Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clunking From Nearside Front (Wheel?)

DeclanCorollaD-4D

Hi all,

Corolla's got a clunk coming from the nearside front wheel it seems, more prominent over the less severe bumps in the road actually rather than speed humps etc. Sounds similar to a worn roll bar link but had both sides replaced no more than 6,000 miles ago so seems unlikely to me.

Also accompanied by a sort of metal scuffing sound when cornering sharply right at 20 ish + mph; although that noise was there long before the clunk and hasnt seemed to cause any problems.

There's a slight pull to the left and the steering feels a little sloppy (The latter expected from a 215,000 mile car though!) Thought maybe a ball joint but I'm not sure.. Any light shed appreciated.

Sloppy steering and a knock does make one think of track rod ends worn out.

But it could be any of the suspension,steering,or driveshft joints, if testing the joints is not your thing then you need to get a garage to check it over, should only take under 30 mins to give it a good going over so the cost should be low, or even zero if you let them repair it.

Have you replaced the brake pads recently ? a bad brake pad 'rattle' can also sound like the suspensions coming apart.

Cheers mate, Its a good point really that it could be a good few things.

Wouldn't mind checking joints so much but not having a garage and trying to line up time off work with decent weather never seems to go well at this time of year...

And no not replaced pads recently say 4-5k miles ago, so I guess its unlikely to be those.

I'll see about booking it in to the garage tomorrow because it needs sorting and report back here when I know what it is.

Appreciate your help oldcodger!

Turns out it is the Roll-bar Bushes, Glad really, not an expensive job and its something that can wait a little while until next payday!

Once replaced and tracking done i'd hope the pull goes away. Still not sure what the steering play could be though, Worn rack maybe?

Turns out it is the Roll-bar Bushes, Glad really, not an expensive job and its something that can wait a little while until next payday!

Once replaced and tracking done i'd hope the pull goes away. Still not sure what the steering play could be though, Worn rack maybe?

Should see what its like once you have the bushes replaced, though do wonder why the garage did not spot any steering rack wear when you say the play is so obvious ?

Perhaps try another garage for a second opinion ...?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links