Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door protection strips?

Ladyowner

Hi Everyone. Have just found two dents in the doors of my Rav where someone has opened their car door into mine.

Does anyone know if is it possible to buy those tear-drop shaped plastic bits that some older Ravs have on their door?

Afaik they fasten using adhesive tape (usually supplied prefixed to the back).

From the Automotiva FAQ section:

" Q: How are the mouldings fitted
A: Installation is quite easy and simple and can be done as a 'DIY' job. It takes approx. 20 minutes. No drilling is required as the mouldings are attached with two-side strong adhesive tape. This does not affect your vehicle warranty (as neither would a 'GB' sticker if you go abroad) "

The Automotiva ones I believe are copies rather than oem but  that doesn't mean that they don't do the job & they are obviously cheaper.

I got a ding the other day.  It was higher up, so in my case, these would not have helped.

I have thought of getting these, but they come black as standard and I recall someone telling me that they are unsuitable for colour code matching.

My car is white, so they would stand out too much.

Thanks Bobby. I think black would look good on your white Rav - you could add black roof rails for a bit of matching.I have looked at a few white Ravs myself as a change from grey/black/greige.

I bought a set of Automovita door trims for my last Auris and fitted them myself. You must not try to fit them if it's cold, wait for a warmish day unless you have a heated garage/workshop available.

You have to make measurements all the way along each side and place masking tape to give you the right positions. It's very easy to get misalignment between front and rear doors. The trims have double sided tape already applied to them, all you need to do is remove the protective paper and press them on to the door but that's easier said than done. If you touch any part of it to the door it will stick instantly so you need to present it to the door watching all aspects. It's better if you have someone standing back who can give guidance since you are close up and don't see the overall picture. Once pressed smooth them firmly with a duster and don't be tempted to try and move them around. 

Probably worth paying the dealer to take the chances!! 

As you mention,  once it touches the bodywork,  there is no real going back.

I've worked on cars for many years in the past, panel beating, spraying, putting coach lines on by hand, window tinting etc, if you don't have the experience or confidence, then I would suggest paying the dealer to do this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links