Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check Parking Brake System

stumpyj

Hi everyone

2010 Toyota Avensis 2.o D estate

I've had an intermittent fault with my Electronic Parking Brake for some time now.

Especially during periods of extended wet weather a warning light would flash up saying "parking brake inoperable" and the parking brake wouldnt respond whilst the engine was running. Once I'd switch off and then on, the EPB would work fine for either hours, days or weeks.

I decided to replace the part as surrey electronics had done an investigation into the brake actuator and discovered that moisture was getting into the actutator via the bowden cable used for the manual release http://www.surreyelectronics.com/leaflets/TOYOTA%20AVENSIS%20ELECTRONIC%20PARKING%20BRAKE%20SYSTEM.pdf .

Part 46300-05010 has now been taken out of service (funny that!!) and replaced with 46300-05011. I sourced this part and had it fitted by my friend at his garage today. It was also serviced and MOT'd.

The swap over was done, passed it MOT with no advisories. However there is a message saying "check parking brake system". The EPB works was perfectly. My friend said that the discs and pads were great and the brakes perfectly balanced, so there is no reason for the message. He also said that there was no error messages when he hooked it up to the computer.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm really hacked off as I love the car but this issue is getting me down. My friend says that it must be the switch as everything else works perfectly.

Thanks for any help you might give

Stumpyj

There are several procedures which must be followed when replacing an EPB Actuator:

Before removal the EPB must be set to " Full release mode" then

After installation "Full release mode" must be switched off, then

Clearance between pad & disc must be adjusted, then

EPB ECU memory has to be reset then the Clutch/Brake pedal stroke sensors and Yaw rate sensor require zero point calibration.

Failure to complete any or all of the above will result in an EPB error message.

thank you so much for the reply.

My next question is how do I do that now the actuator has been fitted?

My garage isnt a toyota dealership but has all the usual equipment. Or is it a visit to the dealer?

thanks for your help and patience.

hi guys just a quick update.

My friends diagnostic computer couldn't initiate the EPB actuator so I called Toyota. 2 hours "labour" at £76 + vat. And they said as another garage fitted it they cant guarantee that they will be able to initiate the unit.

Its going in next Thursday so i will report back. 

Whats annoying is that effectively im paying for a message to be erased as the unit works perfectly

You think it works perfectly, all you need to do now is convince the car that you are right 😁

I thought I'd give everyone a laugh/update on the parking brake saga.

Got the car back from the dealership. Even though they acknowledge that the brake is working perfectly, they were unable to calibrate the system and therefore couldnt remove the message on the dash. They confirmed hat it was the correct part etc.

They did wash and clean the car though, so for £136 + vat it seems like a bargain!

They recommended that I replace the working actuator with a brand new one for £1700. Bargain.

Surely there must be an auto electrician out there that can remove the error message or calibrate the system. I;m in Scotland but would travel.

£1,700 for a new handbrake actuator! That's ridiculous for a family car, no wonder people don't like them.

They had it for two hours which I'd have thought was long enough to go through all the stages Devon Aygo posted. and at £136 + VAT I don't suppose you'd have complained if it had fixed the problem but you're no further forward. Only thing I can suggest if you contact Surrey Electronics and ask them if they've got any ideas. Best of luck mate, Ah feel for ye.

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed, is that some dealerships don't seem to know things that others dealers, members of the forum are aware of. The OP could go to another dealer who knows how to clear the fault code. 

I had my rear brakes changed, and after initial flashing EPB light, cleared by engaging and disengaging the EPB, pumping and holding down the brake pedal and switching on the off the engine. It has been fine since.

Maybe this non-technical way may work. You never know.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He comes this weeks update!!

I took the car to a recommended auto electrician and unfortunately he wasnt able to remove the error code.

He did confirm that the EPB was working correctly. The error codes are;

C1346 Zero Calibration of clutch stroke sensor undone current

C1336 Zero point calibration of G sensor undone current

C1203 Vehicle information mismatch current.

What he said was that the ecu would not accept the EPB.

Ive noticed that the change indicator on the rev counter doesnt illuminate now and the whilst the cruise control light comes on when activated, it doesnt work now.

Thought I'd give you all a laugh!

At least he didnt charge me.

Stumpy

I know it's a different car, but last year my brother had a problem with his Renault Grand Scenic. The cruise control would not work and before that, the brake lights would not come on! The brake pedal switch was replaced which cured the brake lights, but no still cruise control. My brother took the car in for service and asked them to check the problem. They adjusted the switch which fixed the cruise control.

The point is that your car has something out of adjustment or a faulty switch. The auto electrician can only do so much. A top Toyota technician who knows the system could pin down the actual fault. Does the EPB auto release when the clutch pedal is near or on biting point? If not then the clutch switch is at fault. It is a guess but could be that simple.

Let's see how far it goes before the fault is fixed.   

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe worth noting:

I had my EPB actuator replaced a couple of years ago, just before the warranty ran out. It was a preventive replacement because the thing sounded as if it would snap soon and would have been very expensive to replace after the warranty period.

It took my dealership 1.5 days to replace it and find out that the ECU needed an update as well, in order to recognize the revised part number of the EPB actuator, and not display error messages that had nothing to do with it.

I wonder if independent garages can get hold of Toyota's ECU software...

• 3 years later...

Automatic hand brake comes on when engine switched off.

Avensis tourer  just out of warranty, last month, parked took out keys and went into club.came back 5 minutes later car gone.

Found brake had not worked and car had rolled down hill into new toyota.

Not very happy

Berni

If it had been left in gear (or park if automatic) it wouldn't have rolled:

If you park on a hill or slope you should

• park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly
  • select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill
  • select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill
  • use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox.
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 4:19 PM, Danny Ber said:

Automatic hand brake comes on when engine switched off.

Avensis tourer  just out of warranty, last month, parked took out keys and went into club.came back 5 minutes later car gone.

Found brake had not worked and car had rolled down hill into new toyota.

Not very happy

Berni

I wonder if the sliders are seized or the the brakes were hot? When the discs are hot then cool down, they may shrink enough for the pads to not enough clamping force. Also looks at the cables and linkage. I have noticed that the EPB unit itself is not really the cause of any faults, but other parts or systems linked to it. 

No matter what type of parking brake (electric or handbrake), I do as Mike suggests when on inclines and leave the car in gear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links