order after a few fuel ups.

I've changed jobs and I'm doing a bit more motorway driving, I initially was doing country roads to the new job but have found it just as economic to do the motorway tootling along at 60MPH.

My last fuel-ups are:

April 3rd - 57.09 MPG (427 Miles)

March 19th - 49.47MPG (370 Miles)

March 7th - 53.90 MPG (332 Miles)

Feb 26th - 56.16 MPG (405 Miles)

There are many other things I want to do to boost the MPG of the car but it all depends on whether I want to spend more money to get those little extra gains.

As previously mentioned by Bob and others, gentle acceleration when pulling off will help, I usually drive with the AVG MPG status on as I use it as a challenge to keep it on or above 57MPG.  I do try to use the gears for engine braking as well when approaching lights and crawl up to the lights in 1st.  I do try to remember to turn off the engine if I'm going to be stationary for more than 20-30 seconds when at the lights as well.

I'm due an oil change and I will be asking the garage to use 0W20 instead of the 5W30 they used last time. 

Mark

On 10/04/2016 at 10:40 AM, Soeley said:

Yes Bob, I am very happy with that. Not a problem sticking to 60. Going to Heathrow we were in no rush, set off just after lunch time and had a couple of stops along the way. We didn't have anything to do once we got there apart from have tea, so there was no point rushing. same with coming home, checked out at about 10:00 and in no rush to get home (as in we didn't have to be there for a set time).

Sounds good. Last time I went through Heathrow I had to take my time, as my wife and I had two elderly friends with us. Still, we managed to get a ride on one of those carts you see and wish you could get on to the departure gate. I've never really liked Heathrow as a travel hub. Now Gatwick was much better. Stopped in the airport hotel overnight for an early flight and much better on the nerves. No stress about being stuck in traffic and missing the flight, nice breakfast waiting for you, transport laid on to the ticket desk etc. That, and business or first class is the way to travel. :cool:

On 10/04/2016 at 10:53 AM, Mark_P said:

I'm finally getting my stats back in order after a few fuel ups. I've changed jobs and I'm doing a bit more motorway driving, I initially was doing country roads to the new job but have found it just as economic to do the motorway tootling along at 60MPH.

My last fuel-ups are: April 3rd - 57.09 MPG (427 Miles) - March 19th - 49.47MPG (370 Miles) - March 7th - 53.90 MPG (332 Miles) - Feb 26th - 56.16 MPG (405 Miles).

There are many other things I want to do to boost the MPG of the car but it all depends on whether I want to spend more money to get those little extra gains. As previously mentioned by Bob and others, gentle acceleration when pulling off will help, I usually drive with the AVG MPG status on as I use it as a challenge to keep it on or above 57MPG.  I do try to use the gears for engine braking as well when approaching lights and crawl up to the lights in 1st.  I do try to remember to turn off the engine if I'm going to be stationary for more than 20-30 seconds when at the lights as well. I'm due an oil change and I will be asking the garage to use 0W20 instead of the 5W30 they used last time. 

Mark

So Mark, looks like your figures are up and down too. I wonder if the 'EYES' on this site can find a way to provide -even if it's via input from us lot- a list of ways to make economy motoring in our iQ's easier to achieve? Kind of like a check list for those of us who want the best mpg from them. Short of only ever travelling in the car on your own, ripping out everything that (weighs too much) is not required... not practical I know. Anyway, some ideas in a list format would be good. Perhaps if we all had a think -or again, anyone that wants to- and write down our thoughts in another thread for the purpose.

Hello guy may i ask whats this Terra Clean all about? Is it a must for the engine? I have never heard of it in my country maybe it dosent even exists what does it help you achieve? Consumption? Performance? How much will it cost? Any other alternatives?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links